June Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good advice on dealing with the heat. We regularly get the nasty heat, but my body has never tolerated it well, so I'm always drinking lots of water before and during any activity in that kind of heat. Most of the time, though, I will work out inside when I can if it's super humid.

Reactions: KLS52
Today was my weigh in day and I have lost another pound. I was hoping for another 2 pounds but a loss is a loss! We have ordered a treadmill which will arrive Friday so we will be able to get some walking done without having to worry about the heat or rain.

I do my walking before work when it's still only 65-70 degrees. Once it heats up during the day I do shorter stints so as not to get overheated. Sometimes during lunch break we drive to the bike trail by the lake where there is partial shade from the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PTree15
My blood pressure is still in the high range.:pout: Systolic 139 and diastolic 98. Heart rate 120. She said I have to go and see my doctor and get the blood pressure tested again.

On the up side I walked for 3 miles today. I wondered if my blood pressure could have been higher because I had been walking in the heat beforehand.

ETA - I just checked my heart rate after resting and it was 99.

Last edited:
Ugh, Moll, so sorry about the blood pressure. That's tricky for sure.

I decided to order a blood pressure monitor to use at home. The woman at the pharmacy said the ones you can buy work as well as the ones they use.

I'm going to carry on limiting caffeine, limit alcoholic drinks and exercise at least 20 minutes every day and go to my GP in a month and see if it has changed. I want to lose some more weight in that time as well to see if that makes a difference.:)

Sounds like a good plan, Moll.

I did a Leslie Sansone video this morning because I overslept and didn't have time to pack up all my gear to get to the gym at work in time. It was a two-miler, but it was much faster than her usual pace. I liked it a lot, and I did sweat plenty.

I decided to order a blood pressure monitor to use at home. The woman at the pharmacy said the ones you can buy work as well as the ones they use.

I'm going to carry on limiting caffeine, limit alcoholic drinks and exercise at least 20 minutes every day and go to my GP in a month and see if it has changed. I want to lose some more weight in that time as well to see if that makes a difference.:)

Good luck! Sounds like you've got a good plan in place with manageable goals :)

Reactions: ledboots
My blood pressure is still in the high range.:pout: Systolic 139 and diastolic 98. Heart rate 120. She said I have to go and see my doctor and get the blood pressure tested again.

On the up side I walked for 3 miles today. I wondered if my blood pressure could have been higher because I had been walking in the heat beforehand.

ETA - I just checked my heart rate after resting and it was 99.
Geez that seems like a high resting heart rate. I'm glad you have a plan...I hope it works. My resting heart rate is usually around 64 but I'm on medication for an arrhythmia so that probably has something to do with it. It used to be 72.

Geez that seems like a high resting heart rate. I'm glad you have a plan...I hope it works. My resting heart rate is usually around 64 but I'm on medication for an arrhythmia so that probably has something to do with it. It used to be 72.

Yes, I know. :(I had an ECG two years ago, but they said that my heart was fine.o_O I know given my family history of heart attacks at quite a young age that I would likely have to be on medication at some point, but I'm probably not helping by not taking care of myself properly! I've had a lot of stress over the past few years too. Anyway, green smoothie for breakfast today.:)

ETA - I just did my heart rate this morning and it was 66.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. :(I had an ECG two years ago, but they said that my heart was fine.o_O I know given my family history of heart attacks at quite a young age that I would likely have to be on medication at some point, but I'm probably not helping by not taking care of myself properly! I've had a lot of stress over the past few years too. Anyway, green smoothie for breakfast today.:)

Oh, 66 is good! :)

Both my parents died from heart disease fairly young...dad at 59 and mom at 66. I think I'm in pretty good shape considering. They both had heart valve issues/surgery. Mine is more of an electrical problem but otherwise my heart is healthy.

I've just done a lunchtime CrossFit session... the lulled us into a false sense of security with nice stretches and foam rollers, which was designed to loosen us up for weightlifting. I've never lifted weights before, so that was an interesting one. I actually really enjoyed it, although it was super hard work. I'm pretty exhausted now. Had a protein smoothie and a bit of a rest, and need to get off my butt and get on with the housework in a bit.

Oh, 66 is good! :)

Both my parents died from heart disease fairly young...dad at 59 and mom at 66. I think I'm in pretty good shape considering. They both had heart valve issues/surgery. Mine is more of an electrical problem but otherwise my heart is healthy.

:hug:

Yay! Hospital heart rate tests never work too well for me... doctors make me nervous, which sends my heart rate up :p It's not great anyway though, I don't think... I've got my eye on the fitbit charge with the heart rate monitor, it's something I'd like to keep an eye on.

Sorry, I will stop going on about about my blood pressure,:oops: but I just got the blood pressure monitor (thank you Amazon Prime) and I got 127 systolic and 91 diastolic this time. Knowing me I will probably get obsessed and check it every day from now on.:D

What AF said! ^^^
I took today off from working out hard. I hadn't done a Leslie video in a while, and this morning my muscles and back were a little tight, as that video was faster paced than others of hers. I may take a lunchtime stroll at work, though, just to do something and stretch things out a bit.

Sorry, I will stop going on about about my blood pressure,:oops: but I just got the blood pressure monitor (thank you Amazon Prime) and I got 127 systolic and 91 diastolic this time. Knowing me I will probably get obsessed and check it every day from now on.:D
We have a bp machine for my husband so he can keep a check on his blood pressure. It is fairly accurate. If anything, it tends to be slightly higher than when he has it checked at the doctor's office.

I managed to get my morning walk in but it was raining at lunch time so I didn't reach my 10000 steps. [emoji20]

We have a bp machine for my husband so he can keep a check on his blood pressure. It is fairly accurate. If anything, it tends to be slightly higher than when he has it checked at the doctor's office.

I hope mine is accurate as I just used my monitor and it was 122/80. Almost in the normal range already. Brilliant, I was expecting it to take weeks for my blood pressure to come down, not a couple of days.:confused: Vegan superpower, haha!:D

I really missed my cups of strong tea at first (I was almost tearing my hair out last week!) but I'm getting used to herbal tea instead. I've only been having a couple of glasses of wine after dinner and using a lot less salt when cooking. I'm having a chickpea and sweet potato curry for lunch today.:)

I hope mine is accurate as I just used my monitor and it was 122/80. Almost in the normal range already. Brilliant, I was expecting it to take weeks for my blood pressure to come down, not a couple of days.:confused: Vegan superpower, haha!:D

I really missed my cups of strong tea at first (I was almost tearing my hair out last week!) but I'm getting used to herbal tea instead. I've only been having a couple of glasses of wine after dinner and using a lot less salt when cooking. I'm having a chickpea and sweet potato curry for lunch today.:)
Nice job! Sounds like you are on the right track. [emoji4]

So a fair chunk of my health goals include tracking what I eat, and the best way to avoid going over or getting the wrong balance of nutrients is to plan. Anyway, my meal plan for tomorrow is looking awesome and I actually can't wait!

It's a high-carb day because I'm going to CrossFit again (second session this week), and I need to pack a lot of protein in. So I'm having:

Breakfast: Blueberry protein pancakes (you make a batter and add protein powder, never done it before, looking forward to trying it out)
Lunch: Toasted "bacon" sandwich on seeded bread
Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese & bruschetta
Snacks: Protein flapjack, fresh fruit, protein smoothie

Calories: 2180
Protein: 132g

Status
Not open for further replies.