Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I'm soaking a bag of Hursts 15 bean mix for soup. Probably the last soup I'll want for a while.
I buy this mix esp for the packet of vegan (labeled) "ham" seasoning I use in seitan. I'll season the soup with sage, thyme, rosemary, basil.

My beans came out really tasty. I added some maple syrup and molasses to the final mix for a bit of sweet and color. I was really craving some cornbread to go with it. So...cornbread is on the menu today.

My beans came out really tasty. I added some maple syrup and molasses to the final mix for a bit of sweet and color. I was really craving some cornbread to go with it. So...cornbread is on the menu today.

After seeing the recipe you posted for them, I picked up the ingredients at the store today. I'm going to try making them later this week, they sound delicious.

I am testing out my new Air Fryer Toaster Oven - started with potatoes - just by themselves at first - cut into fry size - no oil - they turned out good with malt vinegar salt/pepper - now I have a second batch in wedgie shaped with garlic powder, paprika and pepper on them - it just dinged so will let you know tomorrow how they turned out - they sure smell good.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

they turned out good with malt vinegar salt/pepper
I love malt vinegar on chips. I love the smell of it. There was a food truck years ago back in Halifax that I loved. You couldn't resist the smell of chips and malt vinegar when you walked by the truck. I couldn't resist them! He served them hot & fresh in a newspaper cone.

I'm a little envious of the air fryer. I do have home-style oven fries down to a science though. I can make them taste pretty good minus oil on parchment paper. The trick here is to season them properly. I don't mind a little bit of oil. It really takes a minimal amount to crisp up some oven fries. I get it though - "no oil!" Dr. Esselstyn

I need to get serious about no oil, no sugar.
I love malt vinegar on chips. I love the smell of it. There was a food truck years ago back in Halifax that I loved. You couldn't resist the smell of chips and malt vinegar when you walked by the truck. I couldn't resist them! He served them hot & fresh in a newspaper cone.

I'm a little envious of the air fryer. I do have home-style oven fries down to a science though. I can make them taste pretty good minus oil on parchment paper. The trick here is to season them properly. I don't mind a little bit of oil. It really takes a minimal amount to crisp up some oven fries. I get it though - "no oil!" Dr. Esselstyn

Do you par boil the potatoes before roasting?
I'll have to try par cooking then smashing them in my air fryer.
I also love malt vinegar on frys! Not committed to a bottle though. I can't remember where I grabbed packets from the last time

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Do you par boil the potatoes before roasting?
I'll have to try par cooking then smashing them in my air fryer.

I recommend par boiling your potatoes before roasting them, but I don't always. It really depends in how long I want to spend making them. I have various tricks, or shortcuts, including a light dusting in corn starch to make them crispier. I'll even skip all prepping steps and just roast some fresh potatoes from scratch. That's where a light dusting in corn starch helps.

I absolutely love baking a few potatoes to save for wedges the next day. Re-baking them with some seasoning makes for a very tasty treat. Ideally, they'd probably be best deep fried after the initial first bake, but tossed in a little oil and roasted is amazing. You could make them into mojos with the correct seasoning. It's just flour with herb and spice mixture. I think it's similar to the KFC blend.

I also love smashed potatoes. I do boil these first, but a little more than par-boiling. It's a fine line, as you don't want them too soft, but soft enough to smash. I use a piece of plastic wrap and the bottom of a pot or pan to smash them. It's more like a slow squish. lol. I then just baste them with some garlic butter and roast them.

I also use a technique where I cut the fries in a specific way for the oven. I want them to be flat, rectangular in shape, but still thin enough so they crisp up a little easier. Cookie sheet with parchment paper works best for these.

I need to try tossing potato wedges in aquafaba again before roasting. I did that one roasting cooked chickpeas with potatoes and randomly happened--seemed to crisp them really nicely. I haven't done it since, so not sure

One thing I forgot to mention is pre-soaking the raw fries in cold water for 20-30 mins, if possible. Removing a bit of the starch will help make them crispier too. This is such an important step in making latkes. Removing the starch from the potato makes the difference between soggy latkes or crispy ones, so it would make sense for fries as well.

I've also heard that double cooking oven fries helps them get crispier, but I've never tried this method, myself. The only double cooking I've tried is making wedges from previously baked potatoes. It does make sense though, much like par-frying them.

So many ways to cook a potato. I've been wanting to try a vegan version of that 15 hour potato recipe thing you see on TikTok for a while. It sure looks tasty, but more work than I'm willing to put in for some spuds. Sauce Stache did a video of it here.

in addition to my potato experiments in the Air Fryer/Convection Toaster Oven I made a bread slab pizza with cheez, green onions, mushrooms, green olives and it was good although the temp was too high so I will lower it next time - the convection definitely helped to melt the cheez which was nice

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com