Retired grass fed beef rancher & mechanical engineer

Rancher_1964

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
New here and looking at exploring the site for information. My current forum experience is primarily focused on mechanical "stuff" so this is new LOL.
Just watched the new NetFlix 4 parter on "you are what you eat" twins study. Honestly pretty doubtful that 4- 8 weeks would accomplish anything.

I guess seeing the beef cattle feedlots, chicken farms, fish farms, and hog "farm" operations really stunned me, somehow I knew about that but not just how bad it is.

Growing up on a small ranching operation where we raised quarter horses and grass fed beef through slaughter (no finishing at feed lots) my experience at wonderful country living was a real life scaled down version of Yellowstone without the train station. One of the "Lucky Ones" for sure.

Just too damn many people on this planet was my mother's comment when it came to world problems back in the 1960's, can't say I feel much different these days.

At any rate honestly interested in transitioning to a Vegan diet and yeah, that Netflix show did it.

Last edited:
OMG. We were just wondering if it that Doc would make any kind of impact.
So glad you dropped by here.
The producers are the Vogt Foundation. Their address is 548 Market Street 40873, San Francisco, CA 94104
Maybe you could send them a note, I bet they would Love to hear from you.

Your story may parallel Howard Lyman, The Mad Cowboy. Have you heard of him?

welcome to the forum

There are as many ways to transition as there are vegans and the main takeaway I have is that it may take a few tries and don't be discouraged.

That said I wouldn't give it up for the world as we love love love our food and we keep it simple, lots of starches (potatoes, rice, pastas, oatmeal) and lots of veggies including kale and lots of frozen fruits, lots of beans and lentils.

We watched that doc the other night and looking at the meat / fish being cooked made me nauseous.

One thing they mentioned in the film was to keep your spices etc the same just put them with planted based foods instead of with meat.

All the best with your transition and let us know how we can help.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Congratulations to you.
I am however curious. When you were living the natural-type life however, certainly you understood that you were raising
animals, got to know them, yet were then slaughtering and eating them. How was that entire experience?.
Surely there were times when it made you think and question it?. Did you empathize with the animals then, or only after
seeing one documentary?. Did you use 'artificial insemination" to im,pregnate the steers?.
Also, does your health/weight have anything to do with your change?. Is this change for health, environmental, or compassionate reasons?. \
You can answer whatever questions here that you are comfortable addressing. If you can be specific that would help to understand.

You could try a 30 day vegan challenge from many websites including PCRM.org, or search online for others. Some human
support helps, so you can have someone to talk to and make suggestions, etc. Change can be a challenge. Find someone
in social media, chat rooms, nextdoor, etcetera. Joining a local vegetarian or vegan group is another thought.

I would also watch many other documentaries like Cowspiracy, Forks over knives, The last Pig, Peaceable kingdom- the journey
homer, Speciesism, Seaspiracy, etcetera. The insight that they share is stunning. Here is also a short video about "humane slaughter".
It is IMPORTANT to note that Youtube stated--this video may be innapropriate for some ages, I I had to sign into my account to be
able to watch it. THAT says it all, God forbid children see a violent video which tells them where their burger or wings came from.

Animal Ag as a whole does not like vegans or veganism. We reveal too many truths. Cheers.

This was really informative for me especially regarding amino acids discussion.

Dietary Protein and Amino Acids in Vegetarian Diets—A Review

It is commonly, although mistakenly, thought that the amino acid intake may be inadequate in vegetarian diets. As we and others have argued, the amounts and proportions of amino acids consumed by vegetarians and vegans are typically more than sufficient to meet and exceed individual daily requirements, provided a reasonable variety of foods are consumed and energy intake needs are being met. The claim that certain plant foods are “missing” specific amino acids is demonstrably false.​

Yes, yes, yes!!
I have been saying that for years.
in a nutshell, you will get enough protein IF you are getting enough calories AND are eating a variety of food.

In a well researched and written essay which is a lot less dense your citation, check this out.

