Space Sciences Astronomical Events news thread

Eclipse2017 | Total Solar Eclipse 2017

And beware of imposter eclipse glasses with fake safety labels!! These are the good guys....

The AAS' reputable vendors of solar filters and viewers list:

• American Paper Optics (Eclipser) / EclipseGlasses.com / 3dglassesonline.com
  • APM Telescopes (Sunfilter Glasses)
  • Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold Film)
  • Celestron (EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers)
  • DayStar (Solar Glasses)
  • Welding filters with shade 12 or higher
  • Explore Scientific (Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses)
  • Lunt Solar Systems (SUNsafe SUNglasses)
  • Meade Instruments (EclipseView Glasses & Viewers)
  • Rainbow Symphony (Eclipse Shades)
  • Seymour Solar (Helios Glasses)
  • Thousand Oaks Optical (Silver-Black Polymer & SolarLite)
  • TSE 17 (Solar Filter Foil)

No one I know is going. Not surprising, really.... it would've taken much more planning... nowhere to stay. LOL :shrug:

How to take in the solar eclipse without a pair of those elusive glasses

Last edited:
I don't even know if we'll have a partial. :p Thunderstorms predicted for late morning/early afternoon. Anyhoo, here's this:

Here's What You Need To Know About The Total Solar Eclipse

I can't say I'm super excited about this... I'm not. Jer is, keeps trying to sell me on it. Be he likes the sun, goes out & intentionally burns his flesh.

Nope. Not my flesh, not my eyes. I am very much a lunar kinda gal. I get hypnotized by the moon... like I'm standing on nothing when I stare at it.

If I catch the eclipse at all tomorrow, I'll be looking at cool shadows.

I would like to plan to see the lunar eclipse on January 31st, however. :mcat:

Reactions: Amy SF
My folks should be at the Delta College Planetarium in downtown Bay City right now, with who know how many other people.... they've got two solar telescopes in the parking lot & they're live-streaming NASA inside.

I poked a safety pin through a paper plate. LMAO :p

About an hour from now for us here... 2:24 PM. It's 1:23 now.

Here & Now is following totality across the country, listening to the cheers & reactions... You can listen, too: Here & Now

Google's thing is cute.... :D

great-american-eclipse-2017-5750068496826368.3-law.gif

3wytxt

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF
IMAG0420.jpg After telling my son not to dare use his camera for the eclipse- I took this on mine-

Cleveland, OH

Last edited:
I read it can damage some cameras, but mine is old so I chanced it. We're only like 70%

I read it can damage some cameras, but mine is old so I chanced it. We're only like 70%
I glanced up & out through the window to see where the sun was in the sky... went out to the PT, started it up, turned on the A/C & the radio (to Here & Now), opened the sunroof to check where the sun was again.... didn't look like anything was happening, it got a tiny bit darker, couldn't really tell, it just looked sunny with hazy cloud cover. My eyes feel a touch like they did when I was a kid after a day at the beach, though. :confused:

I had a relative that was in the 98% coverage area and they said it was pretty cool. It got dark enough there that the street lights came on, and the temperate also dropped enough that they could notice it.

Unfortunately, it was only 68% percent here and it wasn't at all noticeable.

It was totally cloudy here and I didn't notice any change in lighting. I watched the eclipse cross the country on a phone app and it was awesome.

I kinda-sorta wished I had gone to either Charleston SC or Nashville TN to see it... but not that badly. Before the eclipse the forecast was clouds and rain for Charleston, and partly cloudy for Nashville.

I understand Charleston did get a break in the clouds just as totality occurred, but it was still a bit overcast and you couldn't really see the corona that well. But nearby, there was a thunderstorm brewing, and some thought it made for a really atmospheric (harharhar) experience, what with all that going on.

Nashville had generally better viewing conditions, but some parts of the city clouded over during totality and you couldn't see anything, so it was really a crapshoot as to whether or not you lucked out.

Some of us had those special glasses at work, and one of them let me take a few seconds to have a look. We only had about 65% coverage at best- not even close to totality. I took a bit of time off at work to watch the streaming coverage of the eclipse online; it was better than nothing, and maybe even better than a spot that had very poor viewing.

A trip to Kentuckys Mammoth Cave would have been perfect for this! too late of course, but I'd still like to go back