The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

I'm not that much a fan of sunflower seeds, but I'm thinking the fermentation might change them nicey :shrug:
Have you ever tried lightly toasting them?
Either in a dry pan on the stove top or in a dry pan in the oven when you are roasting something else...
They can sometimes taste a bit bitter raw but, when roasted are more nutty tasting...
I really like them sprouted too...

Reactions: Emma JC
And we have another taste test.

I like taste tests about as much as movie reviews--they offer very little, and I usually don't agree!
I do like FYH and Violife . Daiya blocks only--not a fan of shreds, and Chao original tasted like vomit, and the other one I tried plastic. I never had Moocho or Miyokos.

Toasting sunflowers seeds does not sound good for cheese! :no:

I called Trader Joes this morning (4:30 am!) and they said they have 18 cartons of the soy beverage on the shelves now, and should get a few cases this evening for tomorrow!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Supposedly this is the year for Vegan Cheese. Everyone is getting in on the act.*

Daiya used to make a Mexican style shred that I would use in my burrito recipe. I wonder if this one will work just as well. The vegan cream cheese is getting to be a crowded field. I like the chive and onion spread but I think there are at least a few others already in the market.

* I just imagined a bunch of people, but instead of horse costumes they are wearing cow costumes They are chasing after a bandwagon trying to get on. which is difficult to do in their costumes. Some cows are already on the bandwagon and preforming a dance while Toni Peterson with his electric piano is playing and singing, "Wow, wow, no cow"!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Pretty soon we may need a devoted Ben and Jerry's thread

We already have 3 ; 2 started by VV and 1 by VF.:rolleyes:

We already have 3 ; 2 started by VV and 1 by VF.:rolleyes:

You know I did do a search and they didn't come up. Maybe there IS something wrong with our search function.

Oh. that one is kind of old. maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I avoid the grocery stores as much as possible and order online and do a curbside pickup.
I've learned to click on the button that does not allow for substitutions. *
But this Safeway has had some "out of stock" issues with soy milk. So I allowed for subs.
I ordered vanilla soy milk and got vanilla almond milk.
I also ordered Silk Original soy milk. And I got Silk Ultra Original Plant-Based Protein Drink.
I didn't even know that there was a Silk Ultra Plant-based Protein Drink.
I'm having a glass with my LaraBar peanut butter cookie. I can't eat one of these cookies without a glass of milk to wash it down. And it tastes pretty good. Almost a little bit like a milk shake.
One glass has 20 g of protein. That is like 3x the amount of protein normally found in soy milk (or cows milk).
I'm going to go as far as to say it can replace your basic protein powder supplement - and it tastes a lot better than the last protein powder I bought.
I want to try the chocolate one next week.
--I just read some reviews of it. Its supposed to be great in coffee too - which makes sense cause its thicker than soy milk. and one reviewer said it foams up great.

* One time I ordered soy mik and got cow's milk. and one time I ordered 5 pounds of carrots and got 20 pounds.

Attachments

• original-plant-based-protein-drink.png
    original-plant-based-protein-drink.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
I made my staple Miyokos Better Buffalo--but--because it's in the lower 60's F in the house I decided to culture the cashew/soy yogurt mix in the Instant Pot on the low yogurt setting, which is like 95F. I put the bowl on the rack, no water, covered with a towel and left for like 28 hours. It came out much tangier. I added some salt and nooch and finished as usual with the tapioca starch and agar.
Very very good--but I so wanted to know the taste I was comparing it too.My son had mozzerella shreds and I tasted some. They were not good :joy: , and nothing like what I make! Anyway, I know it's different melted on pizza, which I still would like, but it felt good to know I like mine better

If anyone knows the taste of braunschweiger please make blended raw sunflower seeds, some olives, and a bit of garlic! I did, and it so brings back teh memory of that, and I have no idea if I'm right! I haven't had that since childhood, the round wrapped in paper soft round on bread with a bit of mayo. I found it was in fact goose liver and was traumatized!

• Wow
If anyone knows the taste of braunschweiger please make blended raw cashews, some olives, and a bit of garlic! I did, and it so brings back teh memory of that, and I have no idea if I'm right! I haven't had that since childhood, the round wrapped in paper soft round on bread with a bit of mayo. I found it was in fact goose liver and was traumatized!
What I remember from my childhood that was like that we called Liverworst probably not spelled like that but anyway...
It came in a pack pre-sliced with a paper around each slice I know that I used to love it, makes me gag just thinking about it now! In my family we never ate any other kind of liver, and I have never tried any other type once I was older...

Now I am scared to even try making something like your cashew mix because I don’t Want to remember that taste!
This is So strange though because last night I finally soaked walnuts to make a walnut pate that a friend of mine makes I will let you know h that turns out...

Last edited:
What I remember from my childhood that was like that we called Liverworst probably not spelled like that but anyway...
It came in a pack pre-sliced with a paper around each slice I know that I used to love it, makes me gag just thinking about it now! In my family we never ate any other kind of liver, and I have never tried any other type once I was older...

Now I am scared to even try making something like your cashew mix because I don’t Want to remember that taste!
This is So strange though because last night I finally soaked walnuts to make a walnut pate that a friend of mine makes I will let you know h that turns out...

That's liverwurst. :)I remember it being very popular in sandwiches or an Ritz crackers back in the 60's. I actually found it to be tasty and it was a staple in many households.

That's liverwurst. :)I remember it being very popular in sandwiches or an Ritz crackers back in the 60's. I actually found it to be tasty and it was a staple in many households.
Yep, I knew that I had misspelled it! Probably because I know that liver is Not healthy no matter what ! So I guess that I just thought of it as the Worst!

• Haha
Reactions: shyvas

Now I am scared to even try making something like your sunflower seed mix because I don’t Want to remember that taste!
Darn it! NOT CASHEWS, but raw sunflower seeds!!!
Cashews are delicious blended into pastes, for dips, sauces .... so neutral. Raw sunflower seeds are much stronger taste and distinctly savory, IMO.
I hear people say to sub seeds for cashews, but they are no sub for me! The seed pate was good though! Texture was much like what I remember the gooseliver though

Reactions: Emma JC and 1956
If anyone knows the taste of braunschweiger please make blended raw cashews, some olives, and a bit of garlic! I did, and it so brings back teh memory of that, and I have no idea if I'm right! I haven't had that since childhood, the round wrapped in paper soft round on bread with a bit of mayo. I found it was in fact goose liver and was traumatized!
EDIT---I can't change the post anymore--too late, but it was RAW SUNFLOWER SEEDS I used, not cashews!!!!
@shyvas --if you could change it? Cashews are soooo different than seeds!