Literature What are you currently reading?

Oh, I had forgotten to mention that I recently read a great new series by Naomi Novik, the „Scholomance“ trilogy.
Oh! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I had read the first two before the third came out and somehow didn't notice when the third came out and forgot about it.
I put it on hold at my library. I have about a 4 month wait.

As any Naomi Novik book I have read so far, I feel the books are very funny, well written, and I strongly endorse them.
I have read all the novels that Naomi has put out. And some of her short stories. She is a terrific author.
In 16 years she has published 14. books.
I started with the Temeraire Series. Nine books. They are what us SF fans call Alternate History. It answers the question what if they had dragons during the Napoleonic wars. Master and Commander meets The Dragons of Pern.

Uprooted is a fantasy, and Spinning Silver is a fairy tale retelling.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
Incorporate Lifespan Development and Sociological Concepts into Leisure and Health Programming.
(I am currently studying for a qualification as a Recreational Therapist).

Reactions: Emma JC
After reading crime thrillers for a while, I decided on a sci-fi book from the new book shelves the last time I was at the library. "Burrowed" by Mary Baader Kaley is a dystopian story of a world divided into the Subterraneans who live underground and the Omniterraneans who live on the surface. A lab created plague has made humans into almost 2 species. The Subters and Omnis are very different and a new plague has been unleashed that threatens the total extinction of all humans. There is a lot of genetic stuff as a group of Subters try to find a cure. It was interesting but I hate books that just end and leave you hanging without knowing there is a sequel. Since this book was just published, who knows how long I may have to wait if the author even writes another book.

Me again! Read another Harlan Coben book called "Win". It is a first person narrative about Windsor Horne Lockwood III or Win as he is called. I first met this character in another book where he was not the main character. This book is all about him and the crimes he both commits and solves. He is an uber rich anti-hero who takes the law into his own hands and is very good at it. I really like these books!
@Lou I found "Uprooted" and a few other Naomi Novik books at the library. I want to read the dragon series in order though so will have to try reserving them.

I want to read the dragon series in order though so will have to try reserving them.
That shouldn't be too hard. The first dragon book is now almost 10 years old so the demand for it should be low. The timing could be tricky, Like maybe wait till you have almost finished a book before you reserve the next one. Although a few enforced breaks might be a good thing.

Peter Jackson had the movie rights for a while but didn't do anything with them and they have reverted to Novik. not sure a good movie is even possible, It would have to be very dependent on CGI

I think Game of Thrones did a good job with the dragons. I pretty much watched that show for the dragons even though they weren't the main focus. I would love a show with dragons as the stars but I imagine the cost would be really high for the CGI.

Some fans did some wiki pages on the dragons in Novak's novels. Something like 60 different species.

Reactions: Chryssie
Me again! Read another Harlan Coben book called "Win". It is a first person narrative about Windsor Horne Lockwood III or Win as he is called. I first met this character in another book where he was not the main character. This book is all about him and the crimes he both commits and solves. He is an uber rich anti-hero who takes the law into his own hands and is very good at it. I really like these books!
@Lou I found "Uprooted" and a few other Naomi Novik books at the library. I want to read the dragon series in order though so will have to try reserving them.
I've read that one. I have read his earlier ones, but then I stopped.

I read "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I hadn't read a fantasy novel in quite a while so I really enjoyed the change of pace. I will see if the library has the first of the dragon series now.

Reactions: Emma JC and Andy_T
I read "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik. I hadn't read a fantasy novel in quite a while so I really enjoyed the change of pace. I will see if the library has the first of the dragon series now.
Uprooted is such a good book. It won many awards. It's based on Polish folklore so it's a fairy tale re-telling. Even though most of the readers won't be familiar with the fairy tales its based on.
Spinning Silver by Novak is another fairy tale re-telling. Most of us will recognize the elements of Rumpelstilskin. Spinning Silver collected more than its fair share of accolades and awards, too.

I just got the third book in the Scholomance series, another book by Novak. The Scholomance is like a deadly version of Hogwarts.

Finished another Harlan Coben book called "Live Wire." Another good one in the Myron and Will series published in 2012. Murder, missing persons, drugs, vigilante violence. Good fun! I have to go to the library online now and look for some books to reserve.

I finished "Shattered" by James Patterson and James D. Born published last year. It was a good quick read in the Michael Bennet of the NYPD series. Typical crime story taking place in Washington D.C.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I picked up "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik when I dropped off the library books and I am liking it a lot. This evening I got an email notification that "His Majesty's Dragon" had become available to pick up. I have a few days to get it so I will probably finish "Spinning Silver" before I pick it up.