Literature What are you currently reading?

Looking for a few suggestions of books for my 75 year old sister who lives in Oregon... Nothing too heavy or dark but,not too hallmark type either - she is a bit picky... She also lives in a small town,
so not sure what her library has available...
My reading these days is limited to Vegan or garden books so I am of No help to her....

Looking for a few suggestions of books for my 75 year old sister who lives in Oregon... Nothing too heavy or dark but,not too hallmark type either - she is a bit picky... She also lives in a small town,
My reading these days is limited to Vegan or garden books so I am of No help to her....
The best book I read last year (and maybe this decade) was a Gentleman in Moscow. Its just 4 years old now so it should be relatively easy to find.
Another great read is Where the Crawdads Sing. This book has been on the Best Seller's list for months so it might be a little hard to find.
If she has an e-book reader she should be able to get these books in e-book form from her local library without a trip to the library.
If she doesn't have an e-book reader, you should buy her one. :)

Reactions: Sax and 1956
The best book I read last year (and maybe this decade) was a Gentleman in Moscow. Its just 4 years old now so it should be relatively easy to find.
Another great read is Where the Crawdads Sing. This book has been on the Best Seller's list for months so it might be a little hard to find.
If she has an e-book reader she should be able to get these books in e-book form from her local library without a trip to the library.
If she doesn't have an e-book reader, you should buy her one. :)
Thanks @Lou ! I will recommend those to her... as for the e-book reader she is even Less tech savvy than me! She is even having difficulty with her smart phone now after having it for a few years... She is going through a rough time and has become a bit stubborn...

Thanks @Lou ! I will recommend those to her... as for the e-book reader she is even Less tech savvy than me! She is even having difficulty with her smart phone now after having it for a few years... She is going through a rough time and has become a bit stubborn...
Yes there are lots of people and for lots of reasons that people don't like or want an e-reader. But when my library was totally closed because of the lock down, my e-reader was my only source of new books.

also e-readers are way easier to use than smart phones.

Anyway I hope she can get those books and I hope she enjoys them.

Reactions: 1956

I would suggest that you find the nearest town/library to her and you can likely go online and look to see what is available.

She is older than I am and yet I would be willing to bet that she would like the same kind of books.
Maeve Binchy, of course
Susan Mallery, has tons of books and many are connected/series tend to romance but with interesting stories
J.D.Robb's Eve Dallas & Roarke "In Death" series spans many years and there are tons of them, slightly futuristic, Eve is a detective, Roarke is Irish handsome/rich/romantic
all of Nora Roberts book (aka JDRobb)
Christina Lauren has a couple of interesting books
Lydia Bird

Hope that helps a bit.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: Lou and 1956
I would suggest that you find the nearest town/library to her and you can likely go online and look to see what is available.

Emma JC
My library is closed but you can order online and they have curbside pickup twice a week,

Oh, you know in my town the library will make deliveries if you can't get there yourself.

Reactions: Emma JC and 1956

She is older than I am and yet I would be willing to bet that she would like the same kind of books.
Maeve Binchy, of course
Susan Mallery, has tons of books and many are connected/series tend to romance but with interesting stories
J.D.Robb's Eve Dallas & Roarke "In Death" series spans many years and there are tons of them, slightly futuristic, Eve is a detective, Roarke is Irish handsome/rich/romantic
Lydia Bird

Hope that helps a bit.

Emma JC

Maeve Binchy, of course

Lydia Bird

Hope that helps a bit.

Emma JC
Thank you So much @Emma JC !
She is Not a “typical “ 75 year old!!
Up until 3 years ago she acted half her age...

Reactions: Emma JC
I just finished "Dungeon Party" by John Gastil. This is a book about a group of gamers playing the game Dungeon Lords which is of course Dungeons and Dragons under another name. I have little knowledge of this game but I have played online role-playing fantasy games so I could somewhat relate. There is reference to an online game also which is World of Warcraft called World of Karnage. Sometimes this book felt like satire but other times was serious and sad. There was a lot of personal interactions within the group both in the game and in real life. The author is a professor at Penn State who studies group behavior and is a lifetime gamer. Interesting read especially if you are a gamer!

Yesterday I started reading Angie Thomas's latest book called "Concrete Rose." I am about 2/3 through it. It is a prequel to "The Hate U Give" and is really good as all her other books have been.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I am loving this book so much, I find myself reading slower than I already normally do. I do not want it to end. What an imagination she has!

View attachment 23452
I just finished this book. Wow! At first I thought it was just weird, then I got totally sucked in! What a crazy story! I loved it! Now I will have to find her other books!

Reactions: Dedalus and Lou
I ran out of Hoopla "borrows" this month. First time that happened. Been really going thru the Mystery audiobooks. but we get more borrows tomorrow. TG this is a short month.

saw on Hoopla some vegan Instant-pot recipe books to check out.

Just finished Rules of Civility by Amor Towles.

I started it last winter and read it in spurts. but I really liked it. I love this author's style.

I recommend it highly.

Just an example:

“As a quick aside, let me observe that in moments of high emotion....if the next thing you're going to say makes you feel better, then it's probably the wrong thing to say. This is one of the finer maxims that I've discovered in life. And you can have it, since it's been of no use to me.”

Reactions: Chryssie
I just saw he has another book. you can get it on Amazon for free.

You Have Arrived at Your Destination - Kindle Edition​

by Amor Towles

hurry. I think its just for today.

Last edited:
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a novella and I'm trying not to finish it too fast. So I'm also reading Animals, Property and the Law by Gary Francione. I'm definitely not at risk of reading that one too fast but I like it so far.

Not something that I am reading but, I just heard an interview with the author of a book called
Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future by Elizabeth Kolbert
It is about Climate Change and the role humans plays in nature, sounds Very interesting

Not something that I am reading but, I just heard an interview with the author of a book called
Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future by Elizabeth Kolbert
It is about Climate Change and the role humans plays in nature, sounds Very interesting
That author's name rings a bell. Oh yes, she wrote, The Sixth Extinction.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou