Hope for Vegans in Jesus

peacefulveglady

Peacefully Vegan and Proud
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I like the church because at the end of the day, boots on the ground it is churches running the homeless shelters, the food banks, the food pantries, the meals, showers for the homeless, laundry for the homeless, the food rescuing programs, the clothing handouts, etc. Atheists love to pretend to take the moral high ground, but they aren't preparing meals every day in every city and town in the USA. They aren't handing out toothbrushes, razors, and tampons. They don't want to get their hands dirty. They don't want to actually stand directly in front of poverty and try to give simple understanding gesture and help other than maybe giving a beggar $2.
There are county food banks for all walks of life to volunteer at. It not just churches that pass out free food to the poor and needy. Most churches believe in passing out animal products because thier Bible states that God wanted them to have and animal products.
I find its harder to go to a church pantry as a vegan.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There are county food banks for all walks of life to volunteer at. It not just churches that pass out free food to the poor and needy. Most churches believe in passing out animal products because thier Bible states that God wanted them to have and animal products.
I find its harder to go to a church pantry as a vegan.
Our church partners with a food ministry that will rescue any and all food that a grocery store is willing to give, there is no scripture involved. We usually have vegan choices galore, and are completely unable to give away soy/oat milk and faux meat/cheese which we get with nearly every shipment. We always have fresh fruit and vegetables, and prepare shipments from farm to food pantry of imperfect produce that farmers would throw in a hole in the ground otherwise. I could have an unlimited supply if I asked. I would much rather already existing animal products go to people who would be willing to use them then a landfill.

But if I showed a list of food banks and pantries, there would be one secular public option citywide, and an entire page of churches stepping up, every single day. Not to say atheists don't volunteer in the churches, they do a lot, and we love them for it. It's just atheists don't have large clubhouses to hang out at to provide services from.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I like the church because at the end of the day, boots on the ground it is churches running the homeless shelters, the food banks, the food pantries, the meals, showers for the homeless, laundry for the homeless, the food rescuing programs, the clothing handouts, etc. Atheists love to pretend to take the moral high ground, but they aren't preparing meals every day in every city and town in the USA. They aren't handing out toothbrushes, razors, and tampons. They don't want to get their hands dirty. They don't want to actually stand directly in front of poverty and try to give simple understanding gesture and help other than maybe giving a beggar $2.
Oh. Your. God. :no:
That is simply an untruth. There are lots of humanist run food pantries, shelters, rehabs, free medical clinics, domestic violence shelters, law advice and pro-bona services, as well as clean needles, birth control, abortions, prenatal care, counseling.
Of course religious run charities have their advantages--they are tax exempt, and allowed to pick and choose who they help, and limit the help to their own tailored agendas.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
...and then there's the ones that feel a need to insert their special beliefs spoiling an otherwise nice thread, in an otherwise secular forum. 🙄

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I was homeless I was rejected by every state run program at DSHS from EBT to Healthcare because I worked and was going to school. I told them I was literally starving (1 week without food) and while I was crying they literally handed me a list of churches. They tore up my applications in front of me and offered me condoms (I was celibate.) Churches would literally put toiletries and food on the hood of my car while I was sleeping in it. I figured out really fast who really cared about me.

I don't forget my life debts. The church kept me feed, clothed, let me sleep on church property, provided me showers and meals. Even the cultish denominations showed me nothing but grace.

Last edited:

FredVegrox

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
All right, a vegan believer! Praise God. Me too, I'm a vegan believer. Yeah a diet of only plants matches the will of God. And some day that's what everyone's diet will be! Hopefully more people will become be vegan whether Christians or not. We can bring the message of Jesus to vegans and bring the message of plant based diets to those who already believe.. Our church has a lot of veg or vegan folks. We serve vegan food every week. Sometimes we have special events about plant based diets and natural health for community outreach as well as member outreach. If you're ever near Los Angeles you're welcome to visit! Same goes to anyone else on these forums. You can message me if you want.

Josef
I am reasonably near Los Angeles, but with not driving, myself, it is not so conveniently near. I am by the county line to San Bernardino County. It sounds like you have a good church, better than a church I can attend that would have vegan food served at any event. Since the COVID distancing I just have not gone back to church.

I would still take messages and respond to them when I can.

I am sure there is God and I can trust Jesus, and my veganism is consistent with it, as things should be going to what is better. Do others have a right to not believe there is God? Sure they do, and they have a right to not listen and hear communication such as I might give that there is God. They don't have to and I would leave them alone. But if they would want to hear how I am sure there is God, I can really tell them about that.

Maybe there should be a forum where it can be discussed with acceptance of veganism in that.