The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

Interestingly, Ben and Jerry's now makes 19 different flavors of vegan ice cream. Non of which are vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. Or even Cookies&Cream or Mint chocolate chip.
however they have a Creme Brûlée cookie, a "milk" and cookie, and a mint chocolate cookie - in their sunflower butter line.

I went to my little upscale grocery scale to get some stuff for a going-away party I'm going to tomorrow. As I walked thru the freezer aisle I saw they had the new Kind non-dairy frozen desserts. but they were $8/pint. but everything at that store is expensive.

Interestingly, Ben and Jerry's now makes 19 different flavors of vegan ice cream. Non of which are vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. Or even Cookies&Cream or Mint chocolate chip.
however they have a Creme Brûlée cookie, a "milk" and cookie, and a mint chocolate cookie - in their sunflower butter line.
Strawberry oat milk ice cream is incredible! Darn it anyway! I didn't even think about that at Trader Joes! Have no idea if it's still available there.
Aldi had it too, and it was really really creamy and good. They had a good vanilla almond, but I tasted coconut in the chocolate almond milk ice cream so didn't like that

Reactions: Emma JC
I don't think I've tried oat milk ice cream.
I have had soy, coconut, almond, and sunflower seed, and cashew.
so far sunflower seed is my favorite.
But it's hard to compare because of the flavors.

Seems more and more doctors are telling patients to give up dairy! Heard everything from "milk is only good for baby cows", giving it up was the only thing that helped his arthritis, told to give it up to reduce asthma symptoms....

The Ditch Dairy Movement is really gaining momentum.

But I don't believe someone's real name is Rich Roll.

I don't dislike oat milk. It tastes fine it just doesn't have the protein of soy milk. So I haven't paid attention to the whole Pepsi vs Oatley thing.
but this article goes into it in detail.
I liked how article attacks marketing on both sides.
It seems like the Pepsi vs Oatly thing is based on a false premise. No one puts 12 oz of oat milk in their coffee. More like 2 oz.

I finally ordered soy milk in a 6 pack of shelf stable quarts.

I had been thinking of doing this for almost a year. Now I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

I ran out of soy milk a few days ago. I still have plenty of groceries so I didn't need to run out to the store just for milk. Although Trader Joes is just a 5 minute walk, they don't always have soy milk. the upscale grocery store that is less than a mile away has soy milk but its a lot more expensive than the supermarket.

I had been worried about where to store the box. My sister buys her soy milk in boxes of 12. And that box would have been an issue to store. However I found a box of six. once I open the box and take one or two out I can toss the box and the quarts take up very little space.

another plus that hadn't occurred to me is that at the most I will keep 2 quarts in the frig. (one for now and one to get cold for later). Most of the time I would have 3 half gallon containers in the frig. So I end up having a lot of extra room in the frig now, too.

amazon delivers this for free - in a day or two.

the only cons are that I used to buy different flavors of soy milk. one vanilla for drinking straight, one plain for everything else. and the chocolate protein drink for my morning hot chocolate.

I finally ordered soy milk in a 6 pack of shelf stable quarts.

I had been thinking of doing this for almost a year. Now I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

I ran out of soy milk a few days ago. I still have plenty of groceries so I didn't need to run out to the store just for milk. Although Trader Joes is just a 5 minute walk, they don't always have soy milk. the upscale grocery store that is less than a mile away has soy milk but its a lot more expensive than the supermarket.

I had been worried about where to store the box. My sister buys her soy milk in boxes of 12. And that box would have been an issue to store. However I found a box of six. once I open the box and take one or two out I can toss the box and the quarts take up very little space.

another plus that hadn't occurred to me is that at the most I will keep 2 quarts in the frig. (one for now and one to get cold for later). Most of the time I would have 3 half gallon containers in the frig. So I end up having a lot of extra room in the frig now, too.

amazon delivers this for free - in a day or two.

the only cons are that I used to buy different flavors of soy milk. one vanilla for drinking straight, one plain for everything else. and the chocolate protein drink for my morning hot chocolate.

