Literature What are you currently reading?

That author's name rings a bell. Oh yes, she wrote, The Sixth Extinction.
Yes, "The Sixth Extinction" was good but a little over complicated if I remember rightly. I tend to collect books on themes like this.

I just finished this book. Wow! At first I thought it was just weird, then I got totally sucked in! What a crazy story! I loved it! Now I will have to find her other books!
I finished it too. (I wasn’t kidding when I said I was reading it slow). Terrific. I need to re-read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. That is one of those books where then end drops a hammer on you. All hail the Raven King!

Reactions: Brian W
I just finished a fun little crime story called "Murder to the Metal" by Annie Hogsett. It was light reading and had humor and an interesting set of characters. There are other books about the same characters that I will have to read now.

Reactions: Emma JC and Ahimsa
last winter I got into the habit of listening to audio books I got from Hoopla.
I read or listened to a whole bunch of C.J. Archer books. She writes these hybrid novels. Part mystery, part historical fiction, part supernatural and part romance. If books were food - these would be potato chips.

Liking her books led me to Julie McElwain. Her books are sort of similar but instead of the supernatural she includes time travel.

Her books have as a main character a former FBI agent who has been transported to 1815 England.

Anyway I just finished the last book in a series of 5. the first novel is titled A Murder in Time.

I'm going to be forced to take a break for a while because I already used up all my borrows from Hoopla. Sheesh and the month isn't even half over.

But that is good, I gotta give the chips a break.

Reactions: Emma JC
last winter I got into the habit of listening to audio books I got from Hoopla.
I read or listened to a whole bunch of C.J. Archer books. She writes these hybrid novels. Part mystery, part historical fiction, part supernatural and part romance. If books were food - these would be potato chips.

Liking her books led me to Julie McElwain. Her books are sort of similar but instead of the supernatural she includes time travel.

Her books have as a main character a former FBI agent who has been transported to 1815 England.

Anyway I just finished the last book in a series of 5. the first novel is titled A Murder in Time.

I'm going to be forced to take a break for a while because I already used up all my borrows from Hoopla. Sheesh and the month isn't even half over.

But that is good, I gotta give the chips a break.

thanks for the suggestions - my library does not have one CJ Archer book... whacked, it does have 4 of Julie McElwain's so I have downloaded those - love chips!!!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

thanks for the suggestions - my library does not have one CJ Archer book... whacked, it does have 4 of Julie McElwain's so I have downloaded those - love chips!!!

Emma JC
In your library's search box., try spelling C.J. Archer with the periods. I don't know why but it seems to make a difference. you might also try searching for a book, her newest book is Murder at the Mayfair Hotel. and then going from there.
My library has 36 entries under C.J. Archer. One thing to be somewhat aware of is that she has multiple series. I don't think it matters which series you read first but it helps to start with book one in a series. I liked the Glass and Steele series the best. The author must too. there are at least 10 of them and they seem to be still going. My second and third favorite was the Emily Chambers series and the Ministries series. She has written some straight up romances, too. but I skipped them.

She also sometimes has the first book in the series for free. but it takes a little bit of searching. or subscribe to her newsletter and she will clue you in.

Bookbub has the first Glass and Steele book for free.

I think she is betting you can't just read one.

Let me know what you think of the "In Time" series.

In your library's search box., try spelling C.J. Archer with the periods. I don't know why but it seems to make a difference. you might also try searching for a book, her newest book is Murder at the Mayfair Hotel. and then going from there.

yup, I searched every which way including by title, with and without periods, and there is nary a one.... very strange

so I just searched my library actualy database, instead of through Libby, and there are four audio books that show up under Hoopla but those do not show up in Libby - oh well, will read the McElwain ones

Emma JC

Over here Hoopla has the most CJ Archer. Audio and ebooks. Do I remember right - Canada doesn't have Hoopla?

Just finished Throne of Glass. It was great. Its a series and I've put the next book on hold
In the meantime I'm reading another Mary Russell novel. I'm reading A Letter of Mary by Laurie King. I may be reading these books out of order cause a lot of time and things have happened since the first book in the series.
Mary Russell is Sherlock Holmes' apprentice.
I'm also listening to A Starless Sea. it is pretty weird but good.

Over here libraries are still closed but for limited hours of curbside pickup. The librarian who greets me on Wednesdays now knows my name. Not sure if this says something good or bad about me.

I have finished another book by Annie Hogsett called "Too Lucky to Live". I should have read this one before the other book I read by her about these characters. It was a good crime book that has humor and likable characters. The story is told in first person by a young woman who is quite the free spirit. She meets a blind man who wins a huge lottery and all kinds of crazy things happen to them. I would read more books about them if she continues the series.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have finished another book by Annie Hogsett called "Too Lucky to Live". I should have read this one before the other book I read by her about these characters. It was a good crime book that has humor and likable characters. The story is told in first person by a young woman who is quite the free spirit. She meets a blind man who wins a huge lottery and all kinds of crazy things happen to them. I would read more books about them if she continues the series.
sounds good. I'm gong to put it on my list.

Reactions: Chryssie
I started Seinfeldia last night. It's about the sitcom Seinfeld, obviously. :D

I keep buying books again. I get into a bad habit of doing that when I start listening to a lot to podcasts! :D
Fear Less, How To Win at life without losing yourself - Dr Pippa Grange.
The XX Brain - The Ground Breaking Science empowering women to prevent dementia - Dr Lisa Mosconi.
Seinfeldia - How a show about nothing changed everything - Jennifer Armstrong.
Becoming Bullet Proof - Life Lessons from a Secret Service agent - Evy Poumpouras.
I was looking back to see when I bought that book, October. I have read all the others. I was reading through my kindle books instead. I still have 29 books on there.

I am sick of the crap books on Amazon prime. Most of the ones that are free with prime are never anything I would interested in reading.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC