The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

New product announcement!!

Miyoko’s World-Changing Vegan Pizza Mozzarella. Loved by pizzerias, and now for the first time sharing with our fans for home use testing. Available for a limited time only.

WHOA. IT'S A LIQUID MOZZARELLA.

To revolutionize the pizza cheese industry, Miyoko ingeniously threw away the rule book to craft the finest vegan pizza mozzarella by focusing on the desired end result: delicious meltiness. Rather than creating a traditional solid block of vegan cheese that is shredded, Miyoko stripped out the solids and ingredients that hinder meltability. For example, did you know cheese shreds use anti-caking agents to prevent clumping, which ironically prohibits melting? Go figure. She removed all that stuff and cut straight to the melt with this first-of-its-kind, revolutionary liquid cheese.

I want to try it!

Everything you wanted to know about NotMilk .

• It's made with an 18-ingredient formula that includes pea protein, pineapple juice, chicory root fiber, cabbage juice and sunflower and coconut oil. According to NotCo's founders, the mixture mimics actual dairy,
  • Good plain and cold
  • Good in hot coffee
  • Good in cooking
  • Available in whole and 2% reduced fat varieties at Whole Foods Market stores nationwide, NotMilk is lactose-free, soy-free, gluten-free and non-GMO. Each 1-cup serving contains 90 calories, 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of sugar.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Everything you wanted to know about potato milk

It’s vegan-friendly, and free from common allergens such as lactose, gluten and nuts. It’s also low in sugar and saturated fats

Fortified with calcium, vitamin D, folic acid, and B12. the potato-based milk also includes pea protein, rapeseed oil, and chicory fiber. Reportedly to be high in Omega -3. ( I guess from the rapeseed oil)

Potato-growing produces considerably less CO2 than dairy farming.

Potatoes use about half the land it takes to grow the equivalent amount of oats.

Potato milk uses 56 times less water (than almonds)

Dug, the company that makes potato milk, only ships products to the UK.

The companies that formerly made potato milk in the US, Canada, and Australia have all gone out of business.

Everything you wanted to know about potato milk

It’s vegan-friendly, and free from common allergens such as lactose, gluten and nuts. It’s also low in sugar and saturated fats

Fortified with calcium, vitamin D, folic acid, and B12. the potato-based milk also includes pea protein, rapeseed oil, and chicory fiber. Reportedly to be high in Omega -3. ( I guess from the rapeseed oil)

Potato-growing produces considerably less CO2 than dairy farming.

Potatoes use about half the land it takes to grow the equivalent amount of oats.

Potato milk uses 56 times less water (than almonds)

Dug, the company that makes potato milk, only ships products to the UK.

The companies that formerly made potato milk in the US, Canada, and Australia have all gone out of business.

Already posted in the PB news section.

I have never found a good vegan coffee creamer. I have spent a lot of money trying several recommended brands, none of them impressed me. BTW: I dislike anything flavored. I don't want my coffee to taste like hazelnut, or maple, or even vanilla.
Vegan coffee creamers tend to be very expensive, and you cannot take them back if you dislike them. And I always dislike them.
The best thing I have found is straight up soy milk. It's thin, so I have to use a lot. Not great, but best so far.

For most of my life I just drank my coffee black. When I joined the old geezers coffee club I started drinking Starbucks coffee once a week. And I found their coffee to be a little more bitter than I liked. So I started to ask for soy. They just use vanilla soy milk. I almost always have vanilla soy milk at home so I started adding a little to my coffee at home as well. I even sometimes froth the milk.

The baristas in NYC and London swear by oat milk.

Meanwhile here are 12 more coffee creamers you can try.

I have never found a good vegan coffee creamer. I have spent a lot of money trying several recommended brands, none of them impressed me. BTW: I dislike anything flavored. I don't want my coffee to taste like hazelnut, or maple, or even vanilla.
Vegan coffee creamers tend to be very expensive, and you cannot take them back if you dislike them. And I always dislike them.
The best thing I have found is straight up soy milk. It's thin, so I have to use a lot. Not great, but best so far.
Have you tried silk original soy creamer? If you like soy milk I think you might like it. It’s my favorite. I can’t drink coffee without it. I also tried so many other creamers and didn't like any of them. I don’t like flavored creamers either.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Have you tried silk original soy creamer? If you like soy milk I think you might like it. It’s my favorite. I can’t drink coffee without it. I also tried so many other creamers and didn't like any of them. I don’t like flavored creamers either.
That was #2 on the above list.

• Friendly
  • Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
That was #2 on the above list.
Apparently it didn’t fare well in the review lol. It’s crazy. As someone who used to use half n half or even heavy cream, I couldn’t disagree more with the reviewer.

Last edited:
Apparently it didn’t fare well in the review lol. It’s crazy. As someone who used to use half n half or even heavy cream, I could disagree more with the reviewer.
Oh. not planning on buying any of them I didn't read the article. I just assumed that #2 would be the second best.

Mostly I find taste tests be to semi-useless. but at least this guy included some objective info as well.

His favorite was CoffeeMate Natural Bliss Vanilla Oat Milk Creamer. Has anyone tried that?

