The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I watch Shark Tank and I saw this episode. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm with you on bringing your own refillable bottles. I doubt I ever see one of the dispensers around here though. If the small home version were to become readily available and cheap enough, it might be worth having but probably not something I would buy.

I like the kiosk concept the best. I guess they have them up and running in some places. but you would have to be able to bring your own bottle. Not sure if that is is OK post covid.

Farmers markets could be a good place of a kiosk. or maybe right outside a store. or in the mall. A smaller machine could dispense personal sized portions. Like the vending machines they have for coffee.

also I don't understand why the home machines are so expensive. couldn't you just put the contents of the pouch in a bottle and shake?

come to think of it, I know that there are companies that make plan milk concentrates. Modest Mylk and Good Mylk. Has anyone tried those?

@ Chryssie

Here are a few. I believe there are even more.

Good Mylk just has almond milk and hemp milk . Needs to be frozen. Available at Amazon. and unless I've forgotten how to do arithmetic it seems absurdly expensive. ($13/qt)

Modest Mylk comes in little shelf stable jars. Cashew, coconut, macadamia, oat, almond. There is also one called vanilla - which is a mixture of cashews, almonds, and cocount. You need to make it in your blender. and unless I'm still having trouble with arithmetic its super cheap: Seventy cents a quart. it got mixed reviews on Amazon. My guess it that those people with really good blenders liked it the best.

I think this might be more targeted for cooking purposes than for the milk and cookies crowd.

JOI is available in almond, hazel nut, oat, and cashew. It comes in shelf stable Tubs, sort of looks like ice cream. different flavors cost different amounts. About $3/qt.
One of their bestsellers are their coffee creamers. for those people who actually buy creamers this might be worth a try.

• Informative
Reactions: Chryssie
@ Chryssie

Here are a few. I believe there are even more.

Good Mylk just has almond milk and hemp milk . Needs to be frozen. Available at Amazon. and unless I've forgotten how to do arithmetic it seems absurdly expensive. ($13/qt)

Modest Mylk comes in little shelf stable jars. Cashew, coconut, macadamia, oat, almond. There is also one called vanilla - which is a mixture of cashews, almonds, and cocount. You need to make it in your blender. and unless I'm still having trouble with arithmetic its super cheap: Seventy cents a quart. it got mixed reviews on Amazon. My guess it that those people with really good blenders liked it the best.

I think this might be more targeted for cooking purposes than for the milk and cookies crowd.

JOI is available in almond, hazel nut, oat, and cashew. It comes in shelf stable Tubs, sort of looks like ice cream. different flavors cost different amounts. About $3/qt.
One of their bestsellers are their coffee creamers. for those people who actually buy creamers this might be worth a try.
Dr Greger suggested blending a tbsp of nut butter with water--I did not like that :no:. Modest mylk sounds just like that with the addition of coconut oil- wouldn't like that either!
Heck, I think about getting whatever the additives to commercial oatmilk to make my own! I've tried so many tips and non have been good. I like store bought though

the only reason I might buy one of these if I had some recipes that I would make occasionally that required plant milk. but I almost always have soy milk and I buy cans of coconut milk at the dollar store for the occasional recipe.

since Trader Joe's is almost always out of soy milk nowadays I would love to be less dependent on going to the the big supermarket store for plant milk. especially with summer coming on and I'll be getting most of my produce at the farmer's market.

Those cartons of soy milk at amazon may be the best way for me to go. But like I said earlier, those kiosks would be cool for environment reasons. But those aren't soy milk either.

It's a long article and I haven't finished reading it yet. After I finish it I will try to add some good excerpts here. Feel free to beat me to it.

I thought some of the criticism of non dairy cheeses were a little harsh, there are a couple that I sort of like, but after not eating cheese for over 10 years, I am not a good judge. Besides she quotes Isla Chandra Moskovitz when dissing on non-dairy cheese so that gives enough credibility.

the history section is well researched and interesting. And her breakdown of the present day situation is excellent too.

It's a long article and I haven't finished reading it yet. After I finish it I will try to add some good excerpts here. Feel free to beat me to it.

I thought some of the criticism of non dairy cheeses were a little harsh, there are a couple that I sort of like, but after not eating cheese for over 10 years, I am not a good judge. Besides she quotes Isla Chandra Moskovitz when dissing on non-dairy cheese so that gives enough credibility.

the history section is well researched and interesting. And her breakdown of the present day situation is excellent too.

Me!!!
Who the F cares if they 'taste like' cheese if they taste good and have the components-salt, fat, mouth feel? I don't. I love Daiya farmhouse block cheddar, even going as far as tasting my sons dairy cheddar to compare. I liked Daiya better. I did the same with sour cream because I was curious what I was making I called sour cream was like--it wasn't anything like dairy sour cream, that was yuckyyyy. My vegan 'sour creme' was delicious, but what do I call it!
That's the real crux--what do we call the alternatives we make?
Fred?
Big exception for me however, is pizza cheese. I still really miss that melt and smell and taste

I did just make Miyokos better buffalo mozz which I've been making once a week--just soy yogurt, blended cashews, tapioca starch and agar. it's a wonderful thing

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I'm detecting a trend.
I didn't know mint chip was that important of a flavor. Everyone is making one.

Breyer's has one also...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Back in the day it was vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.
Now it seems like its cookies&cream, Mint Chocolate chip and some version of chocolate.
I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I do think it's interesting.

Reactions: Emma JC
Mint chocolate chip was very hit or miss for me with dairy ice cream, I loved some, hated others. Coconut ones were one of the worst things I've ever tasted!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC