What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

I have been doin a lot of weeding. It's important not no have any weeds inside or around the greenhouse, because pests can live in the growth and also, they can get viruses from eating the weeds and then transfer the viruses to the plants. And some of the viruses are really hard to get rid of.

I covered the luffas with DIY mini greenhouses, because the greenhouse itself doesn't get warm enough. They like to be in a ridiculous heat (around 30 C), but also need enough moisture and the mini greenhouses, at least in theory, can provide that kind of an micro climate for them. And they won't get overheated or too much moisture, if I remove the house every day.
The luffas really liked the micro climate and aren't that dead anymore. It's not like I'm gonna get any sponges, but it's an interesting experiment.

The tomatoes have some fruit already, but those are still small and green. I should figure out a way to support them. I don't have any net, or the kinda plastic tubes that are typically used.

There are three spider webs in the greenhouse! We have a natural pest management system.

IMG_1726.jpg
Limoniums and salad.

IMG_1729.jpg
Centaurea cyanus and a honeybee.
IMG_1735.jpg
Zucchini
IMG_1740.jpg
I forgots what these flowers (on the picture above) are.

IMG_1752.jpg
I didn't get a good picture, but in the right top part of the pic there is a bug that was very fluffy, yellow and round and had a black thingy that looked like hummingbirds peak.

It was my last day at the garden.
But I might go there next year.
Here are my big bahbes.

IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg
Capsicum annuum Grossum -Group has made fruits, which is a bit of an miracle.
I accidentally gave them too much nitrogen, which lead to them growing a lot of leaves and getting powdery mildew.
I took the bad leaves, gave less fertilizer and more PK, less N. That kinda fixed the situation.
IMG_1771.jpg
This little guy is luffa. It did not like the soil, and the cold. But it looks a lot better now than what it was just a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_1774.jpg
Cucurbita pepo has some flowers going on.
IMG_1786.jpg
Calendula helps with distracting insects and I thinks they smell nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get mildly annoyed when I read online about growing bell peppers.
People always put so much emphasis on N. Sure N is important, most important during every growing phase.
But what I have learned is that K is usually given in even higher amounts than N.
When people give too much N, the growth will be weak, the flowering will be late and there will be poor yield.
Some plants can even get nitrate poisoning.
You just get big leaves, small yield, possibly poison your plants and yourself if you end up eating them...
And it's also bad for the environment, because nitrogen has a big carbon footprint. Depending of course, where you got it and whether or not it evaporates or gets into water ways.

IDK.
This is just what I have gathered. But me stupid, so don't take this as a fact or anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Blues and silva
In my notes there says that when your plots fertility class is poor-passable you can add K less than 150 kg/ha. But does that mean during a time period of a year? Two years? Three years?
I can't find anything from text books or online. :tired:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I think what confuses me is that in Yara's web page, they say that you should give another dose on K during the growing season.
And my brain got fried last night lol so thinking was impossible.

But yeah, as far as I know, you give the NPK before sowing the seeds. And before that, during Autumn, you take the fertility class tests and from the info you get from the tests, you make the fertilisation calculations.

Reactions: KLS52
I use to have a large no dig garden for about four years .
It was very successful.
I've been fascinated with the no dig method of gardening and only heard of it the last few years or so.

I use to have a large no dig garden for about four years .
It was very successful.
I have also been doing no-dig gardening.
But even with that, you need to know what nutrients and in what amounts the soil, compost, manure has.

But yeah, anyways. No dig gardening is the best thing you can do for the soils micro organism and all the creatures living in the soil. And when you don't disturb the soil and everything living in it, it can become almost self sustained, depending what you are growing.
Agroforestry systems with a lot of perennial plants are really good for no dig and with succession it might become self-sustained. If it has diversity of plants and genetic diversity, it has better change of surviving climate change.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I've been fascinated with the no dig method of gardening and only heard of it the last few years or so.
I made my beds raised of the ground , individual with 6.2 timber around them .
I read that the best way to start was to use the organic material that you lay on top of each other that is in your area.
Just used it for veggies

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have also been doing no-dig gardening.
But even with that, you need to know what nutrients and in what amounts the soil, compost, manure has.

But yeah, anyways. No dig gardening is the best thing you can do for the soils micro organism and all the creatures living in the soil. And when you don't disturb the soil and everything living in it, it can become almost self sustained, depending at you are growing.
Agroforestry systems with a lot of perennial plants are really good for no dig and with succession it might become self-sustained. If it has diversity of plants and genetic diversity, it has better change of surviving climate change.
Well I didn’t have the knowledge you have on the soil make up.
Just put the plots down and built a large plastic house above it all .
That kept the white fly out , birds and wind.
One thing use to do was after the cauliflower and broccoli was harvested,I would pull the plants out root’s and all lay them on the ground and run the mower With the catcher and into muh compost , composted super quick

Well I didn’t have the knowledge you have on the soil make up.
Just put the plots down and built a large plastic house above it all .
That kept the white fly out , birds and wind.
One thing use to do was after the cauliflower and broccoli was harvested,I would pull the plants out root’s and all lay them on the ground and run the mower With the catcher and into muh compost , composted super quick
That's honestly really cool.

Syntropic agriculrure is awesome. Instead of destroying the land, you end up creating a self sustained system that gives yield year after year with minimum effort. You don't even need outside compost. You protect the land, create more diverse biodiversity, grow trees that absorbs carbon. There are no downsides. The only reason, why this isn't more widely used technique is because you can't use machinery to harvest the crops.
But we should get rid of the machinery anyways, especially if those use fossil fuels.

1696545540823.png
1696545745851.png
I have meal bugs on my giant cactus outside. I want to find a good way to get rid of them without chemicals. My tortoises love it and I want to learn to cook with it. It is like this little fluffy stuff. (the picture is from goggle maps of my cactus) Any advice please.
It looks more in front of my house, but kind of the neighbor's house also.

Reactions: HappyRoxy
Not having any personal experience, I went to Google which said to pick/scrape them off or spray on rubbing alcohol or soapy water and oil. I do see that a lot in the Connecticut gardener group on fb. Most don't want to use pesticides and they use the soapy water or manual picking off method.

I think ladybird beetles and lacewings eat mealybugs, too.

That cactus looks HUGE... looks like a prickly pear to me. I know you can eat those anyway, but I forget whether only the fruit is edible, or the pads too (once the thorns have been cleaned off- I think they're quite small, but they're still irritating when they get in your skin)

my honey has been trying to grow sprouts from broccoli seeds that I have had for a very long time and they are sprouting very slowly, if at all, so I think I am going to get him some newer ones and also a grow bulb that fits into a small desk lamp as we do not get much sun other than early morning

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com