What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

@PTree15 Mmmm... basil....

I can still remember when my family moved in Autumn 1962, from an apartment to a flat in a 2-story house. It had a back yard, and our Italian landlord had almost all of it full of vegetables. One night, soon after we had moved in, I was in the back yard, and smelled fresh basil for the first time. It was AMAZING.

Not my garden. Someone posted in a Facebook garden group that she's working on building an English garden, so I googled traditional English gardens and these are some of my favorites. I never liked the manicured type gardens...I much prefer a more wild/natural look. 😍

IMG_4985.jpeg

My ”garden” deck, lol. It‘s so funny…the deck in my previous home was huge and I never used it. This one is so tiny and cozy and I just love it. I actually sit outside now and I thought I hated sitting outside! 🥰

DED90AFE-6F1E-4EA6-9535-0B5AB5156D23.jpeg

My ”garden” deck, lol. It‘s so funny…the deck in my previous home was huge and I never used it. This one is so tiny and cozy and I just love it. I actually sit outside now and I thought I hated sitting outside! 🥰

View attachment 28916
That rug is fabulous!! I want one!
I have a front porch but I only like sitting out front when it's dark. I wish I had a bad patio, or the neighbors would get that fence 🙄 Maybe I'll spring for a fence...

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have a front porch but I only like sitting out front when it's dark. I wish I had a bad patio, or the neighbors would get that fence 🙄 Maybe I'll spring for a fence...
Thanks! I love it...my son thinks it's hideous! :iiam: I felt bad for five minutes then got over it lol.

Don't you get eaten up alive by mosquitoes at night? I'm afraid to go out after sundown lol.

Thanks! I love it...my son thinks it's hideous! :iiam: I felt bad for five minutes then got over it lol.

Don't you get eaten up alive by mosquitoes at night? I'm afraid to go out after sundown lol.
I'm not as bothered by mosquitoes as most people, they don't even much land on me. Good because with other bug bites and I want to scratch to the bone!
Your by water right? We don't get a while lot

Reactions: KLS52

If the fence will on the property line between the two parcels, would your neighbors chip in on the cost? When I bought my place, there was a fence between me and the property just north of mine. After more than 20 year, it needed replacing, and I chipped in. It was a stockade fence, and the "back" of the fence (where the support posts were) faced their property- but as I saw it, maintenance was a mutual responsibility.

(about the rug) That rug makes a strong impression, and people will have similarly strong opinions about it. I think I like it!

When I moved in, I painted the walls in one of the 2 bedrooms a bright yellow, with white ceiling; the other one I went with bland beige. I like them both a LOT better than the eye-straining fuschia the previous (utterly tasteless!!!) owner had painted them.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Potatoes on the edge of a hügel bed. It's a shady place and they grow fast.
I had to carry ton of dirt on top of them, so that the potatoes won't go green. It took me forever and I almost died lol :weird:

IMG_1662.jpg

This is the herb spiral I build last summer. Those rocks were freaking heavy, but it was really fun to lift them.
Tomatoe, mesembryanthemum, oregano, hablitzia, chives, and maize. That's the maize that popped out of the ground. I can see now why. It had been transplanted in an awkward position.
IMG_1666.jpg

A rhododendron
IMG_1488.jpg
Hosta
IMG_1504.jpg
Good-King-Henry
IMG_1527.jpg
Strawberry
IMG_1664.jpg
Watermelon and Some flowers whose name I forgots.
I ended up removing all of that dried grass because it got a ton of mildew.
I think mildew might be somewhat ok outside, but in a greenhouse... Sounds biohazard.
IMG_1574.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how my herb spiral looked like last summer.

IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
I ran out of other materials, so I made a path out of cones.
IMG_1285.jpg
I also made a lasagna bed inside of the spiral. And then transplanted some lavender, thyme, oregano, chives, röllika and salvia.
All of them survived the winter, which is weird.
I covered the spiral with spruce branches for the winter, in a way that there was air left between the branches and the plants, in an attempt to not give frost bites to the plants.
Then people kept it covered with snow throughout the winter. That kept it warm enough. But then again, the winter wasn't that cold. Sage did get some frost bites tho'.
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1340.jpg

My garden looks like poop now. It’s been too hot to get out there and do anything. I do water every day when it doesn’t rain but the weeds have taken over and several of my hanging plants are no longer flowering. I actually think they got waterlogged with all of the rain we had. They just look so bad. I follow the CT Gardeners group on FB and they are saying that many of the plants/flowers are not doing well this year. Last year it was due to the drought and this year there was too much rain over a few weeks time. Some gardeners bring their hanging/potted plants inside when it calls for rain but I could never be bothered doing that. So I guess I got what I deserved, lol. 🤷‍♀️

The purple flower plant is too leggy and needs to be trimmed but I'm afraid of wrecking it. And sone if the longest stems have flowers on them. So I've left it alone. The other one isn't doing too badly.
IMG_5761.jpeg

I started my mild chili peppers late!!! But it's OK- I planted them in rather large pots and will be bringing them inside when the weather starts getting cold. I also started kale late, and will be overwintering that too (at least some of it) so that I'll get seeds next year- it's descended from a HUGE plant that survived the winter at a community garden I was in a few years ago.

I started my sweet corn (an heirloom variety- Iochief) and green beans (Romano, a pole type) some time ago, and the plants are HUGE. It will be strange not having any tomatoes in my garden. My chives survived the winter, and are doing well- I just have to weed them carefully to just get the weedy grass and not pull up the chives. The peppermint is doing fine, of course.

Oh- when I bought my place, it originally had a nice Yew bush in the yard, which at the time was about the size and shape of a round coffee table. I was too permissive with it, and it got somewhat out-of-control- so that now it's more than 5' high and 12' wide!!! But earlier this year, I cloned it: one low branch had started rooting along the ground, and this spring I cut it free from the main bush, dug it up, and planted it near my house foundation. It seems to be doing well, but I'll really know it's made it if it survives the winter and starts growing again next spring. Then I can start reducing the size of the original. Another idea: I wonder if I'm skilled/artistic enough to do a topiary?... Probably not.