Pokémon GO

Pokemon Go is very quickly changing my life. I no longer live a (completely) sedentary lifestyle. Now I have an incentive to actually move around outside!

For context: I am autistic and Pokemon is my OBSESSION. So a game that can be described as "Pokemon but in real life" need not be fully featured nor even work properly all the time, it's just instantly my favorite.

Anyway, not to brag (I mean it - I'm in too deep here, I can't imagine how much this game will affect my productivity once school starts back up) but I'm level 21 with multiple 1000+ cp Pokemon (I know people have 2000+ at this point, I'm so jealous) so if anyone wants tips on anything or is stuck on something, I'm here for you.

Also, in case you're skeptical about this whole business - you don't need to know anything about Pokemon to get into this. I've seen a LOT of people whose first experience with Pokemon is this game and they're having a blast. So if it looks like something you might enjoy, give it a shot! There's no gatekeeping and no pressure, and it might make the day to day grind of your life just a bit more interesting.

The busses are even better than the trams. A ride into town put 2km on each of my incubated eggs, let me stop at more than 40 pokestops, and I caught nearly 30 pokemon (half of which were new pokedex entries) :D

Also, one of my favourite pubs is a pokestop.

Reactions: Spang
The busses are even better than the trams. A ride into town put 2km on each of my incubated eggs, let me stop at more than 40 pokestops, and I caught nearly 30 pokemon (half of which were new pokedex entries) :D

Also, one of my favourite pubs is a pokestop.
Omg, handy! I call shotgun next time James and I drive somewhere so I can catch em all.

Pokemon Go is very quickly changing my life. I no longer live a (completely) sedentary lifestyle. Now I have an incentive to actually move around outside!

For context: I am autistic and Pokemon is my OBSESSION. So a game that can be described as "Pokemon but in real life" need not be fully featured nor even work properly all the time, it's just instantly my favorite.

Anyway, not to brag (I mean it - I'm in too deep here, I can't imagine how much this game will affect my productivity once school starts back up) but I'm level 21 with multiple 1000+ cp Pokemon (I know people have 2000+ at this point, I'm so jealous) so if anyone wants tips on anything or is stuck on something, I'm here for you.

Also, in case you're skeptical about this whole business - you don't need to know anything about Pokemon to get into this. I've seen a LOT of people whose first experience with Pokemon is this game and they're having a blast. So if it looks like something you might enjoy, give it a shot! There's no gatekeeping and no pressure, and it might make the day to day grind of your life just a bit more interesting.

Ooooo, what have you got?

Just this week, I overheard two people in the local supermarket talking about Pokemon GO and we got into a conversation. They asked me if I played and I said no, I was probably too old, but mentioned some of the computer video/adventure games I used to like. They mentioned that the guy behind the counter, in his mid-30s, played it too.

But this definitely sounds like a LOT of fun. I can see why it's catching on, and that it could get to be addictive.

Anyway, for me to play it, I'd have to get an iPhone or whatever mobile device is able to access the game, and I don't have one. Don't get me wrong- I love technology! I just don't feel the urge to own it in this case.

ETA: FortyTwo (or anyone else who plays): does anyone know how the game programmers decide what GPS coordinates a Pokemon will show up in?

ETA again: I back-read and now I remember that you can use some sort of incense to lure Pokemon to your area... so I guess whatever algorithm the game uses to generate Pokemon is more complicated than that...

Uh oh. I can feel this game trying to suck me in.

Must... resist... Remember what happened with... my Atari 800 games... Hours.. wasted.. on... Star Raiders and... Zork...

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Hackers took the servers down.

Pokémon Go is inaccessible as a major outage has hit the game's servers around the same time the game has launched in more than two dozen countries. A hacking group has claimed responsibility for the outage.

Servers seem to be up and running again. I took the gym across the street before work, and when I got home the gym had been bumped up to level 5. I just bumped it up to level 6.

I let this puppy do my bidding:

IMG_1472_zpssuevscr7.png

Reactions: AeryFairy
While I was asleep, we lost the gym and got it back. Upon waking up, I had 30 minutes to bump the prestige up to the next level and drop in one of my Pokemon. I'm all out of potions now, but I do have 10 more gold coins and 500 more stardust.

I need to go back to the mall.

I just downloaded the app. Apparently there's a gym across the street at the natural springs park, but I can't get into it until I reach level five. :p

Reactions: AeryFairy and Spang
My 10 km egg hatched at the mall after work. I got another Scyther and 32 Scyther candies.

I named my Eevee Pyro and it evolved into a Flareon. The trick works.

I've caught 54 unique Pokemon, I'm up to level 13, and I have great balls.

Last edited:
Reactions: AeryFairy and Poppy
Did some exploring today. Stuck one of my two Jynx at a local gym held by team Valor, and hatched a Mr. Mime out of an egg. I wanna go out again right now but the servers seem to be down again.

Did some exploring today. Stuck one of my two Jynx at a local gym held by team Valor, and hatched a Mr. Mime out of an egg. I wanna go out againright now but the servers seem to be down again.

Been down for us all day. ALL DAY! :sob:

ETA: FortyTwo (or anyone else who plays): does anyone know how the game programmers decide what GPS coordinates a Pokemon will show up in?

As far as I know, no one's completely figured out the spawning algorithms yet. There are some loose community-sourced maps out there that can give you a general idea of what you'll find in your area though.

Hackers took the servers down.

Nah, not hackers, and I doubt they were even responsible. Just a bunch of twenty- and thirty-somethings with too much time on their hands who think the very simple act of DDoSing something constitutes 'ep1( h4x0r luls.' The funniest part of the whole thing is that any outage caused by a DDoS is almost indistinguishable from the regular downtime the game has constant issues with, as everyone playing at the same time is essentially its own DDoS.

I couldn't get beyond creating an avatar (trainer?), it crashed everytime I tried. I gave up after the fifth try.

Eta: Looked around online and it seems others with galaxy tabs are having the same issue. I guess I'll wait and see if a future update fixes the problem.

Last edited:
I couldn't get beyond creating an avatar (trainer?), it crashed everytime I tried. I gave up after the fifth try.

Eta: Looked around online and it seems others with galaxy tabs are having the same issue. I guess I'll wait and see if a future update fixes the problem.

Bummer. Sorry about that. If there's one thing this app is great at, it's instability!

Reactions: Calliegirl