Eating flax seeds raw OK?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Eating flax seeds raw OK?

I found all sorts of (contradictory) information about flax seeds about eating flax seeds raw or not. Some say you can, no problem, others say you shouldn't (not harmful for adults - but for children?), you may not (e.g. because of the hydrocyanic acid or so). Some say only up to 5 g (!) per day, others (Federal Institute for Risk Assessment) say up to 20 g (Flaxseeds can be contaminated with harmful cadmium. They also contain cyanogenic glycosides), others say you can bake bread by using 200 g flax seeds or more (so one by far would eat more than 5 g).

So you can actually find the information (as is at least often the case on the Internet) that you like best.

What is right?

Do uncrushed flaxseeds ALWAYS have to be shredded/crushed so that the nutrients can be absorbed (fully>)? So soaking alone doesn’t help (just like it is with chia)?

Last edited:
the bulk store that I shop at sells ground flax and keeps it in the fridge so it stays fresh - it is very inexpensive and I also grind whole ones in a bullet with the flat blade

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
No.

Flaxseeds need to be ground or they will not digest.

Research has shown that uncrushed flaxeeds will pass through the human digestive tract untouched.

You can crush flax seeds in a cheapo $30 coffee grinder.
I used to use my old coffee grinder to grind flax seeds. But lately I have been finding ground flax seeds in the supermarket. My supermarket has a Bobs Red Mill end area with them in it. I buy the bag and keep in in the freezer. I make up about a half cup container for the frig. I put a tbsp of them in my morning oatmeal. I put them in the oatmeal after nuking. I was under impression that it was better that way but I'm not sure where I got that impression.

All the ways I use them is uncooked. but I know there are plenty of people who bake with them.

So ALWAYS eat it ground, no exception.

You can crush flax seeds in a cheapo $30 coffee grinder.
OK, I have a mixer I do it with. But I still want to buy a device that can mix / shredder small quantities of everything possible (e.g. an avocado, nuts) properly. But I wasn't sure what kind of device would be best for this. So maybe a coffee grinder.

it is very inexpensive
How much is it?

I also grind whole ones in a bullet with the flat blade
In a bullet? I can't imagine. You press the flat side of the blade onto the grains? And the grains are in...what is a bullet here? So just cracking the shell is enough? It doesn't need to be chopped smaller? The main thing is that the shell is cracked?

All the ways I use them is uncooked. but I know there are plenty of people who bake with them.
Yes, there are a lot of recipes containing them in umpteen times the recommended daily consumption amount according to some information.

OK, I have a mixer I do it with. But I still want to buy a device that can mix / shredder small quantities of everything possible (e.g. an avocado, nuts) properly. But I wasn't sure what kind of device would be best for this. So maybe a coffee grinder.

How much is it?

In a bullet? I can't imagine. You press the flat side of the blade onto the grains? And the grains are in...what is a bullet here? So just cracking the shell is enough? It doesn't need to be chopped smaller? The main thing is that the shell is cracked?

Yes, there are a lot of recipes containing them in umpteen times the recommended daily consumption amount according to some information.
Yes, the seeds do need to be ground/crushed/shredded or they pass right through and not absorbed

I don't know where you're from, but a cheap coffee/spice grinder can be about $10.
A 'bullet" is a term used for a small single portion blender. I think the term began with one called "Magic Bullet"

Dr Greger has lots of research on using flaxseeds/linseeds--

yes. well you don't HAVE to. but then you wouldn't get the benefits.
A little coffee grinder could be a good investment but if you are only using it to grind flax seeds - well maybe not. there are other appliances - some you might already own that have multiple purposes.
How much is it?
I forgot where you said you lived. but here in the states in 2024, it's pretty easy to find ground flax seed. just after you open the bag - pop it in the freezer. So no grinder is necessary. I buy it for about $5 a pound. in 4 pound bags. I'm pretty sure that is about 25¢ a serving.

