What did you have for lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally stumbled upon a new cheap "go to" dish. I had this packet of ramen from the college food pantry which had chicken soup flavoring (eww) but it was free, and I just tossed out the animal product packet, and boiled the plain noodles in water. While I was doing that, I browned chickpeas in a bit of canola oil to give them texture and richer flavor. When the noodles were soft, I drained them and added them to the browned chickpeas, as well as a can of (drained) green beans. I sauteed all three in some tamari until completely mixed, then finally topped with sweet ginger chili sauce and stirred until warmed.

So simple, so affordable (literally canned goods, cheap ramen, and condiments - the most expensive thing is the sweet ginger chili sauce which I actually bought to dip samosas or spring rolls in). Not only that but the dish is really delicious, and makes a huge amount. Two generous servings or three moderate servings.

This is very like my fav lunch which you all have seen a bunch of times, I just use canned lentils instead of chick peas (1/2 can) rinsed in a sieve, on the stove either soft udon noodles or dry ones (occasionally a ramen type), and brussel sprouts instead of green beans. Recently I have been adding frozen kale and wakame to the boiling water also. Pour it over the lentils in the sieve then into the bowl and then dress it up with tamari, rice vinegar, lemon juice, sweet chili and a drizzle of tahini. I usually also add a 1/4 teaspoon of dry Keene's mustard as that is supposed to bring out the sulforaphane in the frozen brussels sprouts. Inexpensive, simple and quick.

Emma JC

I had some of those cold cuts that are like seitan. So I heated them up (I didn't do that last time). Put 4 slices on a toasted french roll with vegan aioli, ketchup, tomato slice, and lettuce. It was really good. had a small serving of baked beans and corn on the side.

This is very like my fav lunch which you all have seen a bunch of times, I just use canned lentils instead of chick peas (1/2 can) rinsed in a sieve, on the stove either soft udon noodles or dry ones (occasionally a ramen type), and brussel sprouts instead of green beans. Recently I have been adding frozen kale and wakame to the boiling water also. Pour it over the lentils in the sieve then into the bowl and then dress it up with tamari, rice vinegar, lemon juice, sweet chili and a drizzle of tahini. I usually also add a 1/4 teaspoon of dry Keene's mustard as that is supposed to bring out the sulforaphane in the frozen brussels sprouts. Inexpensive, simple and quick.

Emma JC

I do something similar but I use frozen peas.

Brunch (no breakfast today) was brown basmati rice, borlotti beans, hash browns, cabbage, carrot, onions and mushrooms. Spiced with salt, pepper, cumin, sage and rosemary.

I followed up with a sweet drink of water, ginger, banana/tahini milk, and raw sugar.

Grated carrot salad with sunflower, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, vinaigrette/yeast flakes.
Leftover smokey aubergine & chickpea stew with quinoa.
A persimmon.

You have amazing lunches.... a handful of nuts, pretzels and shreddies for me lol

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Brunch today was whole wheat sandwiches: Whole wheat bread stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, borlotti beans, tomato slices, cucumber slices, purple onion and salt.

Our brunch yesterday was so filling that we didn't have any dinner.

Breakfast beans on toast, Ikea potato pancakes, Field Roast apple/sage sausages.

Emma JC

I tore up some kale, microwaved a minute, added some precooked garbanzos, rice and a drizzle of an Asian orange style salad dressing I'd bought at Aldi

Reactions: KLS52 and Qwaychou
Status
Not open for further replies.