The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I was at the supermarket yesterday and they didn't have any Silk Soymilk products. Trader Joe's still don't have ANY soy milk in their refrigerated section. So it could be some kind of supply issue. I read that there was an issue with the soy crop in South America but I think Silk only uses North American beans

Anyway, I wonder if not having any Silk Soy Milk on the shelves means that they are getting ready for Next Milk

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
I went into my little upscale market a couple of days before.
Unknown.jpeg
and they had this!

I just made a pizza with it. I bought pizza dough instead of a ready made crust and it didn't come out that good. but the cheese and other toppings were great.

I went into my little upscale market a couple of days before.
View attachment 26559
and they had this!

I just made a pizza with it. I bought pizza dough instead of a ready made crust and it didn't come out that good. but the cheese and other toppings were great.

The ingredients are decent too... I'll have to look around for it.

Ingredients: Plant Milk (Filtered Water, Organic Cashews), Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Tapioca Starch, Sea Salt, Mushroom Extract, Organic Sunflower Lecithin, Organic Konjac, Cultures.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Chryssie
Still having issues with soy milk.
at the supermarket they used to have something like 6 different types of Silk soy milk. Plus two more of the supermarket brand.
Last week they only had one Silk soy, orriginal. And nothing from the supermarket brand.
However they did have NotMilk and Silks new entry, Next Milk.
I didn't get either but now I regret it. could have done a taste test. Both were a little low on the protein content as compared to regular soy milk.

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Oh man I hope that doesn’t happen here!

I don't buy any fridged soy milk, only the carton at TJ's, and that's been stocked now. It seems to me the whole of fridged on dairy milks has been stocked.
I was thinking of trying Chobani half and half thinking it was oat (cause I like their oatmilk), but it was dairy. They have non dairy creamers, but they were all flavored and sweet.

• Friendly
I'm making tofu ricotta now--pressed tofu, some miso, garlic, lemon, nooch, oil, capers--while realizing I have NO idea what dairy ricotta tastes like. I was recently reminded it was smooth rather than curdy.
Is there any better way to name our products? I know whenever I let omni friends taste things I get the response of 'it is good, but how long since you had xxxx?'

It hasn't been long since I discovered I was loving vegan cheedars and tried a dairy cheddar--I hated the dairy cheddar
I also know vegan mozz for pizza is still preferable to vegan mozz for pizza--but I like no cheese pizza, or taco style with vegan cheddar
Sour creme? :dismay:I don't know I ever called my vegan subs sour creme--nothing but cultured cashew creme or silken tofu with lemon--I never liked dairy sour creme, and was reminded when I tried it :yuck:

Even milks--I didn't like dairy milk at all, but like oat, almond, soy, and Ripple a lot

that reminds me, one night after getting really high another vegan friend of mine has a similar discussion. We might have been inspired by the "tastes like chicken" scene in the Matrix. ( I think it was the Matrix 2).

Anyway his position was if it wasn't for the new/tansitiioning vegans and the flexatarians we could make up our own names and it didn't need to taste like chicken or milk or cheese - it could just taste good.

I thouhht maybe we could give the products names from the Grateful Dead songs. Please pass the Sugar Magnolia. or do you have any Ripple? Or maybe just make up names like car companies sometimes do.

He though maybe we should just give every thing a different color. "honey, I'm going to the store to pick up a gallon of White." While you are there could you pick up a box of Yellows?"

I think maybe the Not Company might be onto something. Not Milk, Not Cheese, Not Beef...

Still having issues with soy milk.
at the supermarket they used to have something like 6 different types of Silk soy milk. Plus two more of the supermarket brand.
Last week they only had one Silk soy, orriginal. And nothing from the supermarket brand.
However they did have NotMilk and Silks new entry, Next Milk.
I didn't get either but now I regret it. could have done a taste test. Both were a little low on the protein content as compared to regular soy milk.
Yep, I haven't been able to find unsweetened soy milk. I had to get the original, which contains sugar, but at least it's better than nothing. I'm also having trouble finding unsweetened almond milk. They have unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but I just like the plain unsweetened variety.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Geez I hate when people say 'you can't even taste xxxxxx'
How are you not going to taste 1/4 cup of something as strong as coconut, to only 1 cup of something as neutral as oats? :dismay:

I used to love FYH parm shreds, then didn't have them for a while. I opened a tub for pasta and seemed so different, and not as good!
Why do my tastes change so much :worried:

I was at the store today and stocking up on Soy milk and they had Silk Next Milk on sale. (less than soy).
So I bought some.
I'm having a glass with my Emmy's cookies right now. The cookies are sort of dry so they really need some milk to wash them down.
Anyway.... I'm no expert on cow's milk but IMHO this stuff tastes better than cow's milk. Not as much protein as soy but more than some of the other nondairy alternatives. I think Silk may have a winner here. I'm going to recommend it to all my non-vegan friends.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hey, now. With summer time around the corner I might be tempted to go to B&R again. I have one a long walk from here. It makes for a good destination.

Last year they launched two vegan flavors, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Chocolate Extreme*. They also had Non-Dairy Strawberry Streusel, but just for the month of May - It was the flavor of the month.
This month they have added Mint Chocochunk, a coconut milk base, with sweet mint, thick chocolate chunks, and a gooey fudge swirl.

* All their sorbets are vegan

I think there are some mistakes in the chart. I don't think potato, hemp, or rice milk have the amount of protein as stated. Maybe the lost a decimal place.

The protein amount for that particular brand of potato milk is correct as they have added pea protein to the list of ingredients. On their
website (DUG) they have given approx. half of that amount per 100ml (a serving) and this chart is using a cup which is 237ml.

Reactions: Lou
This is interesting.

One thing caught my eye was the price of milk which I don't pay attention to.
So I went to my Supermarket's website and the price of almond milk isn't much more than the price of cow's milk. The day that non-dairy is cheaper than dairy will be a turning point.

And now this....

I like how the author included this in the article

But if we’re talking purely about carbon emissions, the math is pretty clear: The world’s huge appetite for animal products is contributing to climate change. This is in large part due to the enormous amount of greenhouse gases that animal agriculture, especially cow farming, produces.​

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
People in Southern California and the East Bay are now being told they can't water their lawns.

Some of the vegan food companies need to do some kind of ad campaign on this. (maybe with lawn signs)

I remember how in Cowspiracy, Kip figured out how many showers NOT eating a hamburger was worth. but how days of watering your lawn gets you when you order a Beyond Burger or buy a gallon of soy milk?

New product announcement!!

Miyoko’s World-Changing Vegan Pizza Mozzarella. Loved by pizzerias, and now for the first time sharing with our fans for home use testing. Available for a limited time only.

WHOA. IT'S A LIQUID MOZZARELLA.

To revolutionize the pizza cheese industry, Miyoko ingeniously threw away the rule book to craft the finest vegan pizza mozzarella by focusing on the desired end result: delicious meltiness. Rather than creating a traditional solid block of vegan cheese that is shredded, Miyoko stripped out the solids and ingredients that hinder meltability. For example, did you know cheese shreds use anti-caking agents to prevent clumping, which ironically prohibits melting? Go figure. She removed all that stuff and cut straight to the melt with this first-of-its-kind, revolutionary liquid cheese.

I want to try it!
Eating it now…I don’t think I like it and will not buy again.

• Informative
Eating it now…I don’t think I like it and will not buy again.
I just bought it again. What do you like better?
Up until now I've been alternating between Trader Joes Mozzarella (cashew) shreds and Miyoko's Mozzarella shreds (also cashew).