My Adventures with Hydroponic Systems

VeganDawn

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Over the past couple of years, I've been getting into gardening. Both indoor and outdoor. For indoor getting, premade hydroponic systems are pricey just for the systems alone. Before I begin. If you get any or have any get GFCI outlets or adapters. Safety first. My grammar is lacking, such as transitional phrases and whatnot but here it goes.

My equipment. I have 3 Gardyn 1.0's with 30 slots each (bought at different times, one with a two-year subscription I think it was $1585, $531 second, $609 for the 3rd) for each unit after the promo code, so Timing matters. And I recently purchased a 36 slot Lettuce Grow Farmstand ($705.55) with the Ring Lights purchased separately ($600 plus tax). I also have 3 AeroGarden Harvest 360s 6 slots, 1 Harvest 6 slots, 1 bounty with 9 slots. I forget the prices for them, $149-249 I believe.

What I have learned.

While the plants themselves (seed and seedlings) are either non-GMO, Heirloom and or Organic These products use "synthetic" fertilizers. Which are chemical salts. I personally stopped using AeroGarden's "Miracle-Gro" by Scotts. I use the plant food that Gardyn formulates from their website for their systems and AeroGarden currently. I use Jack's Part A and Part B for the Lettuce Grow . It's cheaper to buy 25lb bags. Alternatively, for part A ($100 on Amazon) you can get Peter's Hydroponic formula which was the original part A ($80). (made by the same company). In bulk can be as little as pennies per gallon saving a lot in nutrient cost vs buying it 1lb at a time $14 part A $14 Part B ($28) currently. Part B is $58 for 25lbs currently on Amazon.

Operating Costs:

Not counting seeds/pods, Netcups, nutrients.
Electricity jumped form .11 to .14 .cnts per kw hour so I'm trying to average out the cost.

Firstly, for the Gardyn's I have learned that the KELBY app and subscription is not worth the price. Kelby is the AI helper which interacts with you on your phone. If you go with just the unit and plant your own seeds using net cups, Rockwool it is far cheaper. The annual electricity cost will be around $96-104 per Gardyn and around $6 for water for the 6-gallon tank. Kelby reminds you to fill the tank, trim the roots, and discard discolored leaves. But it's really been buggy at least the first year and 3 months of it.

Secondly, the LG cost $79 a year in electricity with the lights and around $18 a year for water indoors for its 20.5-gallon tank. You can set up the LG outside and the pump is only 50 cents a month to operate.

Thirdly, that leaves the Aerogardens. Which is the worst in terms of production and costs because of fewer slots and being horizontal. For growing larger plants, it means leaving some slots empty. As for the Harvest models, the height is limited to about a foot so you are also limited on what plants you can grow. Neither of those is an issue for Gardyn or LG as vertical towers mean more plants and more height for growth.

The AeroGarden it's basically just for herbs, lettuce and cherry tomatoes. For the Bounty model, you can grow a couple of pepper plants. The cost to run these systems is $40- a year for the Bounty, $18 for Harvests. Water cost is basically nothing. as the tanks are .6 gallons for the harvests and for the bounty 1.1 gallons.

In terms of cleaning the units. Gardyns are the worst. Taking them apart and scrubbing the insides is a bit difficult. The other systems are not that bad. AeroGardens are small and easy to clean. LG is larger and because of that cleaning is easier no small tight spaced parts.

As for durability.
Gardyns tend to crack. I've had to replace modules and columns. It's covered under the one-year warranty. But anything after that is out of pocket. I've purchased 3 columns as backups. While the function of the Gardyns is great and the aesthetics are pleasant I'm not too sure that that outweighs the repairs. Both AeroGarden and LG are built much better in terms of durability.''

Trellis options are different for each. The small AeroGardens don't need them. LG usings an eye bolt on the top and strings attached to walls and floor. Gardyn is more like cable management to control vining plants. Cucumbers, Snap Peas.

Problems.

