Am I missing anything crucial nutrient wise!?

Eemiia

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi all
I have been a lifelong veggie (parents) and transitioned to vegan just over a year ago.
I am not a foodie at all (bland eater like same things etc) I eat because I have to to live vs enjoy food.
I do care a lot about my health (I don't smoke or drink Alchol at all) and I'm fairly active (don't go gym but always out walking /biking and exploring). I am very very fussy about what I will eat and try where possible to avoid processed foods.

So, I've finally settled on a vegan diet im content with (I eat same thing every week :D) but I really have this burning question in back of my head like... Am I actually healthy and getting what I need!?!? Or is something missing... So... I thought there will be experts on here so please let me know if I have any blaring obvious missing nutrients. My avg week is as follows....

Morning - I don't like breakfast. I drink an orange multivitamin each morning with zinc and vit c. I take a vit d tablet and a vegan multivitamin every day. I drink coffee and oat milk and usually a glass of fresh fruit juice.

Lunch - I have plant based Yogurt mixed with a cup of raw rolled oats, a handful of walnuts, almonds, pecan nuts, a handful of either raspberry strawberry or blueberrys.

Dinners I rotate each day of week to include :
- chilli (tomatoes, peppers, powder, bean mix, cauli, broc, chili's, onions, garlic, nachos and dip of vegan mayo)
- curry (usually chickpeas, peppers, a shop sauce, broc, cauli, onion, chilli, garlic, naan and poppadom, and mango chut)
- rice bowl (white rice currently but transitioning to brown mixed with butter, broc, cauli, onion, pepper, any veg that's left over and sometimes with a shop garlic bread)
-jacket potato with baked beans
-pasta with shop sauce (no veg don't like it in pasta!) and garlic bread. Pastas currently white transitioning to brown
-katsu sauce with pumpkin bites and coconut milk and rice.
-quinoa with fried asparagus and salad
-frozen veggie burger with chips :D (naughty one! )

Throughout the day I drink lots of coffee (, too much!) with oat milk sweetened.
I also drink several bottles of water in my refill bottle. Occasionally I have a non alcoholic beer.

I don't really snack much. If I do its usually on crisps or sweets like normal people.

Am I missing any vital nutrients I am trying to be healthy but don't know about iron / fats / protein /b12 etc etc

Any advice appreciated please on if I have any gaps x

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
That doesn't sound bland to me at all! Looks really good to me, both healthy and quite tasty
But.....a CUP of raw oats! DId you really mean a whole cup? 😳 I used to eat raw oats in soy yogurt,, but I could never eat a cup

Have you looked to Dr Greger of nutritionfacts? His daily dozen way of eating for full nutrition?
All I can see I'd add is more beans, lentils, tofu

Everyone who knows me here knows how I'm going to answer this.
... every newbie who drops by hears about CronOmeter from me.

Its a website and an app.

It's basically a calculator that calculates macro and micronutrients for you.
What you do is, input the food you eat and then it does all the math. it even makes color coded bar graphs and pie charts.

There is a little bit of a learning curve but they have a manual, help forums, and FAQs. All online.
Plus if you have any problems you can ask me.

There is also a bit of a first time set up but you don't have to worry too much about that - the defaults work pretty good for most people. But is infinitely adjustable for the people who need that.

After you have used it for about a week - it takes only about 5 minutes day. or maybe less. There is an app that goes with it and you can just input the data as you eat or cook. But I like to do everything on my computer at the end of the day.

if you eat mostly the same you can probably stop using it in a week or two.

as you get used to it - there are lots of shortcuts that can save you time.

There is more I could say but I've said most of it before. right here.

One other thing for right now.
All vegans need to supplement B12. either with B12 fortified foods or with a supplement.
we discuss that in several places on this forum.

but in a nutshell:
  • At least 2,500 mcg (µg) cyanocobalamin once each week, ideally as a chewable, sublingual, or liquid supplement taken on an empty stomach
    • or at least 50 mcg daily of supplemental cyanocobalamin (you needn’t worry about taking too much)
    • or servings of B12-fortified foods three times daily (at each meal), each containing at least 190% of the Daily Value listed on the nutrition facts label (based on the new labeling mandated to start January 1, 2020—the target is 4.5 mcg three times a day).
There may be other supplements that you might need. A lot of vegans supplement omega, iron, calcium, Magnesium. But you can check to see what you need once you finish your first week in CronOmeter.

What you do is, input the food you eat and then it does all the math. it even makes color coded bar graphs and pie charts.

There is a little bit of a learning curve but they have a manual, help forums, and FAQs. All online.

There is also a bit of a first time set up but you don't have to worry too much about that - the defaults work pretty good for most people. But is infinitely adjustable for the people who need that.

After you have used it for about a week - it takes only about 5 minutes day. or maybe less. There is an app that goes with it and you can just input the data as you eat or cook. But I like to do everything on my computer at the end of the day.

All vegans need to supplement B12. either with B12 fortified foods or with a supplement.

but in a nutshell:
  • At least 2,500 mcg (µg) cyanocobalamin once each week, ideally as a chewable, sublingual, or liquid supplement taken on an empty stomach
    • or at least 50 mcg daily of supplemental cyanocobalamin (you needn’t worry about taking too much)
    • or servings of B12-fortified foods three times daily (at each meal), each containing at least 190% of the Daily Value listed on the nutrition facts label (based on the new labeling mandated to start January 1, 2020—the target is 4.5 mcg three times a day).
There may be other supplements that you might need. A lot of vegans supplement omega, iron, calcium, Magnesium. But you can check to see what you need once you finish your first week in CronOmeter.
Thank you so much!

