June Health Challenge (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did 50 minutes of walking, half outside, half on the treadmill. I was supposed to walk outside for the whole 50 minutes with a work friend, but miscommunication ensued, and I ended up in the gym for half the workout. Still all good, though.

So I've been on 3 5k runs now & during the last one my dodgy knee started to hurt. The reason I've never taken up running before is because of this knee... & I was so happy when it didn't play up during the first two runs.

So I think I'll need to invest in some good running trainers & see if it helps. :)

So I've been on 3 5k runs now & during the last one my dodgy knee started to hurt. The reason I've never taken up running before is because of this knee... & I was so happy when it didn't play up during the first two runs.

So I think I'll need to invest in some good running trainers & see if it helps. :)
Have you tried wrapping the knee or wearing a flexible brace? I have issues with both knees just from walking. The course I take has two big hills so it's a problem. Wrapping gives just enough support. I also ice them for 10-15 minutes when I'm done.

I imagine it might not work for running since the impact is a lot harder...but maybe worth a try?

I use something like this or I just wrap it with an Ace bandage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435137380.194909.jpg

Raggle, are you running every day? If so, it might help to have a day off in between just to give your knee a rest. I do this when I've done a lot of climbing on the treadmill and end up with the achy knee. My right knee is definitely dodgy. Also, good shoes will help. I know when the knee starts aching regularly that it's time for new shoes.

Today I did the 5k course at work and added a little bit so that I'd get to 50 minutes of walking. It was a beautiful morning, so there was no way I was working out inside. :D

Reactions: hungryraccoon
Raggle, are you running every day? If so, it might help to have a day off in between just to give your knee a rest. I do this when I've done a lot of climbing on the treadmill and end up with the achy knee. My right knee is definitely dodgy. Also, good shoes will help. I know when the knee starts aching regularly that it's time for new shoes.

Today I did the 5k course at work and added a little bit so that I'd get to 50 minutes of walking. It was a beautiful morning, so there was no way I was working out inside. :D
Oh no, I'm a complete newbie to running. Just once a week for now...I really prefer other forms of exercise but thought it'd be good to do this as cardio once a week.

Went on another 5k run this evening. Knee hurt again :( going to get running trainers asap & hope that helps.

Oh no, I'm a complete newbie to running. Just once a week for now...I really prefer other forms of exercise but thought it'd be good to do this as cardio once a week.

Went on another 5k run this evening. Knee hurt again :( going to get running trainers asap & hope that helps.
Oh, OK. I hope the new shoes help! I definitely need new ones, as the soles are getting too worn.
I walked 4.5 miles today outside. I used to run a lot back in the day, and I really miss it sometimes.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
Status
Not open for further replies.