I do this with almond milk. My issue is that I prefer the half gallons I get in the refrigerator section so unless it’s unavailable, the shelf stable ends up expiring. So I’m having to make more of a point to keep up with the dates and use it before it goes bad.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
This is such a good idea.
I might complain, why did it take them so long, but I can't.
I've wanted this to happen for 20 years but I never thought a good vehicle would be a law suit.

Even before reading the article (just the headline) I was convinced that this should be an easy case to make. However I guess it depends on the judge they get.

A lawsuit filed last week in federal court by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) and a trio of doctors affiliated with the group claims U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policies urging Americans to double the average consumption of dairy products has everything to do with protecting and promoting dairy farmers and little or nothing to do with nutrition.​

As the article points out a lot of the USDA's polices are determined by congress. I'm looking forward to what congress' response is.

This author and webzine are very neutral about this topic. I imagine that there will be some reporting from other sources and reporters that will be interesting and entertaining. although my imagination has already written headlines for VegNews and Fox News.

PCRM Claims USDA Dairy Policy Overreaches.

Vegans Are Stealing Our Milk.

Reactions: EllieW and Emma JC
Ooops. I must have missed this one last week.

HA! I never thought of this strategy either.

PCRM has long critiqued the guidelines, calling them out for ‘dietary racism’. This is because lactose intolerance is prevalent among people of color.

I was also a contributor via PETA do get the USDA not to include Dairy promotion. Obviously it didn't work. but maybe this approach will. BTW PETA supports the PCRM.

This is a rather disappointing article from the NYT. And on several fronts.

The facts it covered are hardly news in in 2021. Although this might be the most comprehensive article in the mainstream news.

Most of the column inches were used to dis plant milks. Although it was fairly positive about soy and pea. But even then its compliments were half hearted.

It barely mentioned the environmental benefit or animal welfare benefits.

The comments were the best part of the article.

• Sad
More ice cream news.

• Ghirardelli is breaking with tradition and stocking its first all-vegan ice cream nationwide
  • Baskin-Robbins debuted its first oat-milk ice cream in April, rolling out its limited-time flavor Non-Dairy Strawberry Streusel.
  • Ice cream giant Ben & Jerry’s has accelerated its plant-based ice cream development in recent years using both almond milk and sunflower butter bases.

Read More: Ghirardelli Carries Vegan Ice Cream for First Time in 169 Years | Ghirardelli Carries Vegan Ice Cream for First Time in 169 Years

This Just In:

the EU has rejected plans for unprecedented restrictions on plant-based dairy. EU leaders have dropped plans to impose new restrictions on plant-based dairy products, which could have banned them from displaying allergen information, being sold in cartons and using images of their own products. Terms such as “milk” and “yogurt” are still forbidden.​

oat milk is up about 1200% percent over the past two years.​
that means that in North America, there may well be an even bigger oat milk boom coming. And with Oatly, the Swedish company that helped popularize the product, still struggling to meet demand as it works to expand production capacity, it's a perfect time for competitors like Danone, Planet Oat maker HP Hood and Chobani to snatch up some share in the new, fragmented category, where the race is still close enough for players to have a chance to jostle for the top spot.​
HP Hood, a legacy dairy brand, it's been especially important to pivot to plant-based alternatives as cow's milk loses favor with customers.​
"Creating Planet Oat was a way of giving [consumers] what they wanted,"​
Danone initially started selling oat milk under the brand Oat Yeah in 2019, under the Silk umbrella. But now it is pursuing Silk customers more directly. In April, it relaunched the product as Silk Oatmilk, boasting a new recipe.​
Chobani introduced a slew of oat products in 2019. For Chobani lovers, that means more options from the brand — from oat milk to oat-based yogurt to coffee made with oat milk.​
As established companies jostle for space, smaller upstarts will have the opportunity to distinguish themselves, as well.​
Some examples: Califia has a protein oat milk which could help set it apart with customers who are specifically looking for a protein boost. A company called Three Trees makes an oat and seed milk blend. Others are leading with specific credentials: Minor Figures prioritizes oat milk for coffee, for example, and Happy Planet advertises its environmental credentials. Who knows what other oat milk options will hit your nearest grocery store next.​