• Friendly
That doesn't sound bland to me at all! Looks really good to me, both healthy and quite tasty
But.....a CUP of raw oats! DId you really mean a whole cup? 😳 I used to eat raw oats in soy yogurt,, but I could never eat a cup

Have you looked to Dr Greger of nutritionfacts? His daily dozen way of eating for full nutrition?
All I can see I'd add is more beans, lentils, tofu

Haha sorry no not a cup.. It's like a measuring cup like 50ml!! I agree i need to try and get along with lentils and tofu I just don't really like them so need to try and find a recipe where I can hide them

I agree i need to try and get along with lentils and tofu I just don't really like them so need to try and find a recipe where I can hide them
nah. if you don't like them you don't like them. They are just legumes and you already include many other legumes in your diet.
But exploring recipes is half the fun of being vegan. Check out our recipes sections.
I really like Lentil Mushroom Stew over Mashed Potatoes,

Reactions: Eemiia
Haha sorry no not a cup.. It's like a measuring cup like 50ml!! I agree i need to try and get along with lentils and tofu I just don't really like them so need to try and find a recipe where I can hide them

one of the best ways to "hide" lentils is to put them in a soup/stew/stoup and once all the veggies and the lentils are cooked then take a submersion blender or actual blender to it and make it all creamy - the lentils disappear and you are left with a wonderful soup that you can scoop up anyway you like or put over rice etc

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Well, you consume a lot of starches, not a lot of beans, very few vegetables/salads/greens, very little fruit.
But you like all of us eat what you enjoy. Chronometer and a blood test from a qualified nutritionist or
dietician would really help. None of us are qualified to take that place. But, my guess is that you are low in
potassium, magnesium, iodine, vitamin D, and perhaps zinc. cheers.

wellcome😊 you could have a B12 and a Iron check next time you are at the Dr

Well, you consume a lot of starches, not a lot of beans, very few vegetables/salads/greens, very little fruit.
But you like all of us eat what you enjoy. Chronometer and a blood test from a qualified nutritionist or
dietician would really help. None of us are qualified to take that place. But, my guess is that you are low in
potassium, magnesium, iodine, vitamin D, and perhaps zinc.

one of the best ways to "hide" lentils is to put them in a soup/stew/stoup and once all the veggies and the lentils are cooked then take a submersion blender or actual blender to it and make it all creamy - the lentils disappear and you are left with a wonderful soup that you can scoop up anyway you like or put over rice etc

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
It's a fab idea thank you x

but in a nutshell:
I have started this app today and ordered some blood sample kits too. This app is fab, ironically I put in my multivitamin and pretty much everything bar protein went to 100% however id rather get my nutrients naturally through food so I'm going to track an average week on this

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I LOVE lentils and beans, but am not a fan of tofu. I like tempeh partly because it is fermented (and I believe, healthier than tofu).
You can soak brown lentils in water for 8 hours. Put in a collander and rinse. Let sit in the sink for another 12-24 hours, rinse one
or two times during that time. You can eat the lentil sprouts, raw, or cook and have more nutrition from the sprouting process..

Reactions: Lou
I have started this app today and ordered some blood sample kits too. This app is fab, ironically I put in my multivitamin and pretty much everything bar protein went to 100% however id rather get my nutrients naturally through food so I'm going to track an average week on this
What kind of blood sample kits?

For a lot of vitamins and minerals you don't have to worry about getting too much. But there are a few that you don't want to go to far over 100%. and you know what? CronOmeter knows which ones those are and will shade those in red if you are getting too much.
Vitamin A is something to keep an eye on. Mg and K, too.
Maybe Calcium and iron.
Those guys are not water soluble and could build up to toxic levels.

All I take is a tiny tablet, B12, D, and Omega.

There is a vegan brand of vitamins called DEVA. They make a vitamin and mineral supplement called Tiny Tablets. They are pretty much the minimalist approach to vitamin and mineral supplements. If you are getting most of your V&M naturally, these little guys make a lot of sense. They are also really inexpensive, like 4¢ a day.

What kind of blood sample kits?

For a lot of vitamins and minerals you don't have to worry about getting too much. But there are a few that you don't want to go to far over 100%. and you know what? CronOmeter knows which ones those are and will shade those in red if you are getting too much.
Vitamin A is something to keep an eye on. Mg and K, too.
Maybe Calcium and iron.
Those guys are not water soluble and could build up to toxic levels.

All I take is a tiny tablet, B12, D, and Omega.

There is a vegan brand of vitamins called DEVA. They make a vitamin and mineral supplement called Tiny Tablets. They are pretty much the minimalist approach to vitamin and mineral supplements. If you are getting most of your V&M naturally, these little guys make a lot of sense. They are also really inexpensive, like 4¢ a day.
I also take vegan DHA called IWI...they do make omega 3 also, even a mix...

I also take vegan DHA called IWI...they do make omega 3 also, even a mix...
I think I'm overdosing on some minerals looking at the composition of my vegan tablets and my drink. I don't think I need all three
I'm over 300% on vit c every day I should probabsly stop taking the other two
I don't know what 4 c is hahaha but I'm assuming cent so perhaps like what a few pounds in UK!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_092103_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_092103_com.cronometer.android.gold.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240107_092106.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_092106.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 0
I hadn't heard of that company. I've been using Vegan Omega 3 by a company called sapling.

but.. what kind of blood sample kits?
I have ordered a numan 'be brave' full blood works in the UK (not sure if this is actually American thread :D)