Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

So after all my indecision, I ended up eating a black bean burger. I was on the second batch of them, and it smelled so good in my kitchen that I went for the black bean burger with pesto, mustard, ketchup, onions, pickles, lettuce and arugula on a roll with a handful of chips and some salsa. And a beer. :)

A Cumberland style (Sainsbury's) shroomdog,Cavalo Nero,fried leftover Jersey royals,a huge pan fried portabello mushroom,
corn on the cob with 4 pepper & Cornish sea salt/spread.

Strawberries.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I'm going to go get some fresh veggies today for some BBQ, as in grilled veggie skewers. I'll probably just have that with some rice.

Man, did I ever have a change of plans. It's looking like rain here, so outdoor grilling took the back burner (pun intended). So instead of skewers, I decided to make gyros or donairs, or whatever you like to call them. From my understanding the name is just a regional or country of origin thing. They all involve a pita bread or pita pocket with some sort of meat, veggies and sauce.

So this is a first time using soy curls and also Just Egg. I used a food processor to break the soy curls down a bit finer to resemble a ground. I used a veggie based beef broth to soak the soy curl crumbs first. I squeezed out as much liquid as I could with a cheese cloth. Next I combined the soy curl ground with a package of Impossible ground, mixing that with the traditional seasonings. For that I used: paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper, ground oregano and leaf oregano, salt, and a couple tablespoons of potato flour to help it bind. I also added a whole bottle of liquid Just Egg, which really helped keep it from being so crumbly. Lastly, I did add some melted vegan butter to add that necessary fat content. I pressed the mixture out into a large roasting pan and baked it at 350ºF for 40 mins. I spread it out in the pan only about 2 inches thick, so 40 minutes was perfect.

The donair sauce we traditionally used back east in Nova Scotia was a sweet sauce, made from evaporated milk, vinegar, sugar and garlic powder. I was going to attempt making my own plant-based evaporated milk, but went with another idea instead. I went with a container of Tofutti sour cream and some vegan mayo, adding some white vinegar to that, with sugar and garlic powder. I'm really pleased with the taste of the sauce. It's not identical to the evaporated milk version, but pretty darn good.

Now everything is ready, I don't know if this will wait for dinner. To serve it I will slice the donair meatloaf into thin slices and fry them until they're browned slightly. It gives it that necessary texture, imo. To soften the pita, I rinse it under cold water for just a second then throw in the same pan, heating it for a about 30-40 seconds per side. In goes the meat, sauce, topped with some diced onions and tomatoes. Yum!

I have made this in the past using just Beyond or Impossible ground. In the past I use to use a flax egg to help it bind together. Using the Just Egg and soy curl ground greatly improved the final outcome. It isn't nearly as crumbly, and the texture is way better. I'm super happy with how this came out. If I had a food truck, this would be on it.

Here's what the loaf looked like when it came out of the oven. The picture really doesn't do it justice. The nice thing this time is the loaf is not crumbly at all. I know because I cooked some separately from the pan. It slices perfectly, staying together nicely. Having grown up in Halifax this is real comfort food for me.

1653762050995.jpeg

Man, did I ever have a change of plans. It's looking like rain here, so outdoor grilling took the back burner (pun intended). So instead of skewers, I decided to make gyros or donairs, or whatever you like to call them. From my understanding the name is just a regional or country of origin thing. They all involve a pita bread or pita pocket with some sort of meat, veggies and sauce.

So this is a first time using soy curls and also Just Egg. I used a food processor to break the soy curls down a bit finer to resemble a ground. I used a veggie based beef broth to soak the soy curl crumbs first. I squeezed out as much liquid as I could with a cheese cloth. Next I combined the soy curl ground with a package of Impossible ground, mixing that with the traditional seasonings. For that I used: paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper, ground oregano and leaf oregano, salt, and a couple tablespoons of potato flour to help it bind. I also added a whole bottle of liquid Just Egg, which really helped keep it from being so crumbly. Lastly, I did add some melted vegan butter to add that necessary fat content. I pressed the mixture out into a large roasting pan and baked it at 350ºF for 40 mins. I spread it out in the pan only about 2 inches thick, so 40 minutes was perfect.

