Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

last night was a burrito night - refried beans from a can inside the w/w tortillas with sauted orange pepper/jalapeno/onion, cheez, salsa - pica on top (green onions/cherry tomatoes/olives) and a pile of greens chopped finely

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Veganite and Raven
One thing I forgot to mention is pre-soaking the raw fries in cold water for 20-30 mins, if possible. Removing a bit of the starch will help make them crispier too. This is such an important step in making latkes. Removing the starch from the potato makes the difference between soggy latkes or crispy ones, so it would make sense for fries as well.

I've also heard that double cooking oven fries helps them get crispier, but I've never tried this method, myself. The only double cooking I've tried is making wedges from previously baked potatoes. It does make sense though, much like par-frying them.

So many ways to cook a potato. I've been wanting to try a vegan version of that 15 hour potato recipe thing you see on TikTok for a while. It sure looks tasty, but more work than I'm willing to put in for some spuds. Sauce Stache did a video of it here.
My son swears by this. I was going to post and say yo said your potatoes first. Sometimes I par boil but not always. I think I do prefer them precooked though. I’ll. Bake them first too on occasion.

wow, soy curls in the Air Fryer are great and take a very very short time...

I was watching Sweet Simple Vegan yesterday and they didn't have a recipe but showed a dish they were working on for a future 'soy curls' video and she said she was trying to replicate a Filipino BBQ with soy curls, they looked really good so I thought I would give it a go. They used a cast iron skillet to cook them however I wanted to use the Air Fryer so I soaked them in all the appropriate spices, liquids, sugar etc and then put them in the air fryer for only about 5 minutes and they were done - at the same time I reduced the leftover liquid in a frying pan and then mixed the curls in the reduced sauce and put them back in for another 3-4 minutes.

Served with homemade pesto on gnocchi and wow, was it is a big hit!! The soy curls were very meatlike with toasty edges etc.

Do be careful if you try it as it they do burn very quickly.

Emma JC

I'm going to have the leftover fajitas for my lunch today, but since I will still have a stack of corn tortillas leftover, I'm going to try making vegan enchiladas today for tonight's dinner. I will have to pick up a couple of the ingredients while I'm out this morning. Nonetheless, I love enchiladas. I can't wait!

If anyone is interested in trying this wonderful recipe, look no further - See video below.

My son swears by this. I was going to post and say yo said your potatoes first. Sometimes I par boil but not always. I think I do prefer them precooked though. I’ll. Bake them first too on occasion.
Agree on the soaking, especially if you're baking them. They really do come out nice and crispy without being overdone.

Reactions: KLS52
I'm going to have the leftover fajitas for my lunch today, but since I will still have a stack of corn tortillas leftover, I'm going to try making vegan enchiladas today for tonight's dinner. I will have to pick up a couple of the ingredients while I'm out this morning. Nonetheless, I love enchiladas. I can't wait!

If anyone is interested in trying this wonderful recipe, look no further - See video below.

I gave up at the heating quajillo powder with oil.....
I just spread refried beans on corn tortillas, add a mix of soy chorizo, beans,rice, salsa roll and place in casserole.
Sprinkle vegan cheese over top and pour a sauce from a can of fire roasted tomatoes that's been blended with jalepano and bake

I just put a sham in the oven. I meant to stretch it to achieve grain, but forgot.

I'm having chestnut & mushroom pasties.
A salad ; baby spinach/avocado/vinaigrette/pumpkin seeds & yeast flakes.
A banana and a few seedless grapes.

I made air fryer fries with regular and sweet potato - will not put on spices ahead of time again as they just burn - had with Gardein Fillets of fish

Emma JC
Mmmm, I love those Gardein fillets! I'm going to get some on my next grocery run. :) I do notice that the fries are darker with the spices on them for air frying, but sometimes I like them like that, good and crunchy. I might make some Old Bay-spiced fries with the fillets.

Reactions: Emma JC
Mmmm, I love those Gardein fillets! I'm going to get some on my next grocery run. :) I do notice that the fries are darker with the spices on them for air frying, but sometimes I like them like that, good and crunchy. I might make some Old Bay-spiced fries with the fillets.

I can't abide those fillets. o_O The trick is to season the chips/fries a minute or two before the end of the cooking time.:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Just took the sham from oven and it's soooooo good!
Growing up our family often got Honeybaked spiral sliced hams, and I loved them. This really has that memory of flavor, and texture. I know the texture is far different, but it is a texture different from other seitan roasts, and a great chewy, with bits of crunchy spiced brown sugar glaze
I have a whole grain sweet mustard that worked very well slathered on the top, them sprinkled with brown sugar mixed with the ginger, allspice, clove and black pepper
I know it will be so much better tomorrow, but really hard to save

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I'm trying a new vegan seitan loaf that is supposed to be chik'n-like. It's from A Virtual Vegan. I'm going to make a golden gravy and have it with roasted carrots and steamed green beans.

I'm trying a new vegan seitan loaf that is supposed to be chik'n-like. It's from A Virtual Vegan. I'm going to make a golden gravy and have it with roasted carrots and steamed green beans.
So this was ... pretty good, but to make it omni-worthy, it needs something, though I'm not sure what. The outside was a little too tough/crusty, and I was not happy about that. I'm wondering if it would help to brush a little oil on it before I roll it up in the foil.

Also, while the texture was good, I think it needs to be a little less dense. The flavor also was lacking something. I'm thinking maybe more poultry seasoning. It's not that it didn't have flavor, but it wasn't strong enough. I think some chickpea flour might help with the texture as well. The consistency is outstanding for slicing thinly for sandwiches, though. I can see putting this on a roll with mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes. Vegan mayo would be nice, too.

On the plus side, this vegan gravy from Dreena Burton was pretty tasty and paired nicely with the loaf. It's golden in the photo, but mine came out darker, as the recipe calls for three tablespoons of tamari. I would cut that down next time, as the gravy was a tad salty on its own. But with the loaf, it was really good!

All in all, I liked the loaf. It had artichoke hearts in it as well, which was an interesting ingredient. I I will tinker, though. And it makes a lot! I'm really glad I like it. :D

So this was ... pretty good, but to make it omni-worthy, it needs something, though I'm not sure what. The outside was a little too tough/crusty, and I was not happy about that. I'm wondering if it would help to brush a little oil on it before I roll it up in the foil.

Also, while the texture was good, I think it needs to be a little less dense. The flavor also was lacking something. I'm thinking maybe more poultry seasoning. It's not that it didn't have flavor, but it wasn't strong enough. I think some chickpea flour might help with the texture as well. The consistency is outstanding for slicing thinly for sandwiches, though. I can see putting this on a roll with mustard, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes. Vegan mayo would be nice, too.

On the plus side, this vegan gravy from Dreena Burton was pretty tasty and paired nicely with the loaf. It's golden in the photo, but mine came out darker, as the recipe calls for three tablespoons of tamari. I would cut that down next time, as the gravy was a tad salty on its own. But with the loaf, it was really good!

All in all, I liked the loaf. It had artichoke hearts in it as well, which was an interesting ingredient. I I will tinker, though. And it makes a lot! I'm really glad I like it. :D
I started to comment when I looked at it, but thought it would be rude so I deleted. I never bake over 350 F. Adding artichokes seemed kinda wasteful to me, and too much other stuff to vwg.
I don't really care for using pureed beans in seitan, I used to