Constipation & hemorrhoids on a plant-based diet?

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Does anyone else get constipation and hemorrhoids on a plant-based diet?

Does anyone else get severely constipated on a plant-based diet? I have these very large stools but they are very hard and can take a long time to come out and require straining to get out.

I think it's causing hemorrhoids because I have these very painful hemorrhoids the last few days that are not going away.

Just the opposite. But if you have increased your fiber, you also need to increase your water intake. People often mistakenly think that fiber alone will help with constipation. But it can cause constipation if you don’t take in sufficient fluids.

The other issue could be you aren't eating enough fresh fruits and vegetables.

This link has some good information.

Have you tracked your diet? Fiber?
You should be getting a wide variety of all sorts of fiber--soluble and unsoluable
Are you eating fruits and veggies? Whole grains? You've talked about beans, so that's good!

Add ground flaxseeds to smoothies, cooked grains, soups....always add to wet foods.
Be sure to drink enough water

Are you eating enough fruit?
Blend some kiwis and watermelon, don't strain.

Reactions: Lou
Just the opposite. But if you have increased your fiber, you also need to increase your water intake. People often mistakenly think that fiber alone will help with constipation. But it can cause constipation if you don’t take in sufficient fluids.

That is a great article.

Reactions: KLS52

I was thinking it could be because of not drinking enough water. My urine is dark yellow a lot of the time and can dribble out at the end, which I think indicates that I'm not drinking enough.

I eat a lot of vegetables, but no fruit at the moment.

Does anyone else get constipation and hemorrhoids on a plant-based diet?

Does anyone else get severely constipated on a plant-based diet? I have these very large stools but they are very hard and can take a long time to come out and require straining to get out.

I think it's causing hemorrhoids because I have these very painful hemorrhoids the last few days that are not going away.

I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc/D3 supplement. Magnesium has a natural laxative effect. I take the calcium for bone strength, but the magnesium will keep you regular.

Last edited:
Are you eating enough fruit?
Blend some kiwis and watermelon, don't strain.
I never really know when to eat fruit because when I finish my meal I already feel full and don't want to eat anything else on top of that. And I never want to snack between meals because I never feel hungry in between meals. (Whenever I try snacking between meals it makes me feel horrible. I get really lethargic afterwards. It also seems to screw up my hunger signals for the next meal. The only time I would ever eat anything after a meal is just if I feel like I didn't eat enough in the meal).

Usually the only time I can eat fruit is with oats if I am having muesli or oatmeal, but I haven't been having that for a while. I will try and incorporate that into my diet a bit later. (I'm eating the same meals every day at the moment whilst I am increasing my calories after dieting. After that I will mix up my meals and try having more fruit).

yes, I find oatmeal is my fruit vehicle as I don't eat a lot of fruit other than with oatmeal - on Saturdays I put frozen cranberries in with the steel cut while it is cooking along with a date or two, then I thaw a mix of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to put on top along with a banana split between the two of us - during the week I do all but the cranberry part

I at least eat a banana every day and occassionally an apple too and the only time I was constipated was when I had to take antibiotics for a tooth infection.

Occasionally, if we have ice cream for dessert in the evening, we put on thawed frozen cherries and/or blueberries.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I was thinking it could be because of not drinking enough water. My urine is dark yellow a lot of the time and can dribble out at the end, which I think indicates that I'm not drinking enough.

I eat a lot of vegetables, but no fruit at the moment.
I believe we have pinpointed the problem.

I think the dribbling is a separate issue. lots of old guys (like me) have that issue. but you should be too young to have that. Mention it to your doctor next time you see him

Our bodies just like cars do have some idiot lights. Dark yellow urine is an idiot light. It means, "Add Water".

We have at least one thread here on the VF about water consumption. there are lots of different strategies suggested and evaluated. I think they pretty much fall into two camps.

one camp is sort of the I'm going to drink a glass of water....

before breakfast
after breakfast
before lunch
after lunch
before dinner
after dinner

It doesn't have to be right before or after. just get it done during those time frames.

The other strategy is the sipping technique.
Get yourself a water bottle with a straw. 24 - 32 oz. fill it up and sip on it constantly. Goal is to finish it off twice a day.

BTW is you don't like just plain old water, you can add stuff to it. a couple of slices of lemon is my favorite.

-----
Some fruit has a different kind of fiber than vegetables. So its a really good idea to include at least two fruits a day. I've adopted Emma's suggestion of adding a lot of fruit to my breakfast.