The life of a cattle rancher may be hard to understand for some. I have been involved in animal rescue for decades, and still volunteer at a "no kill" dog shelter. It is a fair question as to how you balance the fact you will rescue a calf from a flood and do everything you can to save your cattle that goes beyond just the financial impact, yet sell the steers to slaughter when the time comes. Yes I was conflicted in later years, but certainly not while growing up on the ranch. I have no answer other than that was the way of life for us. We had breeding cows that we retired to pasture when they got too old to produce so there is that. No answer but those who have watched Yellowstone may get some feel for it. I would dearly love to nuke a dog meat market BTW.

Regarding whether we are going vegan for health or environmental reasons I would have to lean towards environmental. When I am tempted by bacon or a burger all I will have to do is picture the factory feedlots or a rainforest tree being toppled to make way for (crappy quality) grazing land. My mom made it to 100 and my dad to 95, and I have no interest in going beyond 90 so probably not so much for health reasons.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see transitioning to vegan as being super difficult, but time will tell of course. Pretty easy for my wife as she is mostly vegetarian anyway and about 45 years ago our doctor put her on a "nothing 4 legged" diet due to a significant family history of cancer. The only dairy product she consumes is butter on occasion and she will be able to do without chicken and fish which are only once a week anyway.

Cheers y'all I will just be spectating for now, and maybe give a 6 month progress report.

Last edited:
The life of a cattle rancher may be hard to understand for some. I have been involved in animal rescue for decades, and still volunteer at a "no kill" dog shelter. It is a fair question as to how you balance the fact you will rescue a calf from a flood and do everything you can to save your cattle that goes beyond just the financial impact, yet sell the steers to slaughter when the time comes. Yes I was conflicted in later years, but certainly not while growing up on the ranch. I have no answer other than that was the way of life for us. We had breeding cows that we retired to pasture when they got too old to produce so there is that. No answer but those who have watched Yellowstone may get some feel for it. I would dearly love to nuke a dog meat market BTW.

Regarding whether we are going vegan for health or environmental reasons I would have to lean towards environmental. When I am tempted by bacon or a burger all I will have to do is picture the factory feedlots or a rainforest tree being toppled to make way for (crappy quality) grazing land. My mom made it to 100 and my dad to 95, and I have no interest in going beyond 90 so probably not so much for health reasons.
Thank you for sharing. I have never been in your shoes but it certainly must have been an interesting profession.
I was simply a consumer of the animal products, until I woke up over 25 years ago and stopped. On this website
below, they have severeal stories from ex-animal farmers you may find interesting. They also have a lot of other
articles to share. You searched for ex-farmers - Free From Harm

You also might enjoy Dr. Greger's nutritionfacts.org many blogs and videos on multiple topics,, and plant chompers video's on youtube.
Change is not always easy but I admire you and your wife for the efforts. The animals thank you.

Reactions: Emma JC
The life of a cattle rancher may be hard to understand for some. I have been involved in animal rescue for decades, and still volunteer at a "no kill" dog shelter. It is a fair question as to how you balance the fact you will rescue a calf from a flood and do everything you can to save your cattle that goes beyond just the financial impact, yet sell the steers to slaughter when the time comes. Yes I was conflicted in later years, but certainly not while growing up on the ranch. I have no answer other than that was the way of life for us. We had breeding cows that we retired to pasture when they got too old to produce so there is that.
I have a friend I met through a Facebook group for vegans and farmers. She runs beef cattle and wool sheep here in Australia with I think about 2,000 head all up. We talk sometimes about her lifestyle and I have to admit I don't quite understand how she thinks in regard to the killing of the animals. She is a very high welfare farmer and works tirelessly for her flock. She loves the farming life and works harder than anyone else I know. From what I can tell, she believes that we have to eat meat and also that wool is a natural and important textile. She sees her role as managing the process of feeding people a healthy natural diet and maximising use of natural fibres, while creating a great life for the animals she breeds. Her view about killing is that it's simply a part of life and that the animals are there for that purpose. While I don't completely understand this view, I have some sympathy for the notion and do kind of get the attraction of such a life. Talking about these kinds of things with her is always enjoyable and thought-provoking.