Literature What are you currently reading?

I had a friend that was a HUGE Jack Reacher fan. He owned all the books and lent them to me one at a time and in order. For a while I got tired of them but after a while I ended up back at the well. But I haven't read anything after #21, Night School. I do recommend that you try to read them in order. The first ones are so old and popular - should. be easy to find at the library.

My buddy hated that Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher and never watched the films. I did and I like them but I really really liked the new TV series.

His early books rely, IMHO, too much on coincidence. But if you can forgive that they are enjoyable page turners.
I read that Tom Cruise was in the movies. I don't picture Reacher as Tom Cruise at all just from this one book. He is described as a BIG man and Cruise is not. LOL

Finished a book called "No Plan B" by Lee Child and Andrew Child (who is the younger brother). This is the newest in the Jack Reacher series and the first one I have ever read. At least I don't remember any others. It's a decent crime thriller and Jack Reacher is a kind of "anti-hero hero" as he pretty much does whatever needed and doesn't care about consequences. I will probably find others in the series because I did enjoy this one.

Thank you for the heads up - I have put a hold on it online and it says about 4 weeks.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Finished another of the books given to me. This one is "Since We Fell" by Dennis Lehane. It is the story of Rachel, a woman who had a very successful career as a journalist, traveling the world into dangerous situations. Then she goes through horrible trauma on the job and has a breakdown on TV and gets a divorce. She becomes a "shut in" as she describes herself until Brian comes into her life. He helps her rebuild her life and is the perfect husband.... or is he? This is a thriller with twists and turns and sucks you in. I have never read any of this author's books and will look for more. Great writing and character development.

Finished another of the books given to me. This one is "Since We Fell" by Dennis Lehane. It is the story of Rachel, a woman who had a very successful career as a journalist, traveling the world into dangerous situations. Then she goes through horrible trauma on the job and has a breakdown on TV and gets a divorce. She becomes a "shut in" as she describes herself until Brian comes into her life. He helps her rebuild her life and is the perfect husband.... or is he? This is a thriller with twists and turns and sucks you in. I have never read any of this author's books and will look for more. Great writing and character development.
I looked that up on Amazon just now and bought it for my kindle. It sounded good.:)

I read that Tom Cruise was in the movies. I don't picture Reacher as Tom Cruise at all just from this one book. He is described as a BIG man and Cruise is not. LOL
I don't know how he got cast in that role after watching the new TV show and seeing what the character was meant to be like physically.

It came up on my local news that Tom Cruise has been seen in a town about 10 miles from me.

Tom Cruise lands in a black chopper in industrial town of Basildon, Essex, England to film Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 2 | English Movie News - Times of India

A Vineyard Morning. Book three in the Vineyard series by Jean Stone.

It's ok. The narrator is kind of ruining it for me but it's just interesting enough to keep me finishing the series. No real romance, 100% G rated. A teeny bit of mystery which I usually hate but it's very light so it works.

I don't know how authors choose narrators for their books. They can make or break an audio book. I can thoroughly enjoy a mediocre book when the narrator is good and then quit listening to something that may be written really well with a good story if the narrator is bad. Authors should pay more attention.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Sometimes I forget to listen to the sample in audible. And hoopla doesn't even have that option.

I did listen to something different for me...the whiteout series by flint maxwell. I loved the first two books...kind of walking dead style story. But then I got a little bored. I think the story started to go downhill as it went on. The author probably would have done better ending it sooner.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Finished another book today! "The Match" by Harlan Coben. Several of his other books have been made into Netflix series but of course I have never seen any. I may have read a book by him as his name seems familiar but I read so many, I can't remember. This is a very timely thriller that deals with reality TV, DNA ancestry sites, and the search for lost identity. The main character is Wilde, a man who is searching for his birth parents. He was found as a very young child in the woods and has few memories of his early life. He was raised in foster care and one of his best friends is a fellow foster care kid. He was in the military for a while but then became somewhat of a hermit and lives off the grid (mostly) and has few friends. He decides to do a DNA search and finds a match on a DNA site and a strange tale begins to unfold. Fascinating characters and a really twisty plot. Lots of stuff about reality TV and the players in that game. And murder of course!

Finished another book today! "The Match" by Harlan Coben. Several of his other books have been made into Netflix series but of course I have never seen any. I may have read a book by him as his name seems familiar but I read so many, I can't remember. This is a very timely thriller that deals with reality TV, DNA ancestry sites, and the search for lost identity. The main character is Wilde, a man who is searching for his birth parents. He was found as a very young child in the woods and has few memories of his early life. He was raised in foster care and one of his best friends is a fellow foster care kid. He was in the military for a while but then became somewhat of a hermit and lives off the grid (mostly) and has few friends. He decides to do a DNA search and finds a match on a DNA site and a strange tale begins to unfold. Fascinating characters and a really twisty plot. Lots of stuff about reality TV and the players in that game. And murder of course!
That is on my list. I love Harlan Coben. The first book I read of his was Tell No One. I couldn't put it down.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Over 20 years ago I read Parable For The Talents by Octavia Butler because it won a bunch of awards.
However I wasn't that impressed with it. So I ended up never reading another one of her books.

Just recently I learned that she was the first (and only?) Black woman to gain popularity and critical acclaim as a major science fiction writer.

Coincidentally, Hoopla was promoting some of her works so I download the audiobook Kindred. And I really like it. Now I'm going to have to go back and read some more of her works.

I really liked her „Patternmaster“ series and would suggest to you giving it a try.

Finished a book called "No Plan B" by Lee Child and Andrew Child (who is the younger brother). This is the newest in the Jack Reacher series and the first one I have ever read.
Why didn’t you start with he first book in the series?

If you like this one, and then start to read the older ones, you might have spoilers now…

Reactions: Lou
I like Dennis Lehane a lot.

Read „The Given Day“ set in 1919 Boston, and, of course, „Shutter Island“.
Just looked up his books and realized he also wrote „Mystic River“, which I also enjoyed a lot as movie.
Thanks for reminding me of him again, haven’t read any of his books for some time.

Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
This one’s likely interesting for @Lou

Just read the first 12 books in the „Starship’s Mage“ series and found them to be fun, light, „Guilty pleasures“ to entertain me.

I read the first book, and while it did not totally convince me, it was a nice page-turner with an interesting premise … in the future, faster-than-light travel is possible through literal *magic* by a small group of people who have different magical capabilities.

As I still found the book entertaining, I signed up for Amazon‘s „Kindle Unlimited“ program that allows free access to a subset of their books (which this series is a part of) for € 9,99 per month, and read the next 11 books in the series (each individually priced around € 4,99) in the two weeks since then… and, even better, book 13 in the series is scheduled to come out next week. Not sure if I will continue the „Kindle Unlimited“ access after that, as I had not, in the past, found many books that were part of it that interested me.

Also have started Kurt Vonnegut‘s „Player Piano“ , which is, while quite different, as it was already written 70 years ago, a very enjoyable read.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lou