I have not. I did buy something that was oat but I can’t remember which brand. It was a big fail for me.
I even tried the Silk whipping cream but I neglected to see that it’s coconut and not soy. So of course I hated it in my coffee. But that was on me. I should have made the connection between whipping and coconut milk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
I put some vegan Truwhip in my coffee and liked it-I used to do that when we'd have Coolwhip. To me they taste alike
I really want a mocha. I might make some chocolate syrup later

• Friendly
Trying Silk Ultra-Protein in my coffee this morning. Not bad for coffee creamer. It is much thicker than original Silk. I also tried Silk Ultra-Protein in my cereal - it was terrible - thick and gross. I suspect Silk Ultra-Protein would be good for smoothies. I am curious as to whether Silk Ultra-Protein would make good yogurt.

> Have you tried silk original soy creamer?

I think I have tried it. Maybe I should try it again. As I remember, like most vegan coffee creamers, it's much more expensive than standard soy milk, can be hard to come by, and the taste is: meh. I usually prefer to save myself the expense, and trouble, and just use soy milk.

> His favorite was CoffeeMate Natural Bliss Vanilla Oat Milk Creamer. Has anyone tried that?

I doubt I have tried this because it's vanilla flavored. Everybody seems to be raving about oatmilk. I have tried a few varieties of oat milk, also tried making my own. Personally, I am unimpressed with oatmilk.

Whoever wrote that article makes a very big deal about how well the creamer "froths up." That is not my greatest concern.

BTW: I noticed that, right under the coffee creamer review, was a review of vegan ice creams. For me, that one is easy: NadaMoo! is the best vegan ice cream by a mile. Not only does NadaMoo! taste the best, but it does not turn into an ice brick when put in the freezer. It has a creamier quality.

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
maybe "NoCow Soy Liquid", "NotFromACow Oat Wet Stuff" or "CowFree Almond Drink" would get the message across... they seem very frightened

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

The term "soy milk" has been around for over a century. Why was it never a problem until now?

If the dairy industry forces soy milk to be renamed, I would go something like "crueltyfree soy" or "kindlife soy" or "greathealth soy" or "goodearth soy" - something that carries the subtle message: if you drink regular dairy milk, you are being cruel, unhealthy, and harmful to the planet. If the dairy industry wants to play hardball, so be it.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I've been using Trader Joes shelf stable "soy beverage" and never even acknowledged the term 'beverage' until this discussion.
I actually prefer calling non dairys beverages rather than milk. I think it would eliminate the dairy industry from using the comparisons, since there isn't a need nutritionally to sub them for daily milk.
Of course the plant foods market still makes protein to be such a huge need for vegans 🙄

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Trying Silk Ultra-Protein in my coffee this morning. Not bad for coffee creamer. It is much thicker than original Silk.
If you thought Silk Ultra was pretty good you should try Silk Protein. Its only 10 g of protein instead of 20. And it usually is a buck less than Silk Ultra. Sometimes the same price as just regular silk soy milk.
I've tried them all an I think Silk Protein is the best tasting of the bunch.
I've gotten in the habit of buying Chocolate flavored Silk protein when I go the supermarket. I heat up a cup first thing in the morning and have it instead of a cup of coffee. ( I will have a cup of coffee but later in the morning).

The Silk Ultra is made up of soy milk and soy isolates. Kind of like adding soy protein powder to your soy milk.

Silk Protein is made up of almond milk and cashew milk. Since almond milk and protein milk don't have the much protein by themselves so they add pea protein. IMHO, a blend of almond and cashew is the best tasting option for a plant milk. I don't really notice the pea protein taste. I recommend the Original which has 2 g of added sugars.

> Have you tried silk original soy creamer?

I think I have tried it. Maybe I should try it again. As I remember, like most vegan coffee creamers, it's much more expensive than standard soy milk, can be hard to come by, and the taste is: meh. I usually prefer to save myself the expense, and trouble, and just use soy milk.

> His favorite was CoffeeMate Natural Bliss Vanilla Oat Milk Creamer. Has anyone tried that?

I doubt I have tried this because it's vanilla flavored. Everybody seems to be raving about oatmilk. I have tried a few varieties of oat milk, also tried making my own. Personally, I am unimpressed with oatmilk.
Whoever wrote that article makes a very big deal about how well the creamer "froths up." That is not my greatest concern.

BTW: I noticed that, right under the coffee creamer review, was a review of vegan ice creams. For me, that one is easy: NadaMoo! is the best vegan ice cream by a mile. Not only does NadaMoo! taste the best, but it does not turn into an ice brick when put in the freezer. It has a creamier quality.
I agree on the expense of silk creamer and being unimpressed with oat milk, particularly as a creamer.
I can’t remember if I tried Nada Moo but I do remember seeing it in a local store. I should pick some up next time I’m there.

If you thought Silk Ultra was pretty good you should try Silk Protein. Its only 10 g of protein instead of 20. And it usually is a buck less than Silk Ultra. Sometimes the same price as just regular silk soy milk.
I've tried them all an I think Silk Protein is the best tasting of the bunch.
I've gotten in the habit of buying Chocolate flavored Silk protein when I go the supermarket. I heat up a cup first thing in the morning and have it instead of a cup of coffee. ( I will have a cup of coffee but later in the morning).

The Silk Ultra is made up of soy milk and soy isolates. Kind of like adding soy protein powder to your soy milk.

Silk Protein is made up of almond milk and cashew milk. Since almond milk and protein milk don't have the much protein by themselves so they add pea protein. IMHO, a blend of almond and cashew is the best tasting option for a plant milk. I don't really notice the pea protein taste. I recommend the Original which has 2 g of added sugars.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the all the different Silk variants. There must be dozens by now.