What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plants are not doing as well as I had hoped and they are nothing like last season's. I think getting a later start will be detrimental to the success of the vegetables. It got hot way too early in the spring too. Oh well we shall see what happens.

My plants are not doing as well as I had hoped and they are nothing like last season's. I think getting a later start will be detrimental to the success of the vegetables. It got hot way too early in the spring too. Oh well we shall see what happens.
This happened to us here, last spring/summer. It's disappointing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
That's so disappointing. I hope they rebound later in the season for you.

That's so disappointing. I hope they rebound later in the season for you.

The grape tomato plant is doing better than the other one and has several clusters of little tomatoes. The other plant has only 2 tomatoes and I see no new blossoms. The pepper has one pepper and had other small ones but they are gone now so I guess they fell off or some creature got them. Green beans look sickly too. :( This is the first time I have put the plants in the ground instead of in the big smart pots. Maybe there is something to the smart pot method!

• Sad
Reactions: Val and PTree15
I’m still lol-ing at my daughter...now she sent me a video of a skunk slinking under their new fence and going straight for the onions. He dug up at least one plant. 😂 I know it’s not really funny. She’s just so naive. And is really working hard at making the garden work. It’s out of character for her. I’m actually impressed. I guess it just shows that we don’t know everything about a person, even someone as close as a family member. And people do grow and change. 😊 I’m not laughing at her...just feeling a little amused by it.

Anyway, she put up this nice little fence and bought some electronic bat thing to scare away critters. Apparently it’s not working hahahahaha. I’ll post pictures of her garden in here since I won’t have one of my own. She made these really cute stakes...painted them and write the name of the vegetable on it. They came out really nice.

I think if I had the funds and wherewithal to really invest in a good barrier to keep out animals I might be more into it. But I’m not there right now. It’s too soon in the new house. Too many other priority projects to be done.

Son is doing a great job outside. He moved all the rocks from that rectangular piece of yard...the one I said I would drop a shed on lol. He’s working on the backyard where all the leaves and brush are in the rock mountain. I’d rather him clear out the side of the house where the flower bed is, but I think I need to let him have a little freedom to work on his own vision. It will look nice when it’s done. I may tackle the side of the house myself today. It’s going to be great weather again.

I’m living vicariously through my daughter and her garden haha. I love the curly carrots. The soil here is so rocky but she said they are good and really sweet!
B058FF24-65A0-41A4-B60B-9D349A84C4F5.jpeg

My massive bed of oregano is in full bloom and it's always covered in bumble bees, but today for the first time in years, I have honey bees in my garden! I'm so pleased. At first I thought they were mason bees, but they're honey bees!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
My massive bed of oregano is in full bloom and it's always covered in bumble bees, but today for the first time in years, I have honey bees in my garden! I'm so pleased. At first I thought they were mason bees, but they're honey bees!
I hate oregano, but if thought bees would like it I'd plant some!

I can’t stand oregano either. I’m probably the worst human of Italian descent on the planet lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Lol, in THIS case, you can plant 20 beds of oregano and then give it all to me, because i use it as lung remedy.:lol:
I have oil of oregano- that stuff is gold for lessening all kinds of symptoms. I swear it reduces the length of cold symptoms. the smell :yuck:

• Friendly
I have oil of oregano- that stuff is gold for lessening all kinds of symptoms. I swear it reduces the length of cold symptoms. the smell :yuck:
Now imagine how crazy Unghshu is: i steep 20 gramms of crushed oregano leaves in 1800 mls of hot boiling water, and drink it up when it cools down. Its oil's taste is so strong, that it seems(!) that it burns my mouth's mucouos membranes. But, if COPD is in its "moment of bad exacerbation", and if my left lung starts aching,- the fastest way to improve things is to drink up a big doze of this magic potion. I'm hoping that when mom comes back to the country tomorrow, she'll bring 10 sachets of dried crushed oregano leaves that she bought today. Anyway, its taste is not as bad as cilantro, e.g.

Now imagine how crazy Unghshu is: i steep 20 gramms of crushed oregano leaves in 1800 mls of hot boiling water, and drink it up when it cools down. Its oil's taste is so strong, that it seems(!) that it burns my mouth's mucouos membranes. But, if COPD is in its "moment of bad exacerbation", and if my left lung starts aching,- the fastest way to improve things is to drink up a big doze of this magic potion. I'm hoping that when mom comes back to the country tomorrow, she'll bring 10 sachets of dried crushed oregano leaves that she bought today. Anyway, its taste is not as bad as cilantro, e.g.
Hmmmmm....I have done that with thyme, and maybe sage....anything would be better than cilantro!
I was surprised how well chewing a slice of ginger helped when I felt an asthma attack come on! I forgot what the trigger was- I was home :shrug:

• Friendly
Hmmmmm....I have done that with thyme, and maybe sage....anything would be better than cilantro!
I was surprised how well chewing a slice of ginger helped when I felt an asthma attack come on! I forgot what the trigger was- I was home :shrug:
I drink liters and liters of steeped sage during the day,- mom thinks that i'm insane, but it makes my stomach feel perfect, so i'm ok with it.😁
This is surprising, but there is one dish where i can tolerate cilantro: Abkhazian (authentic) Ajapsandal. Anyway, Abkhazians are so in love with cilantro, that it's the only grass they grow in their gardens, and they put it in everything (literally). Their favourite dish is a very dense puree, made of boiled mashed red kidney beans, finely chopped cilantro and a few-component seasoning. They eat this puree with bread, adjiga and just as it is.
Also, when we went to an Abkhazian restaurant here, in SPb, my ex-bf (silly boy) was eating some beef steak with cheese covering. And Unghshu was eating Ajapsandal, which contained cilantro, but it was made properly, so no regrets.
Restaurants in Abkhazia, surprisingly, didn't wan't to condescend to me and cook me vegan Ajapsandal, so i limited myself with home-made versions. Nevertheless, when i was making it here, at home, i never put cilantro (i'm fed up with it).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.