Reactions: Emma JC
Yes, saw some coffee grinders on Amazoo, very cheap indeed.

A 'bullet" is a term used for a small single portion blender. I think the term began with one called "Magic Bullet"
Many thanks for the link. Ah, yes, something like that might not be bad, more capacity than a coffee grinder. And it's much easier to get the ground material out than with a blender, the blades / bottom are easier to reach.

3 month for returning at Walmart, that's good, much time for testing, much longer than on Amazon.

Dr Greger has lots of research on using flaxseeds/linseeds--
Yes, indeed. Thank you for the link. OK, so I generally should probably just search there (regarding nutrition), on websites like this, rather than in Google, where you can find all kinds of (contradictory / wrong) answers (regarding nutrition - and in general, of course).

A little coffee grinder could be a good investment but if you are only using it to grind flax seeds - well maybe not.
No, no, there are definitely some other products that I could grind with it. And $10, $20 ...and a bullet like that doesn't seem to be bad either. Maybe even one of them (coffee grinder or Bullet) would be enough. Until now I have always shredded the flaxseeds together with other foods / water in a so-called high-performance blender, that works without problems.

$5 for a pound, I would not have expected this, about $2 here for 500 g (a bit more than a pound, I guess). Some months or a year or so ago $1.35 for 500 g.

• Friendly
I have a magic bullet. And I endorse it.
However, it's not my only blender.
but it is great for my morning smoothie and for just making a smoothie its easier to clean. plus its so small I don't have to put it way when I'm done.

but the point that I was making is that just buy the ground flax seeds and then you don't have to worry about grinding it yourself.

yes. well you don't HAVE to. but then you wouldn't get the benefits.

A little coffee grinder could be a good investment but if you are only using it to grind flax seeds - well maybe not. there are other appliances - some you might already own that have multiple purposes.

I forgot where you said you lived. but here in the states in 2024, it's pretty easy to find ground flax seed. just after you open the bag - pop it in the freezer. So no grinder is necessary. I buy it for about $5 a pound. in 4 pound bags. I'm pretty sure that is about 25¢ a serving.
If you want a versatile small blender I'd go with this, it's like what I have that I've had for years. I use the flat blade for grinding flaxseeds and coffee beans. The flared blades are good for blending liquids.
I don't use for strong spices though

but the point that I was making is that just buy the ground flax seeds and then you don't have to worry about grinding it yourself.
Yes, I understand. That's a good point. But actually there is not anything to worry about it as I have to blend anything else anyway

But chopping up the flaxseed isn't that bad since I use it with other products that I chop up anyway, so I blend everything together. And the advantage of chopping (flaxseeds) myself is that, depending on what I want to prepare, I can decide whether I want to chop them for example into flour or leave them as coarse/grainy as possible, depending on the texture I want.

So I guess, I will get me such a (almost as cheap as a coffee grinder) bullet. And a coffee grinder as well.

Ah, many thanks for the links, yes, that's exactly what I want, great! And even BPA free (if that really meant less or even no chemical exposure from the container)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Yes, they look very good. So they are better than the other ones? What is different? 0,2 - 0,4 better rating.

Yes, they look very good. So they are better than the other ones?

my advice is to read up a little on it. check the reviews. and they both have a few reviews on YouTube.

But I wouldn't put too much effort into it. They are both good units and are pretty close in everything. You probably can't go wrong with any of the ones I and Silva mentioned.

You might even start a new thread - this one has gone off track. See if you can get a few more personal recommendations. Vegans in general do a lot of blending.

As I mentioned earlier I have a magic bullet. I've had it for over 10 years but the chopping base broke. but otherwise its stood up to the test of time. Before the Magic bullet I had the Bella Rocket. It also lasted about 10 years.

My sister swears by the NYT - Cord Cutter reviews.
Their favorite was the NutriBullet 900. I didn't bring that one up because it appears to be twice the price.
And once you get close to $100, maybe just get a "real" blender. Although then you are sacrificing counter space, convenience and ease of cleaning.

