The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I just got back from Publix and they do have the Ripple refrigerated milks but WOW are they expensive! I will stick with Silk which is often on sale.
I only buy the chocolate when the store is out of Silk's chocolate protein. Which happens way too often.

Made a rare trip to Walmart (not super, for maple syrup) and found Breyers non dairy, almond milk, mint chocolate chip! Of course almost $5, a dollar more than dairy :dismay: . It's super good! :lick:. Not really creamy, but tastes great, not like toothpaste!

Made a rare trip to Walmart (not super, for maple syrup) and found Breyers non dairy, almond milk, mint chocolate chip! Of course almost $5, a dollar more than dairy :dismay: . It's super good! :lick:. Not really creamy, but tastes great, not like toothpaste!

I am so jealous as I have been waiting and waiting for the new flavour to show up at my store, good idea to check Walmart.... I hadn't thought of that and will do so when I buy more Just Egg patties as it is the only place that carries them. It may be a dollar more than Breyer's dairy but it is a whole lot less than Hagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

My supermarket has Breyer's for like $5 a quart while Ben and Jerry's is $6 a pint.

However for months now they have had B&J at 2 for $7.
I've been slowly trying every flavor.
PB and Cookies and the Tonight Dough are my least favorites. I like all the others equally.

Reactions: Emma JC
The supermarket was out of every brand and type of soy milk but Silk original

just did a google search and according to Reddit there are soy milk shortages in grocery stores nationwide. Trader Joe stopped carrying it because of some label/legal issue - but that has been resolved. One article reported it had to do with the demand for chicken feed. But do they feed chickens the organic soy beans that the milk makers use? One site said it was because of the shortage of imports. And of course covid supply chain issues were cited, too.

Could this be some evil conspiracy?

The supermarket was out of every brand and type of soy milk but Silk original

just did a google search and according to Reddit there are soy milk shortages in grocery stores nationwide. Trader Joe stopped carrying it because of some label/legal issue - but that has been resolved. One article reported it had to do with the demand for chicken feed. But do they feed chickens the organic soy beans that the milk makers use? One site said it was because of the shortage of imports. And of course covid supply chain issues were cited, too.

Could this be some evil conspiracy?
I was only told TJ's had supplier issues. My store never stopped carrying it, just got in small deliveries. I've been calling before I go-like 5am sat mornings! They answer really fast too!
I need more now o_O
A conspiracy would not surprise me, I know more people ditching dairy for health than vegetarians now.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
At Trader Joe's when I asked last year they said they had supplier issues. The info I had about label/legal issues is really old - 2015

I've been ordering 6 packs of quarts from Amazon. they are my reserve. That way I don't run out also I don't have to go to the store just for soy milk.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Oh oh....:ignore:
I realize I'm eating vegan cheese like when I ate dairy cheese. I'll get a slice to add to what I'm eating and eat one cold. Or two. I'll look in the fridge and pull out a slice. Most of my seitan sandwiches now have chese.
FYH smoked gouda has been scarce, the discount store I get it from usually has all of them, today only garden herb and provolone. I got provolone--what is garden herb even like? :shrug:. Never heard it mentioned, I should have tried it!

• Wow
Reactions: tlc1976 and Emma JC
Oh oh....:ignore:
I realize I'm eating vegan cheese like when I ate dairy cheese. I'll get a slice to add to what I'm eating and eat one cold. Or two. I'll look in the fridge and pull out a slice. Most of my seitan sandwiches now have chese.
FYH smoked gouda has been scarce, the discount store I get it from usually has all of them, today only garden herb and provolone. I got provolone--what is garden herb even like? :shrug:. Never heard it mentioned, I should have tried it!

that is one of the reasons that I try to keep only shredz on hand and the occasional wedge of blue cheez for a special treat - I would be tempted too

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52
Some of us are saddened when we learn that a favorite plant-based company is acquired (read: gobbled up) by a big multinational company.
We fear a loss of community support and even an elimination of products. However, what is often pointed out to me is that there is also an upside: Increased investments; production; and distribution.

This might be an example of that.

I really love Chobani extra creamy, and stores have been having it on sale a lot!

Now I want to try Breyers almond chocolate chocolate chip Hope it's not choco chunks though
Does Chobani have a vegan version? Not in my country :( I follow this recipe to make vegan cashew yogurt, it's the closest to Chobani's thick creamy texture!

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Does Chobani have a vegan version? Not in my country :( I follow this recipe to make vegan cashew yogurt, it's the closest to Chobani's thick creamy texture!
I only know in the US Chobani has both vegan products and dairy products
I do get Chobani extra creamy oatmilk, as it's thicker, and good for desserts and sauces

I make soy yogurt

Reactions: KLS52 and Pocha
I only know in the US Chobani has both vegan products and dairy products
I do get Chobani extra creamy oatmilk, as it's thicker, and good for desserts and sauces

I make soy yogurt
Ahhh that's why I love the US, so many more vegan options :heart: I will definitely check out Chobani's vegan variants when I next go to US!

Reactions: KLS52
Saw Okie Dokie in Trader Joe's. They were out of Chocolate Cherry so I got Okie Dokie. Even though its almost twice the price.

Its pretty good.

"Okie Dokie, a completely vegan ice cream made from a creamy oat milk base and flavored with rich caramel swirls and sweet bits of sponge candy."

Its interesting/funny/sad that is also has created some controversy.

• Friendly