Social Media Mastodon and the Fediverse

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Anyone else here using Mastodon?

The Musk take-over of Twitter has highlighted some of the problems with the centralised, money-driven, for-profit approach to social media.

Of course, running servers and moderating them effectively, especially on the scale typical for social media, does cost money. Crowd-sourcing can go some way to do this, but perhaps in the future some Mastodon instances will also be run by companies for profit. (I see that AWS has recently created an instance.) But even so, with the federated / de-centralised structure, users can pack up and leave for another instance if they so want.

Quick video explaining what Mastodon is:

this forum is my only social media participation although I do pay attention and have been reading about Mastodon the last week or so - it sounds very interesting - Elon seems to have lost his mind... we love watching his rockets take off and land, he should stick to what he does best IMO

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I only recently started to use Twitter, and I was quite shocked about the experience.

I somehow encountered a tweet by Nancy Pelosi thanking everybody who had wished her husband a good recovery after his horrible attack, and about half or the people answering were spewing the usual right-wing conspiracy theories and attacking her and her husband.
Despicables unchained.

My very new Mastodon ID is @andy_th@climatejustice.social

Last edited:
I signed up but then I couldn't see quickly how to find the people I want to follow, I was short on time so I gave up. I came back to it today after this thread reminded me of it but the login repeatedly failed and said I had the wrong email or password.

I've given up. I'll probably only bother to fix the issues if I see that everyone I want to follow is not just going there, but also leaving twitter. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth the effort for now.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Mastodon is just a little bit different, which means you have to spend a little time to learn using it. Just like any other new social media site you encounter. I personally think it's worth the effort, but of course others might have a different view 🙂 I remember back when I first started using Twitter - it certainly had a bit of a learning curve!

Now that you mention it, I have almost forgotten now, but twitter seems so simple now, but when I first started using it, is was so hard to use it was almost ridiculous. very unintuitive how to see replies to comments. and to see what exactly some comments are in connection with, or replying to.