Lauren91

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all!

I have recently made the transition to vegan, and struggled initially because I am on quite a tight budget (my fiancé and I are saving for our first home).

I decided to set up my own blog/site where I 'veganised' some classic recipes, as well as focused on meals with ingredients you could buy at your local supermarket rather than at a health food shop (usually quite expensive too!).

A lot of my friends have spoken about making the transition to vegan, but it seems that convenience and finances are the two things holding a lot of people back. While I think that if you feel strongly about being vegan, you will find a way to make it work, I think that making it more accessible will help show others the benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

I just thought I would post the link here in case any of you were trying to live the vegan life on a budget and might benefit from this too (I am based in the UK so a lot of the recipes refer to specific products available in UK supermarkets), a lot of the more popular vegan websites seem to involve a lot of high-end produce I simply can't afford, and to begin with that felt quite isolating.

So excited to be part of this fantastic community!

Vegans on a Budget

Disclaimer: I do not run or own a business of any kind related to the above, it is simply my hobby and is not for profit :)

Will have a look at your site now.

I think being vegan does not have to be expensive, you can just replace meat with legumes of similar or lower cost, add a few almonds and walnuts.

I think the expense comes from foods that are named explicitly as vegan, but many simple foods like a bag of beans are vegan.

Also if you eat more whole plant foods, avoiding processed foods, it may be easier as well.

Beans, chickpeas, peas, mung, soy, lentils and some other beans are not more expensive than meat calorie/$ ratio.

As long you stick to more or less simple dishes without too much exotic food, it costs pretty much the same as a meateaters diet.

Last edited:
I am also in the process of transitioning. I really like your website and the recipes on it are great! Definitely bookmarking for future reference!

Oh my goodness, I literally just looked at your site before I joined this forum! How strange is that! I am also on a very tight budget and very new to veganism (is that the correct word?!) so it's nice to know you can eat well on a tight budget :)