What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does look like a marigold! I have heard Imereti saffron elsewhere, not sure where or why. It was for health reasons
Yes, this is the one. Marigold = red-ish imereti saffron. It does help against various stomach problems. It's also a powerful immunomodulator.:up:

Look at all the tomatoes! I found the little label stake that says they are "Moby Grape" tomatoes. They are doing extremely well! I have already given Sherri quite a few and I eat them like candy! :D

IMG_20190610_203805.jpg

Husband accidentally broke the tree in half. This is the fruit.
Banana or plantain, no idea.

Attachments

• received_2456961051193666.jpeg
    received_2456961051193666.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
@SuicideBlonde You can probably save your banana (or plantain). I'm pretty sure they can grow back from the base. I don't know if you can root the top and plant it though.

A bit off-topic, since it isn't about edible plants (well, actually it could be- more about that later * ): That strip of ground in many neighborhoods between the sidewalk and curb is sometimes called the "hellstrip" because it's so harsh a growing environment. (But look up Shel Silverstein's poem, "Where The Sidewalk Ends", for another take on this). Anyway, over the years, the grass in that area in front of my house has been taken over by (Latin names from my imperfect memory): least hop clover (Trifolium dubium), Lady's Thumb (Polygonum persicaria), and peppergrass (actually a weedy plant in the Cabbage family). I have creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides) in my yard; it was brought here by Europeans as an ornamental, but in some areas, it's classed as an invasive. The Lady's thumb and clover look as good as grass, I think, except that Lady's Thumb looks awful when you mow it, and you have to mow it because although it's naturally low-growing it's still too tall to allow to grow unchecked where people will be walking. I'm planting a small patch of the hellstrip (less than 10' to start) with bellflower and maybe Lady's Thumb, with a row of bricks or rocks bordering this patch and going from the sidewalk to the curb. I started some bellflower last year and 2 plants came through the winter; I planted a few more over the past week. The curb and sidewalk will keep them from becoming a problem, but I wonder if they'll start slugging it out with each other...

*-supposedly, Creeping Bellflower and Lady's Thumb are edible- but I wouldn't eat anything from this area because of dogs doing their thing in that area, and possibly lead accumulated the soil from the days of leaded gasoline. Even beyond that, though, I'm not sure I want to eat a lot of something that doesn't have a solid history of being regularly used as food.

Reactions: Val
The blackeyed peas I planted have come up, but of course they're still small. Now to plant some black and/or pinto beans to keep them company...

Be warned: PEPPERMINT IS SNEAKY. I planted a small spring someone gave me a few years ago; I rooted it in water (easy!) and planted it in my herb/ornamental area. First year: just one itty-bitty peppermint plant. Next year: a little bigger. The year after that: a little bigger... This year: SPROOOIIINNNNGGGGGGG!.... I knew mints are generally botanical thugs and I was keeping an eye on this stuff. But I'll never be short of peppermint (which is fine, because the stuff smells great and I'm strewing it around plants that other critters are bothering. These peppermint snippings won't take root and start invading my yard, but hopefully their strong odor will chase away bugs).

My cherry tomatoes are doing well- I kept a cutting of one over the winter and it became 3 plants, which should be enough for me (kinda hard to make tomato sandwiches with those little things).

E.T.A.: I harvested two garlic scapes off 2 of my 6 my garlic plants. Last year I let them form about a jillion bulbils, but this year I'm just harvesting them. They're tasty.

Last edited:
Hellstrip! We call it the tree lawn because in most neighborhoods the city plants a tree there. I feel lucky because we have a small pin oak or something that doesn't shed a ton of of leaves, but most everyone else has beautifully colorful maples!
The strip is only like 4 feet by maybe 20 or whatever the width is.
Damn. It's raining again. I've never been happier about not planting a garden :rolleyes:

My tomatoes are producing like crazy! I am giving them away to everyone! :D I have left the last pepper on the vine to hopefully ripen to red. It is starting to turn a little now. The marigold plant that is on the side with the tomatoes has gotten very tall also and has gorgeous blooms! Some of my flowers in the flower bed have expired. :(

IMG_20190628_192452.jpg

My tomatoes are producing like crazy! I am giving them away to everyone! :D I have left the last pepper on the vine to hopefully ripen to red. It is starting to turn a little now. The marigold plant that is on the side with the tomatoes has gotten very tall also and has gorgeous blooms! Some of my flowers in the flower bed have expired. :(

View attachment 17330
I love marigolds!🌺💖

Here is my last pepper. It is almost totally red. I had to pick it because it has a small crack or cut in it and it will go bad. The tomatoes are slowing down. I think this heat is getting to them!

IMG_20190705_171133.jpg

That's a beautiful pepper! I never had luck with bell peppers, but I did have a lot of hot Hungarian yellow peppers one year!
I'm really glad I gave up even the thought of gardening this year to be honest :rolleyes:

I should have planted more beans, and planted them earlier (I let them ripen completely and shell them for "dry" beans. The ones I did plant are doing well.

I don't know why the tomatoes are sulking, but it might be that I took cuttings the past few years at the end of every summer, kept them over the winter, and planted them outside in spring. Maybe you have to "refresh" your tomatoes by using seed every now and then?.....

I think my butternut squash will be ready to harvest soon. I mostly took a break from gardening this year; maybe it was a good idea. I'll get back into it big-time in 2020!

My tomatoes and peppers are done for the season. Some of the flowers will continue though. If I was ambitious, I could do a winter planting but I usually don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.