PH testing when feeding the plants is one of the chores. As well as maintaining a decent room temperature and humidity level. I live in a basement apartment and this has been the most challenging aspect of battling against the dehumidifier. For me, lettuce and Cherry tomatoes grow the best in all the systems.

Pests... Sigh this is a universal problem for all units for all locations for all people. But I've had Aphids, Scale bugs, some I have yet to identify. It's manageable through various methods. It's annoying but it happens.

Algae is a problem for all units but I've heard Grapefruit Seed Extract works wonders and I am going to try that after my next resets.

Checking the Nutrient Ratios I haven't done it myself but a lot of pros say to get an EC meter to check the electrical conductivity of the solution in the tank.

In conclusion, I'd say the LG is the better unit because it does well with production, can be indoor or outdoor and cost less to run. (more durable)
Gardyn is my second choice despite its faults. Once you get the hang of the system it's easy to grow crops but clean up and the brittleness of it is a downer.

Aerogarden is just too limited in comparison and best for seed starting. It is the easiest and cheapest for a premade unit.

I haven't taken photos of the LG yet or even bother the Aerogardens since there are tons of AG user photos online. I just wanted to break down some of the key points that might be of concern to anyone who is interested in growing indoors given the current global situation. I got a propagation tray under 2 of my 360's while I wait for my grow light to arrive. Then I will be using 2 of my 360s for seed starting so I can plant outdoors as we. Right now I'm germinating grow sponges for the LG. to start fresh with it.

There are do-it-yourself hydroponic systems that are far cheaper on YouTube. Stacked Buckets looks promising. And if you have a 3D printer Printed Tower and This One looks good. I haven't tried them but I want to.

Aquaponics is better for the environment as opposed to synthetic nutrients (disposal).

If you feel like buying a Gardyn or LG please use my codes so I can get free seeds/credits.

$50 Off for you $50 credit for me

code FRIEND-AUNI at LettuceGrow.com (good for the first 3 people, then I'd got to get a new code)

Or $125 OFF for you and 2 months free subscription for me (free seeds)

code rfanna67194 at MyGardyn.com

Attachments

• C0060T01.JPG
    C0060T01.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220403_141619870.jpg
    IMG_20220403_141619870.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lou
Over the past couple of years, I've been getting into gardening. Both indoor and outdoor. For indoor getting, premade hydroponic systems are pricey just for the systems alone. Before I begin. If you get any or have any get GFCI outlets or adapters. Safety first. My grammar is lacking, such as transitional phrases and whatnot but here it goes.

My equipment. I have 3 Gardyn 1.0's with 30 slots each (bought at different times, one with a two-year subscription I think it was $1585, $531 second, $609 for the 3rd) for each unit after the promo code, so Timing matters. And I recently purchased a 36 slot Lettuce Grow Farmstand ($705.55) with the Ring Lights purchased separately ($600 plus tax). I also have 3 AeroGarden Harvest 360s 6 slots, 1 Harvest 6 slots, 1 bounty with 9 slots. I forget the prices for them, $149-249 I believe.

What I have learned.

While the plants themselves (seed and seedlings) are either non-GMO, Heirloom and or Organic These products use "synthetic" fertilizers. Which are chemical salts. I personally stopped using AeroGarden's "Miracle-Gro" by Scotts. I use the plant food that Gardyn formulates from their website for their systems and AeroGarden currently. I use Jack's Part A and Part B for the Lettuce Grow . It's cheaper to buy 25lb bags. Alternatively, for part A ($100 on Amazon) you can get Peter's Hydroponic formula which was the original part A ($80). (made by the same company). In bulk can be as little as pennies per gallon saving a lot in nutrient cost vs buying it 1lb at a time $14 part A $14 Part B ($28) currently. Part B is $58 for 25lbs currently on Amazon.

Operating Costs:

Electricity jumped form .11 to .14 .cnts per kw hour so I'm trying to average out the cost.

