Whatcha eating WFPB?

I finally found a bag of the mung beans so I will try making something next week - I may start with French toast as that sounds appealing.

Can you use the mixture in place of egg in say a cake or cookies do you think?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Not sure about using it in baking. I think it has kind of an earthy flavor that might not blend well with a cake or cookies.

Although the Just Egg website says it works in a wide variety of baking applications, with a few exceptions, such as light, airy cakes and meringues.”It also says their product can be used as a 1:1 substitution for regular egg in a recipe—so about 3 tablespoons of Just Egg is equal to one large egg.

Just Egg is made with mung beans, so maybe the homemade version would work in quick breads.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Mazen
Not sure about using it in baking. I think it has kind of an earthy flavor that might not blend well with a cake or cookies.

Although the Just Egg website says it works in a wide variety of baking applications, with a few exceptions, such as light, airy cakes and meringues.”It also says their product can be used as a 1:1 substitution for regular egg in a recipe—so about 3 tablespoons of Just Egg is equal to one large egg.

Just Egg is made with mung beans, so maybe the homemade version would work in quick breads.
Did you get moong beans, or moong dahl--the split, deskinned moong beans?
I first tried the 'egg' with the whole beans blended --and yuck. then tried the moong dahl and it was better
Still wouldn't use for baked goods 😝

• Friendly
Reactions: Mazen and Emma JC
Yesterday I had another large 'hearty' salad - with leafy greens, potatoes, carrots, assorted beans, whole grains (buckwheat), crushed cashew nuts, raisins and dried barberries. I dressed the salad with apple cider vinegar, whole blended lemons, mustard, tahini and nutritional yeast... it was nice.

For dessert: I had my traditional 'Mashed banana mix' - which included nuts, dried berries, dates, dried coconut flakes, cinnamon, a sprinkle of tahini and soy milk. Very nice.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Oatmeal banana bake, orange
Frozen mango
Saag Dal
Spinach, lettuce, olives, carrots and onions
Tofu (though it's marinated to mimic feta, so there is a bit of olive oil in it).

Reactions: Mazen and Emma JC
I first tried the 'egg' with the whole beans blended --and yuck. then tried the moong dahl and it was better

I purchased the split ones - yeah whole ones would be yuck.

I will try it in the mixture in a cake mix and let you know.

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Mazen
I purchased the split ones - yeah whole ones would be yuck.

I will try it in the mixture in a cake mix and let you know.

Emma JC
I guess something like a spice cake, or a quickbread would work. I guess like a 1/4 cup per egg? I've used blended tofu so why not!

I guess something like a spice cake, or a quickbread would work. I guess like a 1/4 cup per egg? I've used blended tofu so why not!

for the Just Egg liquid you use 3 tablespoons per egg required so that is pretty close to 1/4 cup I think - it would depend on how thick it is and it could be watered to the same consistency - hmmm maybe you could also freeze it in ice cube trays (1 tbsp per) and when you need an egg or two just thaw out the equivalent number of cubes - kinda like I do with pesto, which I freeze in cubes then put in a ziploc and take out what I need when I need it

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Mazen
The day before yesterday I had 'vegetable '(quinoa) biryani' , topped with some beans and fresh leafy greens. For dessert: my ' mashed banana mix' (with dried berries, dried figs, dates, nuts, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes, some soy milk, a little vanilla and a sprinkle of tahini). All very good

Yesterday - I made my own vegetable broth with vegetable scraps/leftovers; and then used it to cook farro; besides condiments, I added some green beans, corn & green peas (from a frozen package), sundried tomatoes, chilly flakes and pine nuts to the farro while it was cooking. It turned out to be close to a 'vegetable (farro) biryani'. I had it with mixed beans and leafy greens sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and chilly flakes. Very nice. For dessert: 'mashed banana mix' - I used the same ingredients I used the day before yesterday, but without the dried figs.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I believe it was the split, de-skinned ones. They looked like lentils almost, only they were yellow.

Reactions: Emma JC and Mazen
👍 I was just mentioning it in parenthesis for the purposes of this thread because it's not a whole food or anything. :) I do enjoy olive oil in cooking and salad dressing.

Today I have had an orange, peanut butter and banana and a salad with marinated tofu, spinach, lettuce, red onions, and kalamata olives with a drizzle or two of red wine vinegar. I'm having bulgur ratatouille for dinner that my mom got from a local market. It's pretty tasty. I think I need more bulgur in my life.

Reactions: Mazen
Vegetable (farro) 'biryani' , topped up with chickpeas.
For dessert: 'mashed banana mix', with dried figs (soaked overnight), cashew nuts, dried berries, dates, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes, soy milk and a sprinkle of tahini. All nice

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Yesterday, for dinner, I had a 'large salad as main dish' - it had assorted leafy greens, boiled carrots, baby potatoes, chickpeas, farro, cooked green beans, green peas and corn, herbs, spring onions, chilli flakes and a little bit of dried, very thin, noodles (the latter was the only non-WF item among the main salad ingredients, but it was very small in quantity).

I used my usual dressing (which I very much like) - balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, tahini, whole blended lemon and nutritional yeast.

For dessert: I had my usual 'mashed banana mix', which included dried berries, nuts, dates, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and a sprinkle of tahini.

All nice.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm trying to have a smoothie a day. Today was banana, orange and lemon.
I need to try more citrus in my smoothies. Today I'm having a smoothie with almond milk, banana, blueberries, peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, protein powder and spinach.

Also: bulgar ratatouille; a burrito bowl with several WFPB ingredients, including marinated tofu, avocado, black beans, rice, edamame, onions, lettuce and corn.

Yesterday I had another serving of vegetable (farro) 'biryani', topped up with chickpeas, with a sprinkle of dijon mustard and tahini.

On the side, I also had a vegan 'creamy chickpea' salad - besides the chickpeas, it had green beans, carrots, green peas and corn; with a creamy dressing (made with four ingredients: dijon mustard, tahini, whole blended lemons and nutritional yeast).

For dessert: I had my mashed banana mix (with nuts, dates, dried berries, cinnamon, dried coconut flakes and another sprinkle of tahini), plus: a few dates filled with almonds.

All dishes were very nice.

^ I wish I liked tahini! I can't stand the bitter flavour.

I am going to have a pineapple and orange smoothie today.

Have you tried different brands? I know what you mean when you talk "bitter flavor" as I'm sensitive to this. It depends on the brand though.
No, I bought it once and never again. Years ago, actually. 2006, when I first went vegan.

I know I must have tahini in other things and not notice the bitterness. I sometimes can't stand houmous and I know that is the reason why.

• Friendly