Also no matter what you decide - although Amazon has good prices, sometimes you can find even better prices at the big box stores.
What is different? 0,2 - 0,4 better rating.
I don't know what the numbers mean? where did you get them?

I got mine from Aldi at least 10 years ago, maybe $25 at that time. I do like having a flat blade for grinding as well as the slanted blades for blending , and two containers
These 'bullet' style all turn on when you twist on the cup, which can strip the plastic gears. I have mine plugged into a switch that plugs in wall so I can have the blades screwed on and then use the switch to turn it on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I would say, I have a "real" blender (if a so called high performance blender would be one), 1700 ml container, I use daily.

But I wouldn't put too much effort into it. They are both good units and are pretty close in everything. You probably can't go wrong with any of the ones I and Silva mentioned.
Yes, I think so, too. I watched a few videos. And unexpectedly the question arose as to whether I actually really do need such a mixer (in addition to my big so-called high-performance blender). The thought was that I would be able to clean a blender easier/quicker like this and wanted to use it for smaller portions (e.g. 1, 2 acocados) and I would get out the portions much more easily from the container.

I shreddered 15 g flaxseeds today with that high-performance blender very fast and easily. To e.g. mix 1, 2 acocados is not that easy without liquid. And getting them out of the container.

You might even start a new thread - this one has gone off track.
OK, actually I had thought yours and silvas recommended bullets are very good / would be enough. But, yes, maybe I will do so, thank you.

Datel said:
What is different? 0,2 - 0,4 better rating.

I don't know what the numbers mean? where did you get them?
Sorry for my bad expression, I meant these reviews:

XDnYCk9.png

Take a look at the ninja fit and the NutriBullet .

They have 0,2 - 0,4 better rating / reviews. A quarter to about a half of a star better and much more reviews.

These 'bullet' style all turn on when you twist on the cup, which can strip the plastic gears. I have mine plugged into a switch that plugs in wall so I can have the blades screwed on and then use the switch to turn it on and off.

A good idea. I have switches like that too. And so additionally the device can no longer consume electricity when it is switched off (some devices do. like my dehydrator), if it does at all.

Oops, I did not know. Many thanks for the link!

What does it actually (generally) mean that a certain substance (contained in linseed, for example, cyanide) is only toxic to humans above a certain amount? Does that mean that if the amount falls below this amount, it is as if the person had NOT absorbed cyanide at all? So that it is then zero toxic/harmful to humans (for the rest of their lives)? And does that mean the cyanide COMPLETELY leaves the body? Or could it mean that although it is below the level at which it is supposed to be toxic, it can accumulate (and might get toxic at some point)? And/or although it is not toxic, it could potentially have some negative effects (which might be caused alone or in combination with other substances / circumstances)?

Maybe eating (half) a cup of flaxseed in the form of a loaf of bread might not be so unlikely/difficult after all. Aren't there some or even many recipes with not so small amounts of flaxseed?

In summary, the article probably means that flaxseed in quantities that do not exceed e.g. half a cup per day could, with a certain degree of probability, be safe.

I usually nuke my oatmeal.
Sorry, what does the mean?

"Researchers tested flax seeds under “worse case [scenario] conditions with respect to resulting in higher cyanide levels in the blood.” So, “1”: locate the flax seed with the “highest level of cyanide”-forming compounds you can find. So, they went to stores and bought 15 different sources of flax seed, and though the average level was 140 milligrams per kilo, which is about typical, they did find one with 220, so they used that one. “2”: “maximal mechanical destruction” to release the most cyanide; so, they used some crazy 20,000 RPM lab grinder.“3”: eat it all at once on an empty stomach, and then keep the stomach empty. And, they gave it raw, since cooking can often wipe it all out. If the recommended daily dose is like one or two tablespoons of ground flax seed a day—I recommend one in my Daily Dozen checklist—they decided to go with four and a half tablespoons. Okay, so what happened?

