Literature What are you currently reading?

I have read my first Ruth Ware book "The IT Girl" and I will definitely get more of her thrillers. This was really good and I couldn't put it down. A good bit of the book takes place at Oxford University so that was interesting. It is about a group of college friends, one of whom is murdered. After 10 years, it still haunts her roommate and best friend. When the convicted murderer who always proclaimed he was innocent, dies in prison, a journalist raises the question, did he really do it? Sucked me right in!
That was good.:)

I am still reading the Mariah Carey book, but I got my Matthew Perry book in the post yesterday. I might read that first. I keep reading spoilers about it online so I think that would be better.

Reactions: Emma JC
Today I finished another Ruth Ware book called "One by One." It was really good! A corporate retreat at a chalet in the alps goes awry when people start dying. Very good thriller! I like how the author changes perspective to each of the characters. Will look for more of her books!
Also finished "tough customer" by Sandra Brown. A good mystery about a psycho stalker. This is the second in a series so I hope to get the first one. Another good author for this type of book.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Today I finished another Ruth Ware book called "One by One." It was really good! A corporate retreat at a chalet in the alps goes awry when people start dying. Very good thriller! I like how the author changes perspective to each of the characters. Will look for more of her books!
I just looked at my Amazon orders and that is the first book I read of hers. I liked that one the best.:)

Reactions: Chryssie
Since it is Native American Heritage month, my book lists have suggested books about and by Native Americans. I just finished "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich who is part Chippawa and lives in Minnesota. Since I grew up in SW Minnesota, I picked this book which was published in 2012 and won an award. She has written many books and I might read another one. It takes place in 1988 on a reservation in North Dakota. It is told by a 13 year old boy whose mother was assaulted. This book goes into great detail about laws on reservations and the problems solving crimes. There is a huge problem of NA women being raped and even murdered and the crimes are never solved. The new TV show "Alaska Daily" addresses this issue. While the book was interesting and the characters believable, the writing style was a little different. Still a good read and I will probably read another of her novels.

• Informative
Radical Hope - 10 Key Healing Factors from Exceptional Survivors of Cancer and Other Diseases. This is the follow up to Radical Remission by Dr Kelly Turner. I do not have cancer, however I was diagnosed with a very rare lung condition back in 2013, and there is no cure for it at this stage. I want to learn more about all of the wonderful, healing things I can do for myself, to help heal my body of this disease.

Read another Sandra Brown thriller called "Outfox". It was an exciting read about a serial killer. The main character has looked for this killer his entire adult life. Interesting characters and plot twists. Will get more of her books.

Today I read "The Turn of the Key" by Ruth Ware published in 2019. This is my favorite of her books so far! A totally "suck you in" tale of a mysterious country estate with a haunting past. Are there ghosts? The new nanny to difficult children with a past herself doesn't believe in ghosts, but the strange things keep happening. This is a fascinating read that is scary and I couldn't put it down!

Today I finished a book that has affected me quite deeply. It is "The Girl Who Sang to the Buffalo" by Kent Nerburn. This is a non-fiction narrative by a renowned author of Native American history and culture. Though white himself, Mr. Nerburn has studied Native American culture and has written many books on the subject. He is from Minnesota and much of his research concerns NA of this area. Since I grew up in SW Minnesota and I have always been interested in NA history, I chose this book while browsing in the library. The author describes his journey to find the meaning of some disturbing dreams he has had. He is friends with an old NA man and is compelled to go visit him. So begins a fascinating tale of NA spirituality and discovery. I was moved by this story of things we of the white world do not understand. I am going to find more of this author's books.
I have had a little experience myself from a time in high school when I came to know what it feels like to be the minority in an unfamiliar environment. My school basketball team traveled to play a NA school on a reservation. It was a truly humbling experience being in a small group of white kids among the Native Americans. Enlightening only begins to describe the feeling.

Last edited:
Me again! Finished "Mad Honey" by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan. Really good read! It begins as a mystery surrounding the death of a teenage girl with her boyfriend the accused. It becomes something much more when a secret is revealed. It has a lot of information on beekeeping as the suspect's mother is a beekeeper. I kind of skimmed over some of the details. The story is told from the perspective of Olivia, the mom and Lily, the victim. It was another book I couldn't put down.

I read Are You Awake? by Claire McGowan yesterday. I have liked some of her books, but this one was quite dull. I did read to the end to see what happened. 3/5 stars.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Read "Brigands Key" by Ken Pelham. I picked it because it is a Florida book. The author lives in Maitland which is a suburb of Orlando. It is a murder mystery that takes place on a tiny island in the Gulf of Mexico. There is a lot going on including a mysterious death, a treasure hunt, a spreading illness, and a hurricane! Pretty good read!

I finished another Louise Penny book called "The Madness of Crowds." It is a new one of the Inspector Gamache series. It was another good one! It deals with the pandemic and a radical scientific theory as well as murder.

Yesterday. I finally finished Machiavelli's "The Prince," a book I've wanted to read for years. Though it looks short and runs about only 84 pages, it has pretty thick text conceptually. Given that, it read more like a book twice its length. Obviously, it's had a controversial history and it contains plenty of ideas to dispute, but it does try to paint the world in a "as it is" manner (at least for the 16th century) rather than following an abstract ideal. Many of its passages can still shock today. Whether one agrees with its conclusions or not, it demands plenty of attention and will make anyone think about their views of how the world works. It first appeared in print in 1532, but had apparently circulated in manuscript form since around 1516.

I read a non-fiction book called "Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach". This book which was published in 2009 is about the super rich who live in Palm Beach, FL. This is where Trump's Mar-a-Lago is and he is in this book as well as other very famous people. Palm Beach has been the place for rich people to go for over 100 years. The author and his wife lived there for years as he researched this book. It is quite fascinating as these mega million/billionaires are a species not like us regular humans! There are some photos of some of the people in the book as well, Trump included.

• Informative
I just finished "Abandon" by Blake Crouch. I have read several of his newer novels and they are amazing. This is an earlier one published in 2009 and is different from his more recent works. It is a thriller about an expedition to a ghost town in Colorado in the middle of the winter. There is a treasure and murder and it is a really good story that jumps back and forth from 1893 when an entire town's population disappears and the present (2009). Mr. Crouch is a great storyteller!

Yesterday I read "Good Behavior" by Blake Crouch. This was published in 2011 and is 3 short novels called the Letty Dobesh Chronicles. There is or was (I don't know if the show is still on) a TV series on TNT based on this. Again Mr. Crouch shows off his storytelling and character skills in these stories of an ex-con woman who is an addict and a thief.

I have been reading a lot lately! Finished "Queen Sugar" by Natalie Baszile. There is a TV series based on this book. I looked it up and they changed it a LOT! I thought the book was very good and I don't know why they changed it so drastically. It is about a young widow with an 11 year old daughter who inherits an 800 acre sugar cane farm in Louisiana. She has grown up and lived in LA and moving back to the deep south is a huge change. She knows nothing about farming and as a black woman faces all kinds of challenges. It is a story of family and overcoming huge challenges. Worth reading. I might check out the show but I am kind of PO'ed they changed the whole story.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC