The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I am having a hard time keeping up with the all the different Silk variants. There must be dozens by now.
Oh my, yes.
I don't always buy Silk. What ever is in the grocery store or on sale.
When I go to the supermarket (Safeway - here in No. Ca.) they have their own store brand that is sometimes cheapest.
I used to be able to remember which brand's vanilla I liked best and which brand's original I liked best. And to make things worse, besides original and vanilla, some brands (including Silk have an "unsweetened")

Fortunately for my little brain I don't buy any of the oat or almond versions.

Reactions: walterbyrd
This sort of bucks the trend

MIYOKO’S CREAMERY WINS LAWSUIT AGAINST CALIFORNIA, SETTING PRECEDENT FOR USING “DAIRY” LABELS ON VEGAN FOOD

Miyoko’s Creamery filed the lawsuit after the California Department of Food and Agriculture demanded the brand remove “dairy” and “butter” from its clearly vegan labeled packaging and take down a photo of a woman hugging a rescued cow from its website.​

More choices on the horizon.

Multinational food company Danone plans to launch new technology later this year that improves upon vegan dairy products. The new “plant-based 2.0” platform will be introduced under the company’s current plant-based milk brands as Silk NextMilk and So Delicious Wondermilk in the United States, and Alpro Not Milk in Europe.​
In April, the company launched a “Milk of the Land” advertising campaign for its Silk line to demystify how almond milk is made. The company considers almond milk, which has the greatest share of the vegan dairy segment, as the entry point for new consumers.​
In addition to key growth plans in the areas of almond and oat products, Danone also recently partnered with bioscience and artificial intelligence company Brightseed to evaluate the health benefits of Danone’s raw ingredient sources, beginning with soy. The partnership aims to change how consumers view soy, such as the myth about phytoestrogens and “man boobs,” and to help Danone innovate its supply chain to maximize nutrient density of its plant-based products.​

I have turned the corner with cheese. I'm finding myself eating vegan cheese in the same way I ate dairy cheese.
That Violife mozzerella shreds-taste like how I like pizza cheese to taste
FYH slices are wonderful
Daiya jalepano havarti--delicious
Cheddar--Parmela, Trader Joes, FYH, Violife slices and Daiya block--better than dairy

I mostly use silk soy. I can no longer get the protein shakes I used to like so I’m happy I like the ripple shakes.

During the pandemic, Odwalla went out of business. I really liked their protein shakes.

a lot of the store bought shakes include dairy. Odwalla only had a few dairy free options.

After experimenting and exploring with shakes and powders and such I've gone almost completely with home made.

I usually start with regular soy milk because its got a fair amount of protein to start off with. Silk Protein is usually the same price as soy milk, and has a little bit more protein. And I like the chocolate flavor. Silk also has their "Ultra" which is just about one buck more than regular soy milk but has more than twice the protein.

Then I add a banana. Try adding 1 or 2 Tbsp of peanut butter (depending on your preference) for even more protein and thickness. If you are worried about fat - try one of the peanut butter powders like PBFit. And then maybe some ground flax seed. You can even add a little turmeric.

I vary these a little bit but my Go To is
1 banana
8 oz Silk chocolate protein
2 tbsp PBFit
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 tsp tumeric
dash of pepper.
After blending I will add some water to get it to the right consistency.

380 calories
21 g of protein
11 g of fat
11 g of fiber.

For something different I have used Silk Ultra Original with banana and PB.
I've also found that you can skip the PB and use fruit juice and fruit. Mango and/or papaya with pineapple juice is really good.

Really there are so many good variations on this theme.

You can also use a full size blender and make 1 - 2 quarts at time and freeze or refrigerate the extras.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I add banana and pb2 to the ripple most days.

Ripple shake 200 calories / 20 grams protein / 7 fat
Pb2 60 calories / 6 protein / 1.5 fat
1/2 banana 50 calories >1 gram protein

310 calories / 26.5 protein / 8.5 fat

I didn’t calculate fiber. I got tired lol.

Depending on my needs, I use soy milk for protein too. And sometimes I’ll do 1/2 a serving of the protein shake if I’m feeling well and eating well.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I just tried 6 oz of the ripple vanilla protein shake and added 6 oz of my really strong coffee, with four drops of stevia and it’s of ice…and wow! It’s amazing! I feel like I’m drinking an iced starbucks drink. It’s so refreshing.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Where do you guys buy Ripple Milk? I don't remember seeing it but their website says it is available at Publix. I will have to look for it.

They are pretty much everywhere over here.
but...
they must have a half dozen different products but most of the stores only stock up on two or three.
I buy the chocolate when I can't find Silk Chocolate Protein. I don't think I have ever had the vanilla but now I want to try it.

Reactions: Chryssie
Where do you guys buy Ripple Milk? I don't remember seeing it but their website says it is available at Publix. I will have to look for it.
It’s in my local stores…shop rite and stop n shop. But I buy the ripple protein shakes on Amazon. I do like the ripple milk but I prefer soy milk and almond.

Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
I love Ripple chocolate.
WHy aren't there any plain chocolate non dairy creamers? (or even dairy!)
Chobani has Sweet cream, Vanilla, and hazlenut, but no plain chocolate. I'm ok with chocolate almond milk in iced coffee, but I'd love something creamier
I just made a chocolate syrup, used cheap cocoa, and kinda burned it :worried:

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie
I love Ripple chocolate.
WHy aren't there any plain chocolate non dairy creamers? (or even dairy!)
Chobani has Sweet cream, Vanilla, and hazlenut, but no plain chocolate. I'm ok with chocolate almond milk in iced coffee, but I'd love something creamier
I just made a chocolate syrup, used cheap cocoa, and kinda burned it :worried:
How bout this

I just got back from Publix and they do have the Ripple refrigerated milks but WOW are they expensive! I will stick with Silk which is often on sale.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou