1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 cup red lentils
1/2 cup dry quinoa
5 cups water
26.5 oz box of chopped tomatoes
2 cups chopped kale, tough stems removed

Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onions, carrots, and celery until tender, about 8 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and sauté another minute, just until fragrant. Add in the cumin, ginger, turmeric, salt, lentils, quinoa, water, and tomatoes and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and cover the pot to let everything simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.

I found this recipe from here: https://detoxinista.com/lentil-kale-quinoa-stew-vegan/
I thought that it had to be shared, it can be a life saver for those who are still learning how to cook. Usually, I eat almost always the same foods, but I have got some lentils and quinoa in my pantry... So last friday, I thought to give it a try. And the lentil stew turned out to be delicious.
Take into consideration, that you'll need a huge pot. I had to almost half the amount of water, because mine was way too small... But surprisingly, it tuned out just fine, the lentils were tender and the quinoa was just right.
I didn't have kale, so I just used some frozen spinach, and instead of carrots and cellery, I used frozen soup vegetables. Re-heating spinach can lead to food poisoning, if it hasn't been cleaned properly, so be cautious of that. To be sure, you can just add the frozen spinach to one serving at a time, instead of adding it while preparing.
Also, read the packaging of the quinoa, it tells you to rinse the quinoa well with boiling water before preparing it.

The recipe doesn't mention when to add the kale, but I don't think that matters much... Does any of you know if it matters?
And if you're using frozen vegetables, like I did (instead of the carrots and cellery), I think it would be best to add those during the last 10 or so minutes, but maybe it depends on what kind of frozen vegetables you use. The package has instructions.

I had large quantities of leftovers, some of which I used as a pasta sauce. I didn't have tomato purée, so just added some ketchup and oregano on top of the spaghetti and mixed in some hot lentil stew. You propably won't believe me, but it tasted amazingly good.
Still have some leftovers for tomorrow, then, it will be gone. I have to prepare more next week..

Go check the page. I haven't yet, but since this recipe was worth it, I wonder what else that site has to offer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ger and Lou