What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My basil plant has a few more batches of pesto left in it, I think. I have 10 in the freezer so far. I'm hoping to get 4 or 5 more batches. This week will be warm, so it should be ready for cutting by the weekend. Next year, I'd like to try some vegetables, maybe tomatoes and peppers. My neighbors have a raised plot with a wood border. I like that idea rather than digging in the ground. It'll be easier on my back. :D

The eggplants and tomatoes are finally starting to ripen. I picked two eggplants and turned them into Italian style pickled eggplant. Three jars in the fridge. I have to wait 24 hours before they're ready to eat. Can't wait!

I always envy folks who don't have to deal with this idiotic clay soil... :lol:

Our soil is mostly sand! One has to buy topsoil and add nutrients to it. Where I grew up in the farming country, the soil was deep black and so different from Florida "dirt."

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I suppose that if you don't have a nice loam, you have problems of one sort or another. I've had to deal with clay more than sand- but not far from where I live, there are sandy areas, and gardeners there have to add lots of leaves and stuff to the soil so it holds moisture and plant nutrients better. Clay is tough to work because it's so heavy and it's even worse when it's wet.

• Friendly
I always envy folks who don't have to deal with this idiotic clay soil... :lol:
Ha! I used to feel that way. Now I live in an area full of rocks. Any time I want to plant something, I've got to dig out rocks first. I sort of miss the clay soil! My corn grew extremely well in it last year, as did my zucchini plants.

• Friendly
I harvested crab apples from a neighbour's yard (with permission). I'm going to make jelly with it this week, and also maybe some pie.

I also have lots of eggplants, so I'm thinking of making moussaka or maybe a vegan version of eggplant Parmesan.

There's lots of celery still growing. I've already made a double batch of celery soup. Then I used the tops for a green smoothie. More celery tops are in the freezer, which I'll use to make vegetable stock.

The tomatoes aren't doing very well. I mean, the actual plants are huge, but there aren't many tomatoes, and the ones growing are still green. I also suspect the animals have eaten some of the tomatoes that were almost ripe. Grrr.

The parsnips didn't grow properly. I think the soil is too dense. I'll have to amend it with straw or something.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I harvested crab apples from a neighbour's yard (with permission). I'm going to make jelly with it this week, and also maybe some pie.

I also have lots of eggplants, so I'm thinking of making moussaka or maybe a vegan version of eggplant Parmesan.

There's lots of celery still growing. I've already made a double batch of celery soup. Then I used the tops for a green smoothie. More celery tops are in the freezer, which I'll use to make vegetable stock.

The tomatoes aren't doing very well. I mean, the actual plants are huge, but there aren't many tomatoes, and the ones growing are still green. I also suspect the animals have eaten some of the tomatoes that were almost ripe. Grrr.

The parsnips didn't grow properly. I think the soil is too dense. I'll have to amend it with straw or something.
I put "like" for the 1st 3 parts. Sorry about your tomatoes and parsnips. We ditched the idea of growing tomatoes a long ago. They fail to ripen even in the greenhouse. At least, we managed to grow cuckes, beets and lettuce in that greenhouse.

Carrots:

IMG_20200504_121129.jpg

Spinach plus a new mystery sprout:

IMG_20200504_121523.jpg
IMG_20200504_121559.jpg

Arugula:

IMG_20200504_121448.jpg

Swiss chard:

IMG_20200504_121240.jpg

Kale. The stalks are a little weak. I need to see if it's missing something nutritionally or if it might do better outside.

IMG_20200426_140810.jpg

Tomato. I have three growing indoors and one outdoors. They're doing well.

IMG_20200426_073250.jpg

Sunflower:

IMG_20200504_121408.jpg

This is not the whole garden! I'll post more soon.

Last edited:
Kale is probably lacking sunlight - that is way it is "stretched".
Nice garden!

Thank you! That would make sense because some of the other indoor greens are having the same issue.

I'm rigging up a squirrel-proof line so I can hang more baskets outside. I have a little backyard. It's about the size of a wrap-around balcony.

I have a surplus of basil and thyme seedlings. About 10 basil and maybe 30 thyme. I don't know how I ended up with that much thyme. It was one of the first things I planted. I guess I thought the germination rate would be lower.

So I made an illuminated hanging garden! I got string lights with clips, made little planters out of plastic juice bottles, and hung up about 25 seedlings. I don't turn the lights on too much; I'm not sure how they could affect the plants' growth at such a young age. But when they get a little bigger, it's going to be beautiful.

The first row of my hanging garden. As you can see, the collards are adjusting to being outside. I think they'll get used to it soon and will do better there. I'm going to add a second row of seedlings when it's no longer getting so cold at night.

IMG_4629.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.