What's in your garden? (2016 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
Folks in the southern hemisphere can regale us on their recent harvests. Us northerners are literally just warming up, except maybe for those of us closer to the equator...

I mentioned before that I've had such lousy luck starting tomatoes from seed, I now usually take cuttings from my plants and grow them over the winter inside. They're big enough now that I can take cuttings from THEM and have even more plants. Today I noticed a cherry-size red tomato on one of the still-potted plants and ate it- it had no seeds or juice, but was quite tasty. The cuttings are only a week old but are rooting in water, lightning-fast. They'll be big enough to pot in compost or plant out in no time. If only it were warmer...

I have some kale coming up- they're grown from seeds I took from a huge kale plant, several feet tall, which lived for 4 years in one of the community garden plots. I've planted them before but they never get as big as their parent for some reason...

The romaine lettuce I planted didn't come up, so I planted more from a newer packet of seeds. I also planted some big "Crackerjack" marigolds, okra, and some butternut squash- all from seeds which I saved from my own plants. I think that just about does it, except for the mini-watermelon and black/pinto beans... I might not have room for the beans and bean seeds keep for a few years, so maybe I'll leave them for next year.

Reactions: ledboots
I bought "stuff"!
6e7a89b4241b09f6c8f70701b1e08dee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two 40 lb bags of topsoil because it was $1.49/bag. Can I plant the tomatoes and cucumbers in topsoil? It has a picture of vegetables and flowers on the bag. The tomatoes are tabletop varieties and I'm going to repot them in containers.

I can't believe I talked hubby into making this for me! It will go on our deck. Of course, he only said he would do it. We will have to see if it really happens!

07167085f09de3a5d702365c68337b85.jpg

The tomato plants are very tall now! The big one has several small tomatoes on it and the smaller one has a cluster that is getting red now plus some other smaller ones. I am so excited!

Jeremy and the tomato plants.jpg

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
We have been treating the leaves with a soapy solution that is to deter bugs and it seems to be working fairly well. There are a couple of nibbled leaves but for the most part I think the soapy water works pretty good.

Excellent. My mom used the soapy water (up north), and also she made a spray of cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder. Lol, the tomatoes were preseasoned. [emoji41]

Reactions: KLS52
Thanks! He did a really good job!

The four tomato cuttings were rooted and in little pots of compost for about two weeks, so Iplanted them in the community garden last Saturday. I checked on them today and they're coming along fine. The dill which self-seeded from last year is growing fast, and the butternut squash I planted is too- I don't think I'll have room to plant beans OR watermelon!

The kale is almost ready to plant out (I wish I'd started it earlier but sometimes that doesn't work for me...) A kale plant (also a descendant from that super kale tree I mentioned above) in the comnmunity plot is two years old but I don't think it's going to make it any longer. I might keep this year's kale plants in my own yard, so I can pay more attention to them. I wish the okra had germinated better though- I only have a few plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.