What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have honey bees in my tree! There are a bunch of smallish bee looking creatures anyway!

Reactions: Tom L.
I'm happy that my garlic and lovage have come up!

Lovage tastes like strong celery- one of my favorite flavors- but I've heard celery is hard to grow, and lovage is perennial. I divided it in 2017 but one of the clumps died last year. Now that I know you're supposed to plant garlic in the fall, I'm having better luck with it.

I never planted my garlic. :( I was thinking of doing it now but since we may be moving, maybe I will wait until I’m newly settled. Would be nice if that happens by the Fall. :)

I tried planting garlic a couple times and had no luck! Wish I could because I refuse to buy the ones from China! Why on earth would the US get so much garlic from China? It's just a thing, I'm not saying it's bad or anything. Trader Joes has pretty good organic garlic priced right

That looks really nice, Chryssie!

I tried planting garlic a couple times and had no luck! Wish I could because I refuse to buy the ones from China! Why on earth would the US get so much garlic from China? It's just a thing, I'm not saying it's bad or anything. Trader Joes has pretty good organic garlic priced right

Garlic doesn't like wet soil so build the soil higher than the surrounding level of the soil.

The snow finally melted enough for me to plant radish seeds and green onion bulbs out front.

I'll spend the long weekend weeding the rest of that front garden and removing the flower bulbs (ugly) and plant some romaine lettuce seeds. Also, I just put lupine seeds in the fridge. It's supposed to help them germinate in the spring... in 7 days I'll plant those outside.

Indoors, I have a bunch of seeds started: eggplant, ground cherries, red peppers, and watermelon. Soon I'll have to start the tomato seeds.

I never planted my garlic. :( I was thinking of doing it now but since we may be moving, maybe I will wait until I’m newly settled. Would be nice if that happens by the Fall. :)

Garlic is a rather small plant, and sometimes one or two cloves of a bulb of garlic start putting out green sprouts. The last bulb of garlic I bought had two of these; I carefully put them aside and potted up the two of them about a week or two ago. The sprout of one shriveled up, but I'm going to keep watering it a bit. The other one is definitely growing.

I don't know if garlic needs a cold period to start sprouting; I'm assuming it does because of my lousy luck with spring-planted garlic as opposed to fall-planted.

I'm taking today off; I'm fairly caught-up at work, but I've let my place get cluttered and I haven't started my romaine lettuce or plum tomatoes. If it's not too much trouble, could some of you give me a cyber-kick-in-the-pants?

One thing I did today: I have 3 Clivia miniata plants, which have grown from a small one I bought from a mail-order greenhouse in New England years ago. They form clumps by producing offshoots from the base, instead of getting leggy, and two of them are quit crowded- so I promised one of my co-workers I'd give them one when I divided mine. I did that this morning; it was easy- I just slid it out of its pot and the clump easily divided into two clumps. I repotted the two of them and gave them a good soaking. Weather permitting, I'll bring my co-worker their plant next week. It's an indoor plant, but I have to walk a few blocks to the bus.

ETA: here's a link that includes a good picture:

Plants & Flowers » Clivia miniata

It only blooms about once a year but the inflorescence lasts about a month. They're not hard to care for, either.... I often have to divide one, and they also produce offshoots which can be taken and rooted when they're small, before the parent plant really needs to be repotted- so if anyone here wants one, maybe I could mail you a small one. One caution: Clivia is in the Amaryllis family, and is somewhat poisonous, although I never had trouble with any of my cats trying to munch it and my rabbits didn't get the chance.

Last edited:
upload_2019-4-19_15-52-34.gif

This is the best I could do lol.

Yikes! I thought that was a mean horse, but then noticed the guy he kicked was doing something to his rear end...

Anyway, if anyone wants me to, I can look around and see how I would ship a small plant to them.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I don't know if these are bananas or plantains. This is the first time is has grown fruit. It was here when we bought the house. I have no idea.

Attachments

• bana.jpg
    bana.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
I don't know if garlic needs a cold period to start sprouting; I'm assuming it does because of my lousy luck with spring-planted garlic as opposed to fall-planted

Tom, normally you start to plant garlic after the shortest day of the year onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.