Firstly, for the Gardyn's I have learned that the KELBY app and subscription is not worth the price. Kelby is the AI helper which interacts with you on your phone. If you go with just the unit and plant your own seeds using net cups, Rockwool it is far cheaper. The annual electricity cost will be around $96-104 per Gardyn and around $6 for water for the 6-gallon tank. Kelby reminds you to fill the tank, trim the roots, and discard discolored leaves. But it's really been buggy at least the first year and 3 months of it.

Secondly, the LG cost $79 a year in electricity with the lights and around $18 a year for water indoors for its 20.5-gallon tank. You can set up the LG outside and the pump is only 50 cents a month to operate.

Thirdly, that leaves the Aerogardens. Which is the worst in terms of production and costs because of fewer slots and being horizontal. For growing larger plants, it means leaving some slots empty. As for the Harvest models, the height is limited to about a foot so you are also limited on what plants you can grow. Neither of those is an issue for Gardyn or LG as vertical towers mean more plants and more height for growth.

The AeroGarden it's basically just for herbs, lettuce and cherry tomatoes. For the Bounty model, you can grow a couple of pepper plants. The cost to run these systems is $40- a year for the Bounty, $18 for Harvests. Water cost is basically nothing. as the tanks are .6 gallons for the harvests and for the bounty 1.1 gallons.

In terms of cleaning the units. Gardyns are the worst. Taking them apart and scrubbing the insides is a bit difficult. The other systems are not that bad. AeroGardens are small and easy to clean. LG is larger and because of that cleaning is easier no small tight spaced parts.

As for durability.
Gardyns tend to crack. I've had to replace modules and columns. It's covered under the one-year warranty. But anything after that is out of pocket. I've purchased 3 columns as backups. While the function of the Gardyns is great and the aesthetics are pleasant I'm not too sure that that outweighs the repairs. Both AeroGarden and LG are built much better in terms of durability.''

Trellis options are different for each. The small AeroGardens don't need them. LG usings an eye bolt on the top and strings attached to walls and floor. Gardyn is more like cable management to control vining plants. Cucumbers, Snap Peas.

Problems.

PH testing when feeding the plants is one of the chores. As well as maintaining a decent room temperature and humidity level. I live in a basement apartment and this has been the most challenging aspect of battling against the dehumidifier. For me, lettuce and Cherry tomatoes grow the best in all the systems.

Pests... Sigh this is a universal problem for all units for all locations for all people. But I've had Aphids, Scale bugs, some I have yet to identify. It's manageable through various methods. It's annoying but it happens.

Algae is a problem for all units but I've heard Grapefruit Seed Extract works wonders and I am going to try that after my next resets.

Checking the Nutrient Ratios I haven't done it myself but a lot of pros say to get an EC meter to check the electrical conductivity of the solution in the tank.

In conclusion, I'd say the LG is the better unit because it does well with production, can be indoor or outdoor and cost less to run. (more durable)
Gardyn is my second choice despite its faults. Once you get the hang of the system it's easy to grow crops but clean up and the brittleness of it is a downer.

Aerogarden is just too limited in comparison and best for seed starting. It is the easiest and cheapest for a premade unit.

I haven't taken photos of the LG yet or even bother the Aerogardens since there are tons of AG user photos online. I just wanted to break down some of the key points that might be of concern to anyone who is interested in growing indoors given the current global situation. I got a propagation tray under 2 of my 360's while I wait for my grow light to arrive. Then I will be using 2 of my 360s for seed starting so I can plant outdoors as we. Right now I'm germinating grow sponges for the LG. to start fresh with it.

There are do-it-yourself hydroponic systems that are far cheaper on YouTube. Stacked Buckets looks promising. And if you have a 3D printer Printed Tower and This One looks good. I haven't tried them but I want to.

Aquaponics is better for the environment as opposed to synthetic nutrients (disposal).