Another technique to add more fruit to your day is fruit smoothies. A PB banana smoothie is probably not the best suggestion for alleviating constipation. Maybe an OJ/strawberry smoothie would be better. Again check out threads. We have lots of really good fruit smoothie recipes here.

Finally here is the best advice you will get today. :)
buy a bag of those smaller apples that they sell in the stores. Whether you want to or not eat one sometime after dinner. Consider it medicine if you have to.

Reactions: Emma JC
I never really know when to eat fruit because when I finish my meal I already feel full and don't want to eat anything else on top of that. And I never want to snack between meals because I never feel hungry in between meals. (Whenever I try snacking between meals it makes me feel horrible. I get really lethargic afterwards. It also seems to screw up my hunger signals for the next meal. The only time I would ever eat anything after a meal is just if I feel like I didn't eat enough in the meal).

Usually the only time I can eat fruit is with oats if I am having muesli or oatmeal, but I haven't been having that for a while. I will try and incorporate that into my diet a bit later. (I'm eating the same meals every day at the moment whilst I am increasing my calories after dieting. After that I will mix up my meals and try having more fruit).
Oatmeal is the best breakfast ever! We have a great thread on it here at the VF, too.

Make oatmeal your GoTo Breakfast. It is great for weight loss/control. its helps keep you regular. It helps with metabolism and hunger. And lots of important nutrients.

Again check our threads for good oatmeal recipes. Have you tried Overnight Oats? I'll make 4 servings in advance. For me that is a weeks worth.

Add a tbsp of ground flax seed - there is half your omega 3s.
Add 3 tbsp of blueberries or strawberries - thats your daily dose of berries.
And/or applesauce (non-sweetened) of just chop up your apples - maybe in a food processor. Particualry good in OOs.
Anyway check the Everything Oatmeal thread for ideas.

If no fresh fruit is available - use 3 tbsp of raisins. you can sub dried cranberries or apple bits or cherries, or whatever, too.

Chopped almonds are good too.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Hydration is completely linked with elimination!
Just think if you left your oatmeal bowl in the sink, with the remnants of the oatmeal left. Come back later and you have dried up oats lining the bowl, making it hard to get off.
If you were to fill the bowl with water and leave it,you'd be able to pout out and it would be pretty clean!
Same with your intestines

My typical breakfast is cooked oat groats or farro, a Tblsp ground flax, with one of those single serve natural applesauce mixed in, a few raisins, and spices
Don't forget the dark green leafies at other meals
If you don't like plain water try blending it with berries, pineapple, melon or kiwi. You'll be left with pulp at the bottom, so just shake it up as you go. The fruit will add to smooth moves!

Oh. my oldest sister likes a small glass of prune juice right before bed. One of her friends has a glass of water with a fiber supplement - the one made out of prunes.

Reactions: Emma JC
Interesting…prunes/juice never worked for me. I used to have them every day for years. I didn’t stop having a problem “going” until I went vegetarian/vegan. Personally, I think dairy was binding for me.

Interesting…prunes/juice never worked for me. I used to have them every day for years. I didn’t stop having a problem “going” until I went vegetarian/vegan. Personally, I think dairy was binding for me.
Just my observation-I eat 2 or 3 prunes every morning and they don't make an effect on my going or not. I think it's the combination of adding them to water that increases the need. I'm saying that because I eat kiwis and nothing changes, but when I added them to a smoothie--oh boy! :scream:.
That's why I suggested they blend some fruit in their water, it really seems to be the combo.
I don't know, smoothies of berries, pineapple, ground flax --regular stuff--doesn't have noticable difference to me now, but I bet if I was starting this way of eating it would!

I eat the prunes in the morning because-
I buy non sorbate from Trader Joes because they're not the slimy kind!

Luckily I don’t have an issue anymore so I can skip the prunes. Not that I don’t like them. I do. But I’d rather eat other fruit.

Luckily I don’t have an issue anymore so I can skip the prunes. Not that I don’t like them. I do. But I’d rather eat other fruit.
I have no issues at all, not why I have them. I don't like to eat anything more than that till my break 5 hours later. When I read that I felt prunes where a good idea.
I will say it was the non sorbate ones I liked. Others seem to be sticky and slimey, these are dry and chewy

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I used to have those issues. Since having a whole foods plant-based way for eating, more and more, as a vegan, the issues are for the most part in the past, I really like the benefits. I had to use prune juice, or several prunes when I switched to those. Now I get by with maybe having one in the morning, when I remember.