Literature What are you currently reading?

Here I am again having read another Blake Crouch thriller from his early years. This one was published in 2005 and is called "Locked Doors". It starts off kind of slow but really picks up and I couldn't put it down toward the end. It is an exciting crime thriller with 3 of the most evil psychopaths ever! It borders on horror at times and is not for the faint of heart or late night reading!

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Over 20 years ago I read Parable For The Talents by Octavia Butler because it won a bunch of awards.
However I wasn't that impressed with it. So I ended up never reading another one of her books.

Just recently I learned that she was the first (and only?) Black woman to gain popularity and critical acclaim as a major science fiction writer.

Coincidentally, Hoopla was promoting some of her works so I download the audiobook Kindred. And I really like it. Now I'm going to have to go back and read some more of her works.

Over 20 years ago I read Parable For The Talents by Octavia Butler because it won a bunch of awards.
However I wasn't that impressed with it. So I ended up never reading another one of her books.

Just recently I learned that she was the first (and only?) Black woman to gain popularity and critical acclaim as a major science fiction writer.

Coincidentally, Hoopla was promoting some of her works so I download the audiobook Kindred. And I really like it. Now I'm going to have to go back and read some more of her works.

This is a TV series now. I mentioned it in the TV thread.

Today I finished "Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine" by Gail Honeyman. This is an amazing debut novel by a Scottish author published in 2017. Told in her own words, Eleanor's story is both hilarious and tragic. Eleanor is a quirky, socially awkward young woman but as she herself often proclaims, she is "fine." However, this is far from the truth and her tragic past catches up to her. Written with humor there are hints of some very disturbing issues which are finally explained. I really liked this book! It had me in tears at the end. Beautifully written and worth reading.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
Today I finished "Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine" by Gail Honeyman. This is an amazing debut novel by a Scottish author published in 2017. Told in her own words, Eleanor's story is both hilarious and tragic. Eleanor is a quirky, socially awkward young woman but as she herself often proclaims, she is "fine." However, this is far from the truth and her tragic past catches up to her. Written with humor there are hints of some very disturbing issues which are finally explained. I really liked this book! It had me in tears at the end. Beautifully written and worth reading.
Oh yes. I have heard of that. I remembered it as it had such a weird title.

I am getting the prince Harry autobiography delivered today. I thought it might be interesting when I pre-ordered it a couple of months ago as I was reading quite a few celeb books, but now I'm not sure as I am so sick of hearing and reading about Harry and Meghan. The money from it goes to charity at least.

Today I finished an amazing Stephen King book published in 2011. It is called 11/22/63 and you can guess what it is about from that title! My brother recommended this book and it is a winner! At 842 pages, it is a BIG book but I couldn't stop reading it. It is not your "normal" King novel as it is science fiction about time travel. The premise is, what if you could go back in time and stop the assassination of JFK? Time travel is fascinating and King does a great job with it being a master story teller. Great book if you enjoy a time travel story!

Just finished the 5th book in the Cleopatra Fox series by C.J. Archer.

I really like this series. and in General I like CJ Archer books. Hoopla has most of them in AudioBook format.

They are historical fiction/ mystery /romance.
Cleo is a very likable heroine who lives with her aunt and uncle's family in the Mayfair hotel in turn of the century London. Maybe Elizabeth Bennet crossed with Nancy Drew.

Read a book called "Livid" by Patricia Cornwall. I think it is the newest in the Kay Scarpetta series. I have read a few of those in the past. The main character is a medical examiner and the author really was one so there is a lot of accurate descriptions. It was an interesting murder mystery with some scary technology.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Read a book called "Livid" by Patricia Cornwall. I think it is the newest in the Kay Scarpetta series. I have read a few of those in the past. The main character is a medical examiner and the author really was one so there is a lot of accurate descriptions. It was an interesting murder mystery with some scary technology.
I read some of her other books. always a good read

This week I read two David Baldacci books. One is an older one published in 2005 called "The Camel Club" and is the fist of a series. It deals with terrorism and political intrigue and spooks and black ops and all kinds of things of that nature. It is very close in time to 9/11/2001 so it has a ton of info about the Middle East and terrorism of that time. Really good story and I will look for the other books in the series. The other "Long Shadows", is a recent one also part of a series about a FBI consultant who has total recall. It is a very complicated murder mystery and was also an entertaining read. Again I will find other books in the series.

read another Abby Jiminez book, can't remember which one, she is a good author and addresses a variety of topics.... this one was about a girl who's family has genetic ALS... ah I think it was Life's Too Short

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Finished a book called "No Plan B" by Lee Child and Andrew Child (who is the younger brother). This is the newest in the Jack Reacher series and the first one I have ever read. At least I don't remember any others. It's a decent crime thriller and Jack Reacher is a kind of "anti-hero hero" as he pretty much does whatever needed and doesn't care about consequences. I will probably find others in the series because I did enjoy this one.

Finished a book called "No Plan B" by Lee Child and Andrew Child (who is the younger brother). This is the newest in the Jack Reacher series and the first one I have ever read. At least I don't remember any others. It's a decent crime thriller and Jack Reacher is a kind of "anti-hero hero" as he pretty much does whatever needed and doesn't care about consequences. I will probably find others in the series because I did enjoy this one.
I had a friend that was a HUGE Jack Reacher fan. He owned all the books and lent them to me one at a time and in order. For a while I got tired of them but after a while I ended up back at the well. But I haven't read anything after #21, Night School. I do recommend that you try to read them in order. The first ones are so old and popular - should. be easy to find at the library.

My buddy hated that Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher and never watched the films. I did and I like them but I really really liked the new TV series.

His early books rely, IMHO, too much on coincidence. But if you can forgive that they are enjoyable page turners.

Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC