Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

for some unknown reason I was motivated yesterday afternoon and decided to make Shepherd's Pie (remind me, in the future, that it is a lot of work!)

it turned out really well and we ate a good 3/5ths of it and I put the rest in the freezer - I looked at 4 different recipes and put together the following:

bottom layer - brown lentils, TVP (soaked in spices, red chili paste, veggie stock), peas, onion, garlic, carrots, partial can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste
next layer - can of corn
next layer - chopped cabbage that I steamed on top of the potatoes while they were boiling
top layer - 3 large potatoes, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/4 cup of oat milk - mashed
sprinkled layer - bread crumbs

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and EllieW
A Green Cuisine veggie burger with quinoa/steamed cauliflower/sliced tomatoes & vegan mozzarella/vinaigrette/yeast flakes/fresh basil.
Blueberries & coconut milk yogurt/stevia.
A glass of chilled chardonnay/green olives.

Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I had Crispy Chicken Tenders from Gardein and Rice and Peas with cumin. I don't know if anyone has tried these chicken tenders but they are delicious! My go to from now on for this particular item. Hubby liked them too and he complained about every other "chick'n tender" I tried. A little cherry sauce on top and lip-smackin' good! There was a sale on Gardein at a few different stores this week so hubby went to three stores to get all the various items I had listed so we have a few others to try as well.

Reactions: Emma JC
Spanish rice with veggies and seitan, and green salad. Some might call it a quick and lazy paella, but I dare not use the 'p' word. It used the last of my homemade seitan. Despite being a bit bready it was my best yet—it's rubberiness that I can't stand.

A Green Cuisine veggie burger with quinoa/steamed cauliflower/sliced tomatoes & vegan mozzarella/vinaigrette/yeast flakes/fresh basil.
Blueberries & coconut milk yogurt/stevia.
A glass of chilled chardonnay/green olives.

I'm a fan of Green Cuisine too. Good products, and being pea protein based a welcome change from soya.

Their fishless fingers are good too—a tasty reminder of fish finger butties, which have to be made with cheapo petrol station white bread and tomato sauce.

The cheapo fish fingers I used to buy probably contained more ocean floor detritus than actual fish, so they may have even been accidentally vegan!

Last edited:
  • Haha
I was so hungry when I got in from my walk but I made a potato and veggie casserole and I really didn't like it. Just having some wine to compensate :D

• Wow
  • Sad
I think I might have a Boca chicken patty on a bun with pickles, lettuce and a vegan Mayo/ketchup blend. I have some steamed spinach for a side.

An air fried vegetable fritter (frozen) with chickpea pasta plus fresh basil/grated Violife/evo and a sprinkle of Cornish sea salt.
A tossed gem lettuce salad with vinaigrette/yeast flakes.
A white peach.

First I had some crackers and my favorite Better Buffalo cheese I made- I have my tweaks done pat now and will put in recipes
Aldi Asian blend stir fry veggies with pineapple

I had some Field Roast Chili Mac n Chao for supper. Tasted good but a little too spicy for me. Then I had some Rosemary and Olive Oil Veggie Straws.

I was never a huge tuna fan to begin with, but I did enjoy the odd tuna sandwich or tuna melt. So...I decided to try a mock tuna with jackfruit instead of the usual chickpea thing. I looked up several vegan mock tuna recipes, and took what I liked, and then incorporated it into my recipe. What I did really surprised me. It was so convincing, I brought some into work for a couple of my co-workers to try. They were all also amazed at how close it resembled and tasted like real tuna salad. It was super easy, if anyone wants to try it.

All I did was took two cans of jackfruit (in water) removed the seeds and tough end bits, then simmered it in water for about 20 mins. I then strained off the water. I didn't need to squeeze out any additional water with cheesecloth. I left it on the moist side, which turned out to be perfect.

So, the jackfruit alone seemed to be lacking a bit of texture. I had tried chickpea mock tuna before and didn't really find it convincing at all, but the beans do add texture. So I added a can of white beans to the mix. This is where the additional water helped. The drier textured beans with the moist jackfruit came together nicely. I simply mashed everything up really well with a fork, along with a nori sheet. I actually took the nori sheet to my pestle & mortar first, to grind it into a powder.

Now all that's left was to make it into salad. I added some veganaise mayo, finely diced celery and green onions. Lastly, I seasoned it with some local artisan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a generous dash of Franks hot sauce. I also added some fresh lemon juice for a little tang.

Again, I was amazed at how close this was to the real thing. Anyhow, tuna melts for dinner last night were unbelievable. I used a cheeze mix of Parmela and Daiya cheddars.

I was never a huge tuna fan to begin with, but I did enjoy the odd tuna sandwich or tuna melt. So...I decided to try a mock tuna with jackfruit instead of the usual chickpea thing. I looked up several vegan mock tuna recipes, and took what I liked, and then incorporated it into my recipe. What I did really surprised me. It was so convincing, I brought some into work for a couple of my co-workers to try. They were all also amazed at how close it resembled and tasted like real tuna salad. It was super easy, if anyone wants to try it.

All I did was took two cans of jackfruit (in water) removed the seeds and tough end bits, then simmered it in water for about 20 mins. I then strained off the water. I didn't need to squeeze out any additional water with cheesecloth. I left it on the moist side, which turned out to be perfect.

So, the jackfruit alone seemed to be lacking a bit of texture. I had tried chickpea mock tuna before and didn't really find it convincing at all, but the beans do add texture. So I added a can of white beans to the mix. This is where the additional water helped. The drier textured beans with the moist jackfruit came together nicely. I simply mashed everything up really well with a fork, along with a nori sheet. I actually took the nori sheet to my pestle & mortar first, to grind it into a powder.

Now all that's left was to make it into salad. I added some veganaise mayo, finely diced celery and green onions. Lastly, I seasoned it with some local artisan sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a generous dash of Franks hot sauce. I also added some fresh lemon juice for a little tang.

Again, I was amazed at how close this was to the real thing. Anyhow, tuna melts for dinner last night were unbelievable. I used a cheeze mix of Parmela and Daiya cheddars.

Did you drain the white beans before adding? I copied this recipe out for myself, will try it soon.

Did you drain the white beans before adding? I copied this recipe out for myself, will try it soon.
Yes, absolutely drain them, and rinse them too. Let me know how it comes out. I'd be curious to know if you like it as much as I did.

I'm going to make some mushroom fajitas tonight. I'm using portabella, if anyone cares. I'm so stoked for mushroom season approaching. My favorite chanterelles will soon be ready for the pickin'. Can't wait!

• Love
I took my leftover spaghetti sauce from yesterday, added black beans and cooked macaroni and made it Chili Mac. With enough left over for 2 more meals for the 2 of us. That means that the package of Beyond Beef, less than a pound, will make 4 meals for us.