June Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
It's my favourite month of the year! Happy June, everyone.

Share your health goals, keep us in the loop on your progress, support your fellow VVers, get advice if you need it, and so on. And, as always, remember that health isn't necessarily weight loss! It can be anything, physical or mental, which contributes to a healthier, happier you.

Last month's thread is here.

Reactions: PTree15
Off to a good start!
Just came back from a morning walk.
It's 7:40 am, 4500 steps so far, 2.2 miles, 40 active minutes. [emoji1435]☀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost about 4 and 1/2 lbs in May.

I realised I can get my blood pressure checked at a pharmacy near me so I'm hoping to get that done next Monday.

I will just put the BP chart here as I will probably put my result on this thread.:p:rolleyes:

I think I was in the red section when I first got the high BP result and then when I had it checked again it was in the yellow section.

I'm hoping it will be in the ideal range again when I have it checked this time.

large

Last edited:
I did pretty well in May exercise-wise, though I didn't lose the three pounds I wanted to, mostly because I didn't cut down enough in snacks and what-not. No biggie, though, June is another month, and it's such a great weather month. I'm looking forward to lots of outdoor fun. :)

Goals:
Continue five to six days of cardio a week and work the core two or three times a week (I've been doing well with that!);
Drink at least 48 ounces of water a day;
Get at least seven hours of sleep a night (I have been doing much better in this department, yahoo!);
Cut down on the white-refined carbs (last night's panini dinner aside, haha); limit them to one meal per day;
Lose three pounds.

Let the fun begin!
I started off with the 5k walk at work with my friend this morning. I can't believe how fast it goes by when I walk with someone. It's so much fun because we get to catch up and chat. She is a good workout buddy.

Good luck with your goals, everyone!

Good luck everyone! And well done to all of you who attempted your goals last month <3

I've just come back from skating. I bought a new pair of insoles for my skates (special sport ones for high arches) and after testing them out today, they've really made a difference :) Less foot pain, less back pain, and I'm not rolling my ankles and knees inwards with every push. I've just ordered another two pairs for my gym shoes and my everyday trainers - should improve the condition of my knees and ankles if I use them all the time.

Goals for this month include hitting my protein & other nutrition targets, going to at least one CrossFit session a week, and skating at least once a week. I'm also aiming to finally nail my transitions (turning around whilst moving on skates).

I'm trying to cut out caffeine before my BP test too. I had to write a note and stick it on the fridge as I automatically went to make a pot of tea this morning.:rolleyes:

I thought I would just try it as it's only until Monday, I sometimes have a lot of strong black tea in the day if it's chilly like today.

I thought I would just try it as it's only until Monday, I sometimes have a lot of strong black tea in the day if it's chilly like today.

I've had higher counts recently and I find that it has nothing to do with drinking caffeine. I was told to have more checks if the number went up.

Good morning/afternoon/evening!
I did my 5k walk at work today, as it was a beautiful morning! Perfect summer day.

Reactions: KLS52 and AeryFairy
Today's CrossFit was worse than the last one!! It was upper-body focused, so we did a lot of dumbbell work - after the warm up we did an exercise which involved increasing the weight we were lifting with each round (even though we were getting more tired). We then did the following:
1 minute dumbbell cleans
1 minute burpees
1 minute sit-ups
as above, but 2 mins
as above, but back to 1 min

no rests, no stopping. 2 solid minutes of burpees alone might have killed me if they hadn't started playing Beyonce, which automatically makes me power through whatever I happen to be doing at the time :p

Rewarded myself afterwards with a shower, a protein shake and an awesome dinner. Now to enjoy my weekend :)

Unhealthy: I got very, very drunk last night... mostly on sugary cocktails.
Healthy: In the process, I managed to walk over 7 miles (around 16,000 steps), because we started at a festival in the middle of a park, then walked between a few bars, then walked halfway home trying to find a taxi.

Reactions: PTree15
7 miles! Wow.

I just took a speed walk around the block and felt like I needed a shower when I got home. It is quite hot today though.:p

AF, that's awesome on the 7 miles. In honor of your reporting format:
Unhealthy: I drank lots of beer and wine with my aunt and uncle over the weekend (those party animals!).
Healthy: I ate lots of fruit and took a walk with my uncle (he used to run marathons).

Started off the week right, though, with the 5k walk at work today during a glorious sunny summer morning.

7 miles! Wow.

I just took a speed walk around the block and felt like I needed a shower when I got home. It is quite hot today though.:p

It has been quite a bit warmer than usual recently!

For those of us dealing with a level of heat that we aren't used to, make sure to take extra care! Stay hydrated, don't forget to eat, know the signs of dehydration, and use sun screen.

I've been using two water bottles in a rotation; one half-full in the freezer, then take it out when frozen, top it up with cold water, and replace with the other half-full one. It ensures I have plenty of ice cold water to hand. And, at nights when it gets this warm, I wrap a frozen ice pack (like a picnic one) in a towel and sleep with it like a teddy bear.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Status
Not open for further replies.