Shopping comfortably without Having to Read the labels!

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
What do you think about a place where we can shop comfortably without the need to read the labels?

Hello dear fellow vegans /vegetarians enthusiasts,
My name Vanessa Das Neves, I am 30 years old and I live in Lisbon, Portugal. I became vegetarian 4 years ago. In the beginning it was a little bit tough to find some replacement due to lack of offer in the market. But, I survived 😁😁😁. After sometime of being vegetarian here I noticed that here there is not a vegan grocery store that offers wide range of products, what makes things a little bit difficult for vegans and vegetarians like me. With that I decided to open a vegan grocery store which will not only a grocery, it will be also a community for vegans and vegetarians to feel comfortable when shopping. But, money is always the problem. With that I started a fundraising campaign on Indiegogo to rise funds for my project.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
Hi Vanessa, and welcome to the forum.

I'm actually unsure whether I think that is a good idea. I think you will have a hard time competing with regular grocery stores on price. Also, another good thing about vegan products in regular grocery stores is that it means non-vegans get more exposed to vegan products.

You might also want to check out what happened to Veganz, the world's first vegan supermarket chain that tried to get going in Germany a few years back.

Hi Vanessa, and welcome to the forum.

I'm actually unsure whether I think that is a good idea. I think you will have a hard time competing with regular grocery stores on price. Also, another good thing about vegan products in regular grocery stores is that it means non-vegans get more exposed to vegan products.

You might also want to check out what happened to Veganz, the world's first vegan supermarket chain that tried to get going in Germany a few years back.
Hello Emma! Thank you for the feedback. I will take a look.

well, since you mentioned my name.... welcome to the forum

I know of only one fully vegan grocery store and it is a small store that (it also a second location in a city about 1.5 hours away) - I think they do well because they multi-task in that they have an extensive delivery service and also a bakery/deli. If you wish to check their website etc you can google Coven Market in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Coven Market

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: vanessadasneves229
I've grown up eating vegan foods (as omnivore), and have always loved them, and bought them in regular groceries. While a specialized vegan store would be fun to browse, I have to say I wouldn't be likely to buy much as the products would be very pricey. I have health focused groceries in my area that cater more towards vegans and whole food products and am shocked by how pricey those are!
I frequent US Aldi mostly, as well as Asian and Indian stores

I just wish it would be required to list animal products in ingredient listing

I've grown up eating vegan foods (as omnivore), and have always loved them, and bought them in regular groceries. While a specialized vegan store would be fun to browse, I have to say I wouldn't be likely to buy much as the products would be very pricey. I have health focused groceries in my area that cater more towards vegans and whole food products and am shocked by how pricey those are!
I frequent US Aldi mostly, as well as Asian and Indian stores

I just wish it would be required to list animal products in ingredient listing

I agree - and most foods in fully vegan stores are processed foods, otherwise it would be a fruit/veggie store. I have only been to that store a couple of times so far, as it is a bit of a drive, and yet not far enough to warrant the $15 delivery charge. Trying to eat whole food plant based most of the time means that the local grocery stores are much better value and they carry just enough of the processed vegan food that driving to a specialty store is only for rare occasions.

Emma JC

I agree - and most foods in fully vegan stores are processed foods, otherwise it would be a fruit/veggie store. I have only been to that store a couple of times so far, as it is a bit of a drive, and yet not far enough to warrant the $15 delivery charge. Trying to eat whole food plant based most of the time means that the local grocery stores are much better value and they carry just enough of the processed vegan food that driving to a specialty store is only for rare occasions.

Emma JC
I appreciate all replies. I don't know how is fully vegan store are there in the US, but here in Portugal it's quite different, since Europe has strict laws regarding to food processing and products. There are a lot of things that are allowed in food in the US and it is no allowed in Europe. The vegan food I handpicked to sell in the store is not much different from the ones you find in the supermarket and the price is not much different as well. And in Portugal we encourage fully vegan business as well. 😊

We now have a 100% vegan Convenience store located in a gas station/car wash.
The prices don't seem to be worse than any other convienence store but not really a place to do your weekly shopping.
I've only been there once but I was Amazed by all the hard to find vegan products (like fresh donuts).
Love that at the coffee bar they had an oat milk dispenser.
I think you can take a little tour of the place via their website and photo gallery.

Check out the photos in here

hangry planet

Reactions: PTree15
We now have a 100% vegan Convenience store located in a gas station/car wash.
The prices don't seem to be worse than any other convienence store but not really a place to do your weekly shopping.
I've only been there once but I was Amazed by all the hard to find vegan products (like fresh donuts).
Love that at the coffee bar they had an oat milk dispenser.
I think you can take a little tour of the place via their website and photo gallery.

Check out the photos in here

hangry planet

That's very cool!

Emma JC

Bom Dia e boa sorte, Vanessa!

I wish you all the best with your project.

Here in Gemany, in the city where I live (about 600 K inhabitants), there's a "vegan supermarket" (really, it's more of a grovery store) that was opened about 10 years ago.

They have been doing reasonably well over the time, and are offering both packed vegan specialty items and also fresh organic fruits and vegetables. To be fair, I only go there about once a month to buy vegan specialty products (it's at the other end of town) and not to buy everyday items like fruit, vegetables or toothpaste, but then, here in Germany, I can get a lot of vegan products (drinks, cheese, cold cuts/sausages) in the normal supermarket.

In addition to the store, they also have a web order business where they sell the same items that they have in the shop and either send it by mail or personally deliver it within a small radius.

Some pictures on google to give you some idea:

Also, what's the name of your shop, and have you already entered it into the most used search engines (e.g. Vegan Restaurants in Lisbon, Portugal )

Last edited: