June Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
121/86 this morning.:) That's good as I haven't been able to exercise the past couple of days as my ankle is hurting from where I twisted it last week.:rolleyes:

I just ordered lots of fruit and veggies in my shopping. I've been having a green smoothie daily. I had forgotten how much I actually like them.

Breakfast: Blueberry protein pancakes (you make a batter and add protein powder, never done it before, looking forward to trying it out)
Lunch: Toasted "bacon" sandwich on seeded bread
Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese & bruschetta
Snacks: Protein flapjack, fresh fruit, protein smoothie

Sounds delicious.:lick:

That was the most brutal session yet.

After the warm up (which is still super difficult), we had to do an obstacle course. They put us into two teams, we had to go around it and then tag the next person in our teams. We had to do it three times, and if we knocked a part of the course over, the entire team had to do 10 burpees before we could continue. My first time round, I tripped on a hurdle, took out half the course, and earned us 40 burpees :fp:

Then for the main section, we had to do a mile run, 50 lunges, 50 push ups, and 2km on the rowing machine. They set us a time for each bit, and for every 10 seconds we were over that time, we had to do 10 burpees before moving on to the next thing. No breaks. One poor girl earned 120 burpees for being 2 minutes over on her rowing time.

But, on the bright side, I actually got through it. Now to reward myself with a protein smoothie and a visit to my osteopath :p

Reactions: PTree15
I have done nothing but work the last few days. Sleep won out over working out, but I am optimistic I will get a good sweat or two in this weekend.

Reactions: ledboots
Sorry, I will stop going on about about my blood pressure,:oops: but I just got the blood pressure monitor (thank you Amazon Prime) and I got 127 systolic and 91 diastolic this time. Knowing me I will probably get obsessed and check it every day from now on.:D
It's a good idea to check it, and tecord the measurements. It will give your doc a true picture. The 91 is a little high. To lower it, if you smoke, quit. Easy on the caffeine. Take a few cleansing breaths in the morning, before sleeping, and when you think about it during the day. Use turmeric liberally in your food. Easy on the salt, especially if you are the kind that gets water weight. You might try a magnesium supplement before bed.

Did I mention daily meditation and yoga a few times a week........................... ,;)

I just kept reading and see you are already taking very good steps to lower the BP! [emoji106]

We are continuing to track all our food and it is paying off especially for Jeremy who has now lost nearly 15 pounds! I am very proud of him! Our treadmill will be delivered on Wednesday so we are excited about that. Jeremy ordered some free weights as well which have arrived. We will have our own "mini gym" soon!

I just kept reading and see you are already taking very good steps to lower the BP! [emoji106]

Ledboots - I just checked and got this result today 118/86. Is that normal blood pressure now or does the diastolic have to go under 80?

BP_zpsrszbmw5b.jpg

We are continuing to track all our food and it is paying off especially for Jeremy who has now lost nearly 15 pounds! I am very proud of him! Our treadmill will be delivered on Wednesday so we are excited about that. Jeremy ordered some free weights as well which have arrived. We will have our own "mini gym" soon!

Wow, you are both doing so well!

Ledboots - I just checked and got this result today 118/86. Is that normal blood pressure now or does the diastolic have to go under 80?

BP_zpsrszbmw5b.jpg

Wow, you are both doing so well!
It's better to have the diastolic under 80. That is often the number that takes longer to fix. Also it's sometimes genetic, which might be true in your case.

You are doing lower salt and high protein, exercise, drinking water, limit caffeine, no nicotine, limiting alcohol blah blah blah.

I gave my mother-in-law the rest of my tea and just kept the herbal stuff. :(:p I think my high blood pressure was definitely due to too much caffeine and salt as my blood pressure today was 115/72.

I'm quite happy as the high reading was only 10 days ago.:)

Good job, girl! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave my mother-in-law the rest of my tea and just kept the herbal stuff. :(:p I think my high blood pressure was definitely due to too much caffeine and salt as my blood pressure today was 115/72.

I'm quite happy as the high reading was only 10 days ago.:)

Yay you!! <3

Speaking of tea, slightly off-topic, but as part of my birthday present, the husband got me some herbal tea pods that fit into the Nespresso machine :3 I love herbal teas!

Back on-topic... I'm starting to notice a bit of a difference at CrossFit. I can go for longer without getting tired, and I can lift more than I could just a couple of weeks ago. My weight bar on Wednesday actually had weights on it :eek:

I've been a little naughty food/drink-wise, though... but birthday calories don't count ;)

Keep up the good work everyone!!

I'm hitting my 10,000+ steps almost every day. I walk most mornings before work and again at lunch time. I'm loving the Fitbit my daughter handed down to me. I find it's a good motivator. It tells me when I only have 750 steps to go to hit 10,000 so it makes me want to get up and move, haha.

Wow, everyone is doing great! It's awesome to read about everyone's progress. :)
AF, happy birthday. It sounds like you had some fun. ;) And awesome on your increasing fitness level. I'm impressed. :)
Moll, awesome on the BP!!
IS, great job on getting back to the gym. :)
Chryssie and Jeremy...wow! I'm jealous that you're getting a treadmill. If I ever get a place on the first floor, I will get a treadmill. :)
KLS, I love the idea of a fitbit, and congrats on getting in all those steps. That is awesome.

I, too, have had a very good week, food-wise and exercise-wise. Sleep-wise, not so much, but I think it's mainly due to some family drama that has been stressing/worrying me a bit, lol. Hence, why the exercise is so important for me. It really does work out some of the anxiety. I have done my 5K walk five times this week. I'm very pleased! And I've got my meal portions back down to a reasonable amount, and I've been staying away from the sugary stuff and watching those white carbs. The pants feel a tad looser, which is nice. :) Tomorrow I will walk at the beach. I'm shooting for 4 or 5 miles. :)

Reactions: KLS52 and AeryFairy
The treadmill was a bit of a challenge to maneuver into our bedroom where I had to make space for it. If we could afford a 2 bedroom apartment, I would make the 2nd bedroom a work out room! I have walked for 30 minutes on it and Jeremy has walked a couple of times but he over did on some other exercises and is really sore now. :/ The treadmill is cool as it has speakers and a plug for your iPod or phone so you can listen to your music without ear buds which I hate. It does not track calories correctly though but we have apps for that. LOL

I guess I will jump in on this thread. I see that Chryssie already has :D As Chryssie has already said we have calorie budgets set via Lose It App! It seems to really have it figured out to help consistently lose between a pound and two pounds per week, which I can only assume is a pretty healthy rate of weight lose. Though I admit I lost more than that at first. Since May 15th I've lost 15.8lbs simply from limiting calorie intake. Now we're adding burning calories to the mix. This morning I walked 3.25 miles and tomorrow I will no doubt do the same again, maybe paired with an upper body dumbbell workout.

I guess I will jump in on this thread. I see that Chryssie already has :D As Chryssie has already said we have calorie budgets set via Lose It App! It seems to really have it figured out to help consistently lose between a pound and two pounds per week, which I can only assume is a pretty healthy rate of weight lose. Though I admit I lost more than that at first. Since May 15th I've lost 15.8lbs simply from limiting calorie intake. Now we're adding burning calories to the mix. This morning I walked 3.25 miles and tomorrow I will no doubt do the same again, maybe paired with an upper body dumbbell workout.
Nice job! Do they sell "diet" beer? Lol. [emoji4]

Nice job! Do they sell "diet" beer? Lol. [emoji4]

Yeah, the fizzy yellow stuff that makes you grimace when you first taste it, lol. Now the serious answer: We are doing a lot of small format bottles lately. Same big beers, but split between us, 6oz pours. It would seem that calorie content largely rides on alcohol by volume. I found this very helpful chart :)

cal-chart.jpg

Reactions: KLS52
I have walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Since I work the next 3 days, I probably won't use it again until the end of the week. I consider my work my workout especially when I am "on the floor" which is running all over the place doing multiple tasks.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.