Whatcha eating WFPB?

I was brought up having tahini (and dishes with tahini as a key ingredient, like hummus) as a regular item in my day-to-day diet - so I am very much used to its flavour and I like it. But I do understand that people that are not used to it might find it strong in taste/bitter - the trick there is to mix it well so that its bitterness is 'diluted' or 'hidden' as it were, or to balance it out with other flavours.

Yesterday I had whole wheat pasta with a hearty tomato & vegetable sauce, plus another serving of the creamy chickpea salad I had the day before. For dessert: another serving of my mashed banana mix (with nuts, dates, dried berries, cinnamon and a sprinkle of tahini).

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Yesterday I had another serving of whole-wheat pasta, with a hearty vegetable & tomato sauce, plus dijon mustard; I sprinkled the salad with some fresh leafy greens.

For dessert, I had one persimmon, and a 'mashed banana mix' (with pomegranate arils, cashew nuts, dried berries, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and a sprinkle of tahini) - see photo below.
[Note: if you are not used to the tahini flavour, you can easily replace tahini with a nut butter - I have tried the mashed banana mix with almond butter and it is delicious too]

All very good.

1707792367386.jpeg

[Note: if you are not used to the tahini flavour, you can easily replace tahini with a nut butter - I have tried the mashed banana mix with almond butter and it is delicious too]
I read that the other day about putting peanut butter in houmous rather than tahini. I can't imagine what that would taste like.

I did see a YouTuber I follow eating peanut butter and garlic on toast while he is in India. I can't imagine those flavours together either.

I read that the other day about putting peanut butter in houmous rather than tahini. I can't imagine what that would taste like.

I did see a YouTuber I follow eating peanut butter and garlic on toast while he is in India. I can't imagine those flavours together either.

we often have peanut butter noodles and there is definitely a whack of garlic in those and they are delicious - hadn't thought of mixing the flavours together on toast yet it wouldn't be the worst idea I don't think - hmmmm garlic for breakfast, nope...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Haha
Reactions: Mazen and Raven
we often have peanut butter noodles and there is definitely a whack of garlic in those and they are delicious - hadn't thought of mixing the flavours together on toast yet it wouldn't be the worst idea I don't think - hmmmm garlic for breakfast, nope...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
:D I think that might good to do as part of a breakfast for dinner.

I had soy curls paprikash and an apple for WFPB foods today.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Mazen

I also dislike tahini and I tried peanut butter :hurl:. I thought it would be okay!
I really like sesame seeds, but hate tahini and sesame oil

I do peanut butter and garlic, usually with other things in a sauce, but I don't think I'd like them on toast. I don't like PB on toast though

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC

Interesting, but just to clarify my previous post - I suggested peanut butter to replace tahini only for the dessert dish I had - the 'mashed banana mix' (mashed banana with nuts, dates, dried berries, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes, plus a creamy 'binding' ingredient - hence the tahini or peanut butter option) - I did not mean to say that peanut butter can always replace tahini/ all the time. I cannot imagine the flavour of hummus with peanut butter rather than tahini either - it would indeed be an 'interesting' culinary experiment (the same goes for the garlic peanut butter toast) : -)

I grew up having tahini so I very much like it...but I understand people that are not used to its flavour and don't like it - this is the thing with palates and taste buds - they are creatures of habits as well... :)

• Friendly
Yesterday I cooked barley (which has definitely entered my list of favourite whole grains and white-rice replacements), with green peas, corn, chickpeas; plus I made a pot of fava beans (I love all legumes, but fava beans are on top of the list, side by side with chickpeas). I added some leafy greens and fresh tomato slices on top of the barley-fava dish- and sprinkled some chopped red chillies and dijon mustard; avocado pieces on the side. It was very nice and filling (photo below).

For dessert: I had my mashed banana mix (with nuts, dried berries, dates, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and a sprinkle of tahini). Very nice

Plus: yesterday a neighbor gifted me some chocolate-filled cookies - they were plant-based, but not whole-food. I had two or three (small cookies) - so I went a little bit off track yesterday. I will share the remaining cookies with others :)

1707883304479.jpeg

That is strange as I really like sesame oil, but not tahini. I don't like food with bitter favours, some Greek food I don't like, stuffed vine leaves/dolmades. That weird bitter taste. I sometimes can't stand olives either, or capers.

I have ordered Sabra houmous in the shopping which I really love, but that does have tahini in it, but I can't taste it at all.:iiam:

We are having a Valentine's meal at home later with a new vegan steak so I am going to eat very light until then. I'm going to have a green smoothie and an orange and pineapple smoothie.

Yesterday I had a couple of servings of barley with veggies and fava beans. Plus a baked baby potato on the side. I spread some Dijon mustard and vegetable 'chutney' (gifted by a friend) on top of the barley-fava mix and the potato.

For dessert: mashed banana mix (with walnuts, dried berries, dates, cinnamon, coconut flakes and a sprinkle of tahini); plus a mandarin.

All nice.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Yesterday I had leftover barley + veggies + fava beans + a couple of baby potatoes. With some leafy greens, Dijon mustard, sumac and chilly flakes mixed in.

For dessert: dried berries, nuts & dates sprinkled with cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and a little tahini.

All good.

Vegetable soup with whole grain bread; a few pickled peppers and stuffed green olives on the side.
For dessert: 'Mashed banana mix' (with nuts, dates, dried berries, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and tahini). Plus: a small piece of sugar-free granola bar (with nuts and dried fruits). All good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC