News The Hidden Biases That Drive Anti-Vegan Hatred

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

At first, I thought this was going to just be knock off of the other vegan hate articles. (See below)

But by the middle, I thought this author although not breaking new ground had made this into a good article to read.
anyway, check it out and let us know what you think.

A couple of the highlights

If you bring your cod and chips home to eat in front of your beloved goldfish, or tuck into a rabbit stew mere moments after cooing over various #rabbitsofinstagram, you’re likely to encounter “cognitive dissonance”, which occurs when a person holds two incompatible views, and acts on one of them. In this case, your affection for animals might just start to clash with the idea that it’s OK to eat them.​
Some psychologists call this the “meat paradox”, though it’s also been couched in stronger terms – as “moral schizophrenia”.​
In the case of eating meat, Rothgerber suggests we have a number of strategies – around 15 – which allow us to avoid facing up to the meat paradox......​
Unfortunately, most of these are derailed by the presence of vegans.​
By their mere existence, vegans force people to confront their cognitive dissonance. And this makes people angry.​

----------------------------------------------------

1. Similar articles

"So the next time a squirrel-eating activist hits the headlines, just think: deep, deep down, they might actually be an animal-lover, going to elaborate lengths to cover it up. "

I wonder how much that means that sv3ridge loves animals deep down inside ;) . Sorry I brought that name up. Great article, and I am so glad we are seeing more of these sorts of pieces in the more mainstream editorials.

I need to come out of the closet. I am not an animal lover. I like other people's animals. But, I do not want to be a life long companion of a dog or a pig. I like tiny doses of fury friends. I am all for an animal cuddling up with me. A warm fuzzy animal on a cold day is great. I sometimes also like looking at animals from a distance. But, otherwise, I would rather not be around animals.

I prefer cuddling with my wife and sons. A pig would probably prefer cuddling with his/her own family members. Still, if I was lonely the pig might cuddle me.

I have no respect for the dog who snitched on me to my mother. Maybe I was feeling a little sick. But, Mom did not need to know. That same dog also strict rules about my behavior. In particular, I could only go to places that were safe for a little kid.

I also do not even want to be around a dead animal on my dining room table. It seems just plain unsanitary.

Maybe my veganism is a sign that I do not want to be around animals very often.

I need to come out of the closet. I am not an animal lover. I like other people's animals. But, I do not want to be a life long companion of a dog or a pig. I like tiny doses of fury friends. I am all for an animal cuddling up with me. A warm fuzzy animal on a cold day is great. I sometimes also like looking at animals from a distance. But, otherwise, I would rather not be around animals.

Respecting another being's space is a form of "love" in a way; it shows a mutual understanding and respect.

I prefer cuddling with my wife and sons. A pig would probably prefer cuddling with his/her own family members. Still, if I was lonely the pig might cuddle me.

I have no respect for the dog who snitched on me to my mother. Maybe I was feeling a little sick. But, Mom did not need to know. That same dog also strict rules about my behavior. In particular, I could only go to places that were safe for a little kid.

I also do not even want to be around a dead animal on my dining room table. It seems just plain unsanitary.

Maybe my veganism is a sign that I do not want to be around animals very often.
I think that's totally fine. I think it was James Aspey who said that when he decided to go vegan, he really wasn't that into animals/pets that much. But he respected them enough to understand that doesn't mean that they need to be abused or exploited. I can appreciate that. I don't think it's necessary to be an "animal lover." I mean, we don't love all of our neighbors, but we respect them enough to support their right to live their own lives, free from harm.

I honestly think that animals got noting to do with it. Vegans are different. An average peasant hates anyone different, be it vegans, Jews or mathematicians. It's even more infuriating that vegans are mindful about their daily actions and more educated.

PS. This said, other vegans is the most annoying part of being vegan :D