If you feel like buying a Gardyn or LG please use my codes so I can get free seeds/credits.

code FRIEND-AUNI at LettuceGrow.com (good for the first 3 people, then I'd got to get a new code)

wow, you can feed yourself but the systems sound a bit pricey. I am a great believer in SPROUTING to grow your own food. Broccoli, alfalfa,
clover, peas, sunflower greens, wheatgrass, etcetera are a great place to start. When you sprout you triple the nutrition of that seed. cheers.
Longer video...

Reactions: VeganDawn

What I have learned.

Operating Costs:

As for durability.

Problems.

I will say do not get the Glow rings/ Ring lights for the Lettuce Grow. Mine shorted out and the cord burned straight thru. I'd use an external lighting kit. Other than that, the LG units remain solid.

Greetings. Here is an update. The Lettuce Grow Glow Rings Tend to Short Out catch Fire then extinguish. So Do not use the Lettuce Grow Indoors. Use The Sun Instead.

As for container gardens that use Potting Soil, I find that GreenStalks ( I have 2 of the original 5 tier units) work great outdoors, far better than Mr. Stacky Units which I have 3. I also find that grow bags work but there is the issue of what they are made from such as the possibility of Felt, Plastics, etc.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230311_092849.jpg
    thumbnail_20230311_092849.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnail_20230311_092911.jpg
    thumbnail_20230311_092911.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for sharing. There are many sellers of hydroponic systems as more and more humans seek to grow their
own food. I think it is a good idea to grow our own food and hydroponic gardening is growing in popularity. I have
never done this but am researching which systems are the safest and most functional to use. I looked at one tower system
that cost over$800 each with the options of adding grow lights and a stabilizing tower around it. John Kohler who is vegan,
recommends another system that is not as costly.

There are however many, many, youtube video's showing you how to make your own IF you are willing to
purchase the parts, drill the holes, and do the rest of the work.

One of my concerns is the PVC plastic pipes used in many of the videos and systems for sale. PVC contains many
chemicals. If in the sun or a hot environment, the chemicals from the pipes used in the hydroponic systems
could possible leech into the water and therefore into the seeds and plants grown. Its' something to think about.

Here are some ideas to ponder...
make your own system

Reactions: VeganDawn
Thank you for sharing. There are many sellers of hydroponic systems as more and more humans seek to grow their
own food. I think it is a good idea to grow our own food and hydroponic gardening is growing in popularity. I have
never done this but am researching which systems are the safest and most functional to use. I looked at one tower system
that cost over$800 each with the options of adding grow lights and a stabilizing tower around it. John Kohler who is vegan,
recommends another system that is not as costly.

There are however many, many, youtube video's showing you how to make your own IF you are willing to
purchase the parts, drill the holes, and do the rest of the work.

One of my concerns is the PVC plastic pipes used in many of the videos and systems for sale. PVC contains many
chemicals. If in the sun or a hot environment, the chemicals from the pipes used in the hydroponic systems
could possible leech into the water and therefore into the seeds and plants grown. Its' something to think about.

Here are some ideas to ponder...
make your own system
John is trying out the Lettuce Grow mentioned above which is made from recycled Milk jugs. Good product except for the Glow Rings. So far I much prefer the GreenStalks which is kind of a cross between hydroponics and pots because of its water delivery system built in. For them, I use organic stuff and not synthetic fertilizing salts. The Gardyns break and are a pain to clean.

I have the same concerns with the PVC. Cinder blocks at least the old ones from 50 years ago leech lead and so do fences and panels. And in the case of my father-in-law the lamp post is coated in spray paint where he grows a few tomato plants.

The rain and air itself is said to be contaminated with glyphosate. So it's like what is the best method?

John while a health vegan is not an ethical vegan, he uses animal products in his garden. I finally have a good vegan regimen that grows fantastic crops with the only animal products used are fish poop and worm castings. I could elaborate on that in another post perhaps if people are interested. This year I may take photos.

Food grade 5-gallon buckets can be used to make a hydroponic tower for $75-$120. Pain in the butt to make it'll work.