Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We've all been there... when someone finds out you're vegan and instantly starts questioning you. Well, this is a good thing because it means the person is interested and will be receptive to what you say (I know often they're asking in a sarcastic way, but here's your chance to share some knowledge and wisdom). I personally handle these questions with facts about how veganism is affecting our environment, animals and other human beings. I actually made a spoken word video on YouTube called 'The Truth That's Hidden' which I can refer people to.

Anyways, I'd like to know how everyone else handles this. Do you go with facts too? Or go for more a more personal approach? Maybe down the health route? And also, which is the most important reason for you to be vegan: The animals, The planet or Health reasons? Not to say they're not all irrefutably critical, but I'm just wondering which domain do you consider most effective for reaching people on an emotional level where they're likely to make a lifestyle change.

Cheers guys :)

Quite new to this but I think you should lead with the morality of animal ethics, since that is really the most profound and true argument, but present in a polite way.

By the way, has anyone noticed anything different on the forum today? I can't quite place it. I think maybe they changed the font type. Yes, that must be it.

Reactions: Harry Kirzynowski
That's true Jamie. And yeah some treats for us on the forum ;). Also, are you actually in Chile?

I always just say "I do it for the animals." They usually, dare I say it, look a bit sheepish. Some pursue it and some change the subject.

I always just say "I do it for the animals." They usually, dare I say it, look a bit sheepish. Some pursue it and some change the subject.

Yeah fair enough Sally, I guess it depends on the individual as to whether they want to know more.

So, Jamie in Chile comes clean and tells us that he lives in Chile. What an enlightening post this is. Here's a poser for you: I'll sign off as Paul in England. Where do you think that I live?

Reactions: Harry Kirzynowski
So, Jamie in Chile comes clean and tells us that he lives in Chile. What an enlightening post this is. Here's a poser for you: I'll sign off as Paul in England. Where do you think that I live?

Mr Gammage. I was just intrigued as to whether Jamie lives in Chile... Yeah your right- Dumb question. Oh well. :)

Have a nice day, Paul.

If anyone's interested the photo I use on this forum is a photo of Aconcagua, the highest mountain in the Americas and highest in the world if we exclude the Himalayas, which I took myself from the mountain Roble in Chile a couple of months ago, at a distance of around 60 or 70 miles so there is a lot of zoom in the photo. Aconcagua, the peak is just over the border in Argentina. All the foreground of the picture from the tree to the first line of mountains is in Chile so there are two countries in the picture.

I simply say I'm vegan for my health. They get this confused look on their face and don't know what to say. Usually ends the conversation.

I have found that it's not worth my time because then people want to argue with me. People will only change their belief system when they personally have a reason to do so.

Earlier in the year I had a friend of my mother's ask me for help healing her fibromyalgia (she knew I used to have it for over 10 years). I told her I would only help her if she was serious and that most people waste my time because they don't want to do what it takes. She told me she would do ANYTHING to get rid of the pain. Well, she didn't!

Yeah, I get what you mean Gail. It's difficult because I always have the urge to fire every reason at people but at the same time I know it wont matter unless they understand it deep within themselves.

I usually reply that it makes intercourse better, then go on to explaining how eating low fat/plant based helps with the blood flow in all the areas that matter. Like the brain and the heart.

I say I've seen the truth of how animal agriculture works and it's disgusting and wrong and add that if they look into it I bet they will do the same.

That's my main message but yea if the conversation goes that way I'll throw in about Ecology and Health.

When people ask me, I tell them it is for health reasons. The furthest I've needed to go was saying that it helped with my cholesterol levels and allergies.

When people ask me, I tell them it is for health reasons. The furthest I've needed to go was saying that it helped with my cholesterol levels and allergies.
I found that with angina, the problem went away after about 3 months.

yes... it didn't just clear up instantly. i had a very stable case of angina with very repeatable symptoms. i could take a walk and get about 1/4 mile before the slow discomfort would start.. i tried to get an appt with a cardiologist and was told that it was 2 months wait to even get an appt... my friend who had gotten the bypass surgery said to see if becoming a vegan would help because he had read essylstein's book.. i went vegan and after 2 weeks i noticed that i could walk about 50 yards farther before the onset of pain... this meant that the blockage was slowly getting better.