Space Sciences Rosetta mission to comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There are some stunning images from this mission which I thought would be of interest.
NAVCAM_top_10_at_10_km_%E2%80%93_5_%2815765224912%29.jpg

Comet_67P_on_26_September_2014_NavCam_montage.jpg

Comet_67P_on_28_October_2014_NavCam_montage.jpg

All images are by the European Space Agency (ESA). More images of 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko here:
Category: photos of Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko taken by Rosetta - Wikimedia Commons

For reference:
Rosetta is a robotic space probe built and launched by the European Space Agency. Along with Philae, its lander module, Rosetta is performing a detailed study of comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko (67P).[6][7] It also performed a flyby of the planet Mars and asteroids 21 Lutetia and 2867 Šteins.[8][9][10] On 12 November 2014 the mission performed the first soft landing on a comet and returned data from the surface.[11]
More: Rosetta (spacecraft) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's too bad the lander touched down in a situation where it wouldn't get enough sunlight to power it. Any news about this issue? I haven't heard anything, but supposedly it might get more sunlight when the comet gets closer to the sun.

I was surprised when they found out that the "dirty snowball" this comet was supposed to be turned out to be more of a snowy dirtball... but maybe I shouldn't have. I vaguely remember a flyby of another comet quite some time ago that showed its nucleus to be quite dark in color.

It's too bad the lander touched down in a situation where it wouldn't get enough sunlight to power it. Any news about this issue? I haven't heard anything, but supposedly it might get more sunlight when the comet gets closer to the sun.
The wikipedia article on Philae says it might have enough sunlight by August this year to resume operations.

I was surprised when they found out that the "dirty snowball" this comet was supposed to be turned out to be more of a snowy dirtball... but maybe I shouldn't have. I vaguely remember a flyby of another comet quite some time ago that showed its nucleus to be quite dark in color.
I didn't know much about it in advance, but I read that experts were surprised at the sight of sand dunes on this presumably low-gravity object.

It's too bad the lander touched down in a situation where it wouldn't get enough sunlight to power it. Any news about this issue?
Here's something:
There are renewed hopes that the Philae probe might be salvageable after engineers began the laborious task of trying to reconnect with it.
Mission control will continue to send signals to Philae until March 20 when the probe will again be out of the necessary orbit.
More: Rosetta mission: Philae could be saved - Telegraph (13. March 2015)

Last edited:
The sense of relief in the mission team must be immense. Many people had worried that the very low temperatures endured by the lander on the icy comet could have done irreparable damage to its electronic circuitry.
Had Philae landed where it was planned to land, the scientists expected it to die after a few months due to overheating. However:
As it was, the robot bounced into its shaded ditch and went into hibernation. And that long slumber means it has now come back to life at a far more interesting time on Comet 67P - just as it nears perihelion, the closest point to the Sun.
More: Philae comet lander: The plucky robot is back - BBC News (14. June 2015)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new pictures it hopefully gets to take. Hmmm......it feels weird calling it an it. :confused: I'm looking forward to seeing the new pictures Philae takes. That's better. :D