The donair sauce we traditionally used back east in Nova Scotia was a sweet sauce, made from evaporated milk, vinegar, sugar and garlic powder. I was going to attempt making my own plant-based evaporated milk, but went with another idea instead. I went with a container of Tofutti sour cream and some vegan mayo, adding some white vinegar to that, with sugar and garlic powder. I'm really pleased with the taste of the sauce. It's not identical to the evaporated milk version, but pretty darn good.

Now everything is ready, I don't know if this will wait for dinner. To serve it I will slice the donair meatloaf into thin slices and fry them until they're browned slightly. It gives it that necessary texture, imo. To soften the pita, I rinse it under cold water for just a second then throw in the same pan, heating it for a about 30-40 seconds per side. In goes the meat, sauce, topped with some diced onions and tomatoes. Yum!

I have made this in the past using just Beyond or Impossible ground. In the past I use to use a flax egg to help it bind together. Using the Just Egg and soy curl ground greatly improved the final outcome. It isn't nearly as crumbly, and the texture is way better. I'm super happy with how this came out. If I had a food truck, this would be on it.

Here's what the loaf looked like when it came out of the oven. The picture really doesn't do it justice. The nice thing this time is the loaf is not crumbly at all. I know because I cooked some separately from the pan. It slices perfectly, staying together nicely. Having grown up in Halifax this is real comfort food for me.

View attachment 27158

Maybe I just don't know doner! I thought it was like gyro :shrug:
Sounds good though

Maybe I just don't know doner! I thought it was like gyro :shrug:
Sounds good though

Shawarma – Marinated meat cooked on a rotisserie BBQ known as a Shish and thinly sliced or shaved off with a long sharp knife or sword. Think… Shish-ke-bab. If you were in Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Germany, or Amsterdam, they would know what you wanted to eat if you asked for a Shawarma. We typically serve our 24 Hour Marinated 1st-Cut Black Shawarma™ Chicken in fresh Lebanese-Style hollow pita bread, with Tahina Sauce and veggies. Ask for some of our Holy Sauce™ on it for a real treat.

Donair– Originally from Turkey and pronounced ‘Doner-Kebab’, this BBQ’d beef wrap with onions and sweet garlic sauce came across the Atlantic to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the early 1970s. It was either mispronounced or Anglicized to ‘Donair’, and the name stuck. We can quickly create a very authentic Halifax Donair, or jazz it up a bit with some of our fresh toppings and homemade daily sauces to create our very own Delicious Donair™.

Gyro – As the Shawarma and Doner-Kebab migrated west across Europe, as it passed through the Greek Isles, Lamb and Pork were the preferred and available meat on a stick. Served with thick homemade garlic Tzatziki in a Pita with Veggies.

Source

Shawarma – Marinated meat cooked on a rotisserie BBQ known as a Shish and thinly sliced or shaved off with a long sharp knife or sword. Think… Shish-ke-bab. If you were in Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Germany, or Amsterdam, they would know what you wanted to eat if you asked for a Shawarma. We typically serve our 24 Hour Marinated 1st-Cut Black Shawarma™ Chicken in fresh Lebanese-Style hollow pita bread, with Tahina Sauce and veggies. Ask for some of our Holy Sauce™ on it for a real treat.
Oh yes, there was a vegan Shawarma sandwich I saw a YouTuber eating. I have to find it.:)

Supper will be a toasted whole grain English muffin with avocado and tomato. I made a peanut butter mousse with pb2 and so delicious coco whip. I’m only allowed two tablespoons (about 60 calories) but I eat it slow, taking small spoonfuls lol. I also drizzle about 2 teaspoons of chocolate syrup. It’s so good and decadent enough to be satisfying.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC