The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

Yeah, nuts are expensive, but they’re good in small amounts. I actually get kind of sick to my stomach if I eat too many nuts at once.

I tend to go for it and buy expensive nuts, then stretch them out. They’re a great source of nutrition, especially if you include a variety of different kinds. I love pine nuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios.... They’re so good.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and 1956
I'm getting to like cashew cheese way too much I think. I make soy yogurt and blend with cashews and let ferment, then add tapioca starch and heat with agar
My son loved it from the first, now I'm hooked!
In fact, I'm hooked on soy yogurt! It's so amazing in spicy soups, or with any spicy food
I hope Trader Joes gets their soy beverage back- I'll buy a case!

Hello, thought I'd get in on some conversation, I usually do the cashew cheese thing, full of nutrients. Also fattening if not careful:))).
Hey AllJ! Have you ever tried it with sunflower seeds? I've been meaning to, I have a bag of raw seeds just waiting!

Sunflower seeds are good! They’re pretty common in trail mix. @silva maybe you have had them before, just not by themselves?

Sunflower seeds are good! They’re pretty common in trail mix. @silva maybe you have had them before, just not by themselves?
I meant to use for a fermented cheeese instead of raw cashews. I've made this recipe a few times already and want to try it with seeds instead of cashews, but every time I worry it won't be nearly as good. I've used sunflower seeds as the base of cream sauces and wasn't too pleased! I'm hoping the fermentation will cover that taste

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I'm getting to like cashew cheese way too much I think. I make soy yogurt and blend with cashews and let ferment, then add tapioca starch and heat with agar
In fact, I'm hooked on soy yogurt! It's so amazing in spicy soups, or with any spicy food

Hey AllJ! Have you ever tried it with sunflower seeds? I've been meaning to, I have a bag of raw seeds just g

I have, I was lucky last year, I was given a young sunflower plant and as soon as it was sturdy enough It went to live in the garden😂. I harvested the seeds from it and I've got 6 sprouting already this year, I find sunflowers such a joy 😁.

My grocery store sometimes has 20 oz of hulled sunflower seeds for $5. I sprinkle them on my salads. But it would be nice to have another use for them.

When I was a kid un-hulled (?) sunflower seeds were popular as snack. The pinnacle of coolness was to be able to hull them in your mouth.

My grocery store sometimes has 20 oz of hulled sunflower seeds for $5. I sprinkle them on my salads. But it would be nice to have another use for them.

When I was a kid un-hulled (?) sunflower seeds were popular as snack. The pinnacle of coolness was to be able to hull them in your mouth.
Yep, I used to eat them like that all the time...the only problem was that they were usually salted and the salt from the shells would kind of burn my lips...

Yep, I used to eat them like that all the time...the only problem was that they were usually salted and the salt from the shells would kind of burn my lips...
Probably a good warning sign that you are eating too many. I was never very good at that trick so probably ate just one sunflower seed an hour. :)

another use for sunflower seeds is sunflower butter - I haven't tried it yet myself although I did make almond butter a couple of time - I think this would be easier and quicker - everyone seems to roast them first and the reason for that has to do with phylates etc - some people also recommend soaking them in water or salt water first - lots of good info out there on the google machine :)

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and 1956
I'm thinking that's still a very cool skill. I'm hoping to grow 6 this year, here's hoping Fife gets some sun and not too much wind :)))

Hey AllJ! Have you ever tried it with sunflower seeds? I've been meaning to, I have a bag of raw seeds just waiting! ohhh I'll have to try that..

I have, I was lucky last year, I was given a young sunflower plant and as soon as it was sturdy enough It went to live in the garden😂. I harvested the seeds from it and I've got 6 sprouting already this year, I find sunflowers such a joy 😁.
Made cheese with the seeds?
I've never had success growing them.

I'm not that much a fan of sunflower seeds, but I'm thinking the fermentation might change them nicey :shrug:

Made cheese with the seeds?
I've never had success growing them.
Got to be honest, I hadn't even thought of using sunflower seeds for cheese until it was suggested here. :)). I have my grandmother's green fingers, only realises two years ago that I can grow plants:). Plants make me happy in so many ways.

Got to be honest, I hadn't even thought of using sunflower seeds for cheese until it was suggested here. :)). I have my grandmother's green fingers, only realises two years ago that I can grow plants:). Plants make me happy in so many ways.
I think I'll try it this weekend. I'd love to get away from using cashews since they're a good bit more expensive and questionable ethics
I just really disliked the sauce I subbed sunflower seeds for cashews! They have such a stronger flavor as all other nuts or seeds
Just hoping the culturing will change it enough.
Will report back!

My thumbs are calloused and don't grow anything :pout:

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I think I'll try it this weekend. I'd love to get away from using cashews since they're a good bit more expensive and questionable ethics
I just really disliked the sauce I subbed sunflower seeds for cashews! They have such a stronger flavor as all other nuts or seeds
Just hoping the culturing will change it enough.
Will report back!

My thumbs are calloused and don't grow anything :pout:
Nothing wrong with calluses, sign off a hard worker:). I'm making hummus in place of cashew cheese these days, just better in so many ways, I still get my peanut fix though, peanut butter and banana in a wrap, yuuuum:).

Reactions: Emma JC