What's in your Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my veggie plants are dying! I don't know what happened to them. The stupid very hot, then very wet, then dry weather did them in I guess. :(
Oh no that’s terrible! Has that ever happened before? Or is the weather more unsettled than usual?

Oh no that’s terrible! Has that ever happened before? Or is the weather more unsettled than usual?
This is the first time since I started having plants here at the apartment that I have had a "crop failure." I think the whole messed up spring is probably part of the problem. I couldn't get plants early enough and the weather got extremely hot too early. I didn't use the smart pots either deciding to try planting directly in the ground. I will not do that again next year!

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
This is the first time since I started having plants here at the apartment that I have had a "crop failure." I think the whole messed up spring is probably part of the problem. I couldn't get plants early enough and the weather got extremely hot too early. I didn't use the smart pots either deciding to try planting directly in the ground. I will not do that again next year!
I'm sorry your plants didn't make it. That's so disappointing! I wonder whether it's the soil in the ground. Do other people in your complex have vegetables in the ground?

I still only ended up doing basil. I wanted to do tomato plants in pots, but the weather up here also was kind of crazy this spring. As it was, I couldn't even put the basil plant out until early June. Usually we can start in mid-May, but it was too cold this year.

• Friendly
I'm sorry your plants didn't make it. That's so disappointing! I wonder whether it's the soil in the ground. Do other people in your complex have vegetables in the ground?

I still only ended up doing basil. I wanted to do tomato plants in pots, but the weather up here also was kind of crazy this spring. As it was, I couldn't even put the basil plant out until early June. Usually we can start in mid-May, but it was too cold this year.

I don't think many people plant vegetables at all here in the complex. My friends/neighbors planted their veggies in pots and they are doing pretty well although a couple of them did die. I know the soil is bad so I did put top soil down but I think I should stick with pots from now on.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and PTree15
I don't think many people plant vegetables at all here in the complex. My friends/neighbors planted their veggies in pots and they are doing pretty well although a couple of them did die. I know the soil is bad so I did put top soil down but I think I should stick with pots from now on.
I like the pots because you don't have to dig up the yard. I've noticed that most of my neighbors who grow vegetables have either pots or raised beds, so I'm guessing my soil wouldn't be great for planting.

I pulled up the dead plants. I now have space for more flowers or maybe a couple of small heat hardy shrubs. I will have to do some research. It is not the best time to plant things now with the extreme heat.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and PTree15
I’m thinking I might want to try a garden at some point. Not this year obviously. But I’m not sure where to put it where it would do good. I don’t feel like I get enough sun except for the front of the house which faces West. I don’t want a garden in my front yard.
The back, East, side of the house has no land...that’s where my mountain is. And there is little to no sun back there. The south side has very little land also and the fields for the septic are there.
That leaves the north facing side but I’m on a corner lot and I’m not sure I want a vegetable garden in view from two sides of the road. *sigh*
I would feel the need to make it look “pretty”, which might not be a bad thing now that I think about it lol. I would also need to have a secure fence ($$$) to keep out the critters because there are a ton of chipmunks, rabbits, groundhogs, etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I’m thinking I might want to try a garden at some point. Not this year obviously. But I’m not sure where to put it where it would do good. I don’t feel like I get enough sun except for the front of the house which faces West. I don’t want a garden in my front yard.
The back, East, side of the house has no land...that’s where my mountain is. And there is little to no sun back there. The south side has very little land also and the fields for the septic are there.
That leaves the north facing side but I’m on a corner lot and I’m not sure I want a vegetable garden in view from two sides of the road. *sigh*
I would feel the need to make it look “pretty”, which might not be a bad thing now that I think about it lol. I would also need to have a secure fence ($$$) to keep out the critters because there are a ton of chipmunks, rabbits, groundhogs, etc.
You might consider the raised beds, as they look nice, IMHO. My neighbor has one made of wood, so it's like a big rectangular box. It looks much neater in appearance because it's contained. I have a lot of sun on the west side of my house, but I really don't feel compelled to dig up the backyard.

I love the larkspur! I'd planted a hydragea two years ago and it never grows. It does get eaten early on, I don't know what to do about it, it just gets enough leaves to know it's still there. I'd planted astilbes last year and they haven't flowered yet. I have these weird ferny plants that have overtaken the front! I like them, they get little star shaped pink flowers, and lacey leaves and spread like mad. I'll take a picture-I've never seen them anywhere else

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I was excited about the first canteloupe of the season, but it was picked and nibbled on by a squirrel while only a few inches long and green. The other one that had started growing was stolen by a squirrel the next day. It wasn't even an inch long yet.

I'm growing a bunch of stuff indoors so it's squirrel-safe - tomatoes, basil, Swiss chard, and even a canteloupe plant (THAT will be interesting). The watermelon plants were all eaten by snails.

I really love the snails here, and even the slugs. I've been trying harmless repellents like coffee grounds. Results have been mixed so far. They seem to put up with the coffee grounds if the plants are delicious enough.

Something else from our garden...
Clustered bellflowers.
IMG_20200725_175334_471.jpg

Pumpkin flower. We have a few plants of pumpkin.
IMG_20200725_175610_147.jpg

Astilbe ("False goat beard").
IMG_20200725_180136_641.jpg

First young butter beans (or something similar, lol). We haven't had these ones since granny Nina died, but this year, Gala bought the seeds, and that's great, because they're healthy and delicious. David didn't like them though, because they're a little bitter (more like unusual), but Unghshu adores them.
IMG_20200727_192408_459.jpg

IMG_20200727_192408_456.jpg

IMG_20200727_192408_454.jpg

Astilbi is one of my favorite plants! It spread so well at my old house. I planted two here last summer but so far they're not doing well. They're the one plant that no one nibbled on!
I never get day lily blossoms (so what, they're orange!) and my hydrangea got nibbled it never got big. Hostas do ok.

This lacey weeky spready thing has taken over the front of the house! I's so pretty- lacey leaves and small star shaped flowers, the leaves turn a rusty color later in summer. I have to get a picture and find out what it is, never seen this anywhere else

Reactions: Val
Status
Not open for further replies.