The range of cyanide blood levels that one might estimate to possibly be associated with the “clinical symptoms of intoxication” would be like 20 to 40. So, that would be like here or higher, where we want to stay below. So, four and a half tablespoons on an empty stomach of the highest cyanide-containing ultra-ground raw flax seeds they could find and…the highest individual level rise was just under 14, and the average was down around six.

There has to be some amount of flax that takes you over the limit, though. So, they tested nine tablespoons, and 15 tablespoons too. Remember, we start to worry at around 20 to 40. Three and a half teaspoons of raw high-cyanide ground flax on an empty stomach? Hardly a blip. Seven teaspoons at a time? Same thing. Fourteen teaspoons (four and a half tablespoons) and there’s that six. Okay, but what about a little over nine tablespoons—that’s over a half-cup at a time—and that does start skirting toxicity. And finally, what about a whole cup? I don’t even know how you’d eat a whole cup at once, but that is too much, putting you in that potential toxic range for about three hours. So much for the industry’s eight-cups-at-a-time-are-safe. But even in this worse-case scenario situation, one cup raw on an empty stomach at the highest dose they could find, that person still didn’t actually have any clinical symptoms. This is consistent with the fact that there’s not a single published report of cyanide poisoning after consumption of flax seeds anywhere in the literature, even from Swedish health spas, where they evidently give up to 12 tablespoons as a “fibre shock.” Usually, high doses are two or so tablespoons three times a day, and this dose would be “safe with respect to possible acute toxicity of cyanide.”

Excerpt taken from :
Researchers tested flax seeds under “worse case [scenario] conditions with respect to resulting in higher cyanide levels in the blood.” So, “1”: locate the flax seed with the “highest level of cyanide”-forming compounds you can find. So, they went to stores and bought 15 different sources of flax seed, and though the average level was 140 milligrams per kilo, which is about typical, they did find one with 220, so they used that one. “2”: “maximal mechanical destruction” to release the most cyanide; so, they used some crazy 20,000 RPM lab grinder.“3”: eat it all at once on an empty stomach, and then keep the stomach empty. And, they gave it raw, since cooking can often wipe it all out. If the recommended daily dose is like one or two tablespoons of ground flax seed a day—I recommend one in my Daily Dozen checklist—they decided to go with four and a half tablespoons. Okay, so what happened?

The range of cyanide blood levels that one might estimate to possibly be associated with the “clinical symptoms of intoxication” would be like 20 to 40. So, that would be like here or higher, where we want to stay below. So, four and a half tablespoons on an empty stomach of the highest cyanide-containing ultra-ground raw flax seeds they could find and…the highest individual level rise was just under 14, and the average was down around six.

There has to be some amount of flax that takes you over the limit, though. So, they tested nine tablespoons, and 15 tablespoons too. Remember, we start to worry at around 20 to 40. Three and a half teaspoons of raw high-cyanide ground flax on an empty stomach? Hardly a blip. Seven teaspoons at a time? Same thing. Fourteen teaspoons (four and a half tablespoons) and there’s that six. Okay, but what about a little over nine tablespoons—that’s over a half-cup at a time—and that does start skirting toxicity. And finally, what about a whole cup? I don’t even know how you’d eat a whole cup at once, but that is too much, putting you in that potential toxic range for about three hours. So much for the industry’s eight-cups-at-a-time-are-safe. But even in this worse-case scenario situation, one cup raw on an empty stomach at the highest dose they could find, that person still didn’t actually have any clinical symptoms. This is consistent with the fact that there’s not a single published report of cyanide poisoning after consumption of flax seeds anywhere in the literature, even from Swedish health spas, where they evidently give up to 12 tablespoons as a “fibre shock.” Usually, high doses are two or so tablespoons three times a day, and this dose would be “safe with respect to possible acute toxicity of cyanide.”

• Informative