What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to interplant "Kentucky Wonder" pole beans and blackeyed peas. I'm hoping that the blackeyed peas, which no animals seem to bother, will chase away my neighbor's woodchuck so he doesn't even know those tasty pole beans are there.

I've got wild onions and garlic mustard (two edible weeds) growing in my yard. I'm not sure it would be healthy to eat too much of them at once, even though they're considered to be edible... but after a summer of steady, moderate munching, I should have them under control. Those wild onions sure have tough, chewy stalks.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
Val-Unghshu is still at the country, so i'm posting the pictures of some plants and flowers from our garden. It's been too cold for anything to grow up, so these are just the hints of what it should be. Plus, no one is able to do gardening 24/7, so there's not much left (compared to what it used to be when granny Nina was alive). (I'll post pictures of shrubs, tomatoes, cukes and berries when something ripens).

Rhubarb shrubs.
IMG_20190525_221333.jpg

Some of plum flowers.
IMG_20190525_221221.jpg

Baby-lettuce and baby-beets.
IMG_20190525_222815.jpg

Forget-me-not's and clover under the one of our pines.IMG_20190525_221710.jpg

"Other" flowers and my dirty boots, hehehe.
IMG_20190525_221952.jpg

IMG_20190525_221853.jpg

IMG_20190525_221758.jpg

IMG_20190525_221520.jpg

IMG_20190525_222209.jpg

On the right - is an old rug. Russians love their rugs and put them everywhere they can.:p
IMG_20190525_221445.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blues and Chryssie
What is the tree in the back? It is the first time it had blossomed since we have been here.
(Tall, white flowers)

Attachments

• 20190525_175856.jpg
    20190525_175856.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Val
I vote for "yucca", too.

My peach tree is done blooming, and has tiny peaches on it. Going by past years, they won't be grown and ripe for about 3 months. It's been so chilly here that I've been afraid to put my cherry tomatoes out or plant the beans. I just know that the weather will warm up, now that I'm planting my romaine lettuce.

It is so weird that a lot of you are still having chilly weather when we are burning up down here! Heat indexes of 105 all week!

It is so weird that a lot of you are still having chilly weather when we are burning up down here! Heat indexes of 105 all week!
We might dip into the 40s in the next day or so. Not happy. It should be warm now.

What is the tree in the back? It is the first time it had blossomed since we have been here.
(Tall, white flowers)

Yes, it looks like a yucca, although they normally only flower from mid summer onward?

The peppers are growing! I have now picked quite a few tomatoes and the plants are getting very tall!

IMG_20190602_172957.jpg

IMG_20190602_173007.jpg

I have the tomatoes tied to the fence because the wind blows them over!

Reactions: KLS52
VERY impressive, @Chryssie ! (And one of your photos reminded me I forgot to start Marigolds indoors. I haven't figured out whether or not they keep bugs away from the rest of my plants, but I like the way they look, with their warm shades of orange and yellow. I have the full-size "African" marigolds.)

It must be Florida that makes tomatoes grow into giant "bean stalks". I don't remember any tomato plants from my childhood getting anywhere near that tall!

VERY impressive, @Chryssie ! (And one of your photos reminded me I forgot to start Marigolds indoors. I haven't figured out whether or not they keep bugs away from the rest of my plants, but I like the way they look, with their warm shades of orange and yellow. I have the full-size "African" marigolds.)
They do. Wonderful flowers.:flirt: Besides keeping bugs away, they have plenty of useful properties and health benefits.
When i was little, we always had them in our garden, but i never realized how magical they are, until recently (it was right before i got down with that malicious flu) Sumerian gods gave me a hint that i should take "Imereti saffron". Then they led me (physically) to the place where they were sold. I'd never been in that shop, moreover i'd never been to that place before, but i went to that shop, not knowing what for i was moving my limbs towards that building, haha. And i found little cute boxes in there (a big choice of various spices). One of them was "Imereti saffron" (or "marigold", or our well-knows "Barkhatzy", which translates like "tiny piece of velvet cloth"). I googled it quickly and was astonished how much i needed them (it helps against my eternal bloating very well), but that evening i didn't know yet that i would have needed it badly during my first hard week of that flu. I had severe dysbacteriosis because of those little bastards (viral RNA), and i was taking dried (boiled) marigold flowers as a drink, and my stomach got better, and i was able to eat again. The most amazing bonus is that i noticed (i didn't expect that!) that barkhatzy fight bloating. Bloating might sound funny and not serious to a person who never encountered such a bad bloating like mine, but it doesn't feel like fun to me. And i realized that i can fight it effectively with imereti saffron!:ma: I'm too lazy though,- i haven't been making "otvar" (weak decoction) for a long time. You won't believe me, but i have been thinking about barkhatzy for a couple days now, because i've already za@balas' (sorry, it's "mat") to fix my bloating with diosmectite,- moreover it's bad for you - taking such enormous quantities of diosmectite.
Article about wonderful properties of imereti saffron (sorry, it's quite brief, but it was hard for me to find anything decent on this subject in English:iiam:).
eBay

^^^ Interesting!

What we call "saffron" in English is quite different: it's pollen (stamens, actually) from a type of Crocus flower. So even though these two things are deep yellow and made from flowers, they're different. The saffron from crocus blossoms is so expensive because it has to be harvested by hand from the flowers, and that takes workers a lot of time to collect just a little bit.

^^^ Interesting!

What we call "saffron" in English is quite different: it's pollen (stamens, actually) from a type of Crocus flower. So even though these two things are a deep yellow-colored powder made from flowers, they're different. The saffron from crocus blossoms is so expensive because it has to be harvested by hand from the flowers, and that takes workers a lot of time to collect just a little bit.
That's what i'm talking about!:p I'm saying it's not real saffron. The one that i have is "Imereti saffron" (barkhatsy).
This is the one (barkhatsy). Is this also called "Marigold" in English?
IMG_20190608_195953.jpg

That does look like a marigold! I have heard Imereti saffron elsewhere, not sure where or why. It was for health reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.