What's in your Garden (& Indoor Plants)

I'm thinking positively too, @KLS52 !

I have a sneaky orchid cactus- or maybe I should be paying more attention to my houseplants. Yesterday I noticed a wilted flower on it. These flowers only stay open for one night- but the slowly-growing bud is quite large and hard to miss while it's getting ready to open. I don't have nearly as many plants as I did 25 years ago. I guess I've been busier with what I have growing outdoors lately (Romano pole beans, kale, hot peppers).

I'm planning on bringing the two hot pepper plants and two kale plants inside this winter.
Are you putting grow lights on the kale? and peppers?
I'd love to grow indoors

Reactions: Tom L.
No; I have large south-facing windows that effectively makes the whole hallway as bright as a greenhouse (almost). (I bought the place with solar energy in mind.) I've never grown kale indoors; it might be tricky if I want them to bloom and set seeds for me to keep, since they normally go dormant during the winter. If I leave them outside, I don't know if they'll survive; if I bring them indoors, I don't know if they'll go fully dormant. (Which reminds me- I was going to google about that today. BRB...)

But I have kept hot chili plants over the winter. They survived, made peppers, and were quite ornamental to boot!

Months ago on my mourning walk I noticed some guy had a compost bin like the one in the photo.
Right around the base next to the base of the bin he planted pumpkin 🎃 plants, about 10 of them .
Over the coming months they grew and cropped amazing high yield

Attachments

• EFDD0F5B-EF3E-4ACF-B328-0B24EDEA72ED.jpeg
    EFDD0F5B-EF3E-4ACF-B328-0B24EDEA72ED.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I picked my first peppers yesterday! They're not eactly the kind I thought they were from the pic on the seed packet; they look like Poblano or Cubanelle peppers, but are quite light-green (I haven't let them ripen fully to that bright red they'll probably get). I'll probably dig them up and pot them for over-wintering indoors as edible houseplants in a month (unless we get an early frost warning before then). Same with the kale, which has been growing rather slowly for some reason, although it looks healthy...

I was letting my first Romano pole beans ripen fully and dry, so I could either plant them next year or use them for bean soup, chili, pasta e fagioli, etc. They've started to produce a second wave of beans!... but I'll eat these fresh. I've eaten a few raw, right off the vines- YUM.

I've read that lima beans are perennials in warmer climates, but haven't heard that about green beans- not the full-size pole-climbing kind, anyway- I'm assuming that bush beans don't last very long in any case. I'm tempted to dig up one of the bean vines and see how it would do indoors, but I think I'd have to pollinate the flowers by hand (dressed up like John Belushi in one of the Saturday Night Live "Killer Bee" skits, maybe?...🤔)

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
My Epiphyllum cactus bloomed differently this time: it had about 5 buds in all- but about 3 bloomed one night, and the other 2 bloomed the next but stayed open into the early morning so I got to enjoy them in early daylight instead of having to turn on a lamp. Usually, they've been completely wilted by dawn. It was somewhat fragrant, but very faint- not at all like, say, a hyacinth.

Last edited:
We transplanted our tomato seedlings into the garden a couple of days ago and they are all doing well. I can't say the same for the cantaloupe seedlings. Out of 4, I have one left. Other than that though, the snow peas and shelling peas are going nuts!

Well google was right. F931A4BE-8E6A-47A5-8F55-3C4DA2418BBF.jpegSo we plant 60 spuds at the beginning of the season ,a late very heavy frost wiped them out when they were well sprouted .
We we’re going to dig the whole damn lot out .

But thought we would google it , they recon the spuds would sprout again which they did.

We just dug one plant and plenty of spuds there and learnt something

Last edited:
Well done on those taters! They look fantastic!
At the moment, we have tomatoes, basil, chamomile, eggplant, beets, green beans, and peppers.
Oh I see we are more or less on the same latitude. I might plant some peppers like you ,bit expensive in the supermarket’s and my acid free tomatoes 🍅 are starting to ripened

Reactions: KLS52 and HappyRoxy
Oh I see we are more or less on the same latitude. I might plant some peppers like you ,bit expensive in the supermarket’s and my acid free tomatoes 🍅 are starting to ripened
Oooh lucky you! We have 40 - 50 tomatoes at the moment, but all green. Our pepper plants are now in their 3rd year, so I think they may be coming to the end of their life. Last year, we got several lovely fruit from them though. I had eggplant plants last year too, but they died over the winter, so I am starting again with fresh ones this year.

The two (sweet? poblano?) pepper plants I dug up and brought inside don't seem to be doing well. It's really too early to tell, I suppose, but I might have to plant more of the seeds I bought to have plants next year. I knew their growth would slow down, but thought they would survive. Oddly, the tomato plant I started from a plant that was being thrown out, and subsequently potted with one of the peppers I brought inside, is doing well- although of course it's not blooming or setting fruit.

The two kale plants I brought inside appear to be surviving, although I'll have to be careful not to overwater them.

Reactions: HappyRoxy and KLS52
I have seedlings sprouted! I hope at least a few of them live!

20230301_102016.jpg
These are tomatoes. Since they were good sized sprouts, I put them in the bigger planter.
20230301_102023.jpg
There are carrots, onions and peppers in these starters. The peppers haven't really started yet.

The peppers did sprout so I got all the little seedlings planted in the bigger planter. They are still growing so I am hoping they keep going! I prepared my flower bed by raking up and picking up a bunch of leaves and then put down 4 bags of top soil. Then I got the native plants I had bought a while ago planted in the ground. Wednesday I get my flowers from the complex and will get the survivors from last year out of the boxes into the ground and put the new flowers in the boxes. I will get a few more flowers at the Flower show at the end of the month. Gardening is sure hard work! But I like flowers!

I have been working on my plants this morning! I got the flowers from my apartment management planted in the boxes, planted some flower seeds and re-potted my potted plants. I